Sugar!!!

tawashacowan
tawashacowan Posts: 3
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I am having a major problem controlling my sugar intake. MFP put me on 24g of sugar and I cannot seems to make the goal. I am always over by at least 10 to 20 grams. I'm not eating high fat or sugary foods, bit it does not seem to matter. I know cutting sugar will help my fitness goals tremendously. Can anyone help?

Replies

• leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    If we can see your diary we can offer some assistance. :)
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Yes, dear. In order to get any help, you'll need to make your diary public :)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Sometimes the natural sugars in fruits and some veggies will really add up. I usually don't worry about these. Unless you are diabetic, pre-diabetic, or it runs in your family, I wouldn't worry too much about it--unless your doc has told you to watch your sugar intake of course. :smile:
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    I was having the same issue to I talked to a nutritionist about it. She says not to worry so much about HOW much sugar your eating but WHERE it is coming from. Whether it's from natural sources or added sugar. Dairy for example has natural sugars, as does fruit and some veggies. Don't worry so much about those. Now if I go over on my sugar for the day I just take into account where it's coming from and try not to worry so much about it! I focus more on being over on my protein and fiber instead of getting in a panic about my sugars!! Hope this helps!!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    MFP doesn't differentiate between the various Types of Sugar, specifically there is no difference between naturally occuring sugar that would be in a piece of fruit, and the tablespoons of refined sugar one might put in their coffee.

The naturally occurring sugars aren't as much of a problem as they're all basic carbohydrates in the purest form.

It's the refined and added sugars you want to be aware of, so if you're loading up on items that are non-naturally sweetened , that's where you want to count your 24 grams.

Cheers
  • I would say adjust the type of food you you are choosing first. Watch out for non-fat foods...that means more sugar in most cases. Also watch the fruit juices even if they are 100% natural. In general if it's processed, most will add sugar. I always go for more lean chicken or turkey, beef, veggies, whole grains - again watch for some processed meats as they will add...you guessed it - SUGAR!. As you have found out sugar is everywhere!
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    JerseyGirlHeart Posts: 133 Member
    Don't worry about how many grams, but what kind of sugar you are in taking. Like one piece of fruit can easily go over the limit MFP gives you. Stay away from refined sugars and high fructose corn syrup. I eat a lot of fruit, so sometimes my limit is like over 100's of grams. It's ridiculous.
  • Thanks for all the great advice. I have made my diary public. I believe most of my sugar is coming from fruits and some of the low fat foods I eat. I know there are some days when I give in to the sweet demon, so I expect my sugar to be higher on those days. At this point I will be more cognisant of where my sugars are coming from. Thanks everyone!!
This discussion has been closed.