I think i'm broken, Now what?

healthykae
healthykae Posts: 190 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
So.. I think i'm broken. I did the 30 day shred; I don't have 10 lbs weights, so I used my 20lbs weights to do all the exercises, it was level 1. I pushed through but my arms felt like jelly and I felt like I worked out harder than I had with my trainer....After the DVD, I still felt like I had a little energy in my legs, so I went for a 40 min speed walk with a friend.

This morning, I still have major soreness in my arms but part of the 30 day shred is doing it everyday, should I push through again?
Or should I really go buy 10 lbs weight. Jillian doesn't say which weights to use, what does everyone else use?

Replies

• tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    I use 2 (3lb weights) to start off my first week ,then every 10 days i'm gonna go up a couple lbs..
    Don't pull any muscles and hurt yourself...
  • healthykae
    Wow. Thank you for the tip. I think I definitely need to lower the weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    So.. I think i'm broken. I did the 30 day shred; I don't have 10 lbs weights, so I used my 20lbs weights to do all the exercises, it was level 1. I pushed through but my arms felt like jelly and I felt like I worked out harder than I had with my trainer....After the DVD, I still felt like I had a little energy in my legs, so I went for a 40 min speed walk with a friend.

This morning, I still have major soreness in my arms but part of the 30 day shred is doing it everyday, should I push through again?
    Or should I really go buy 10 lbs weight. Jillian doesn't say which weights to use, what does everyone else use?

If you are lifting heavy weights you should not do the same thing within 48 hours of doing it. So don't do it today.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Anyway to go easy today as you don't want to go too hard or you could do some real damage.

Take Care!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    For goodness sakes - really 20 pound weights??? I don't know how you got through. Everyone I know uses 3 or 5 pound weights max except maybe for the chest flies. I can't imagine doing it with even 8 pound weights the whole way through!!

I use 3 pound for most and that is plenty. There a few exercises that I use 5 pound for - but my arms are usually jelly by the end using 3 pound.

If you used 20 pound, I definitely would not be doing again until you get lesser weight. Seriously, I don't think I could even do 5 reps of most of those moves with 20 pound weights - I'm amazed.......
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    use something that weighs similar amounts, dont spend money on shiny weights!!!
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Holy cow! I use 3 pounds and feel like I'm going to die but there are some moves where i should he using 5 pounds. But 20?! I stated aching just reading that!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Holy moly woman! I use 5# weights for all of the exercises/levels. There are probably some that I could use more weight on, but I got the rest of the workout left, so there's no way! I have been doing the 30DS & some sort of cardio almost every day.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Ummmm.... I started with 2lb weights and am now just worked up to 5 lb weights with her. My husband started with 5 lbs and is up to 8 lbs and he has 15" biceps. With that workout, you should probably not use that heavy of weights. I think you can take a couple of days off to recover and get lighter weights for sure.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    double holy cow!! I started with 1 pound wts(actually cans of chilli) the 1st day and I am now up to 3 pounds in week 2 ( I am actually spending about 20 days at each level due to an achilles injury and surgery. You dont want to tear up your shoulders or your elbows-- back the wt down and for sure rest for a couple of days after that type of work out-- go run or walk or something instead.

good luck
  • Whoo! 20 pound weights with that DVD is quite a bit. I would definitely get some lighter weights, some 5s and 10s, maybe even 3s. Once you get to level 3, 20 pounds will be very hard as there are some portions where you are doing cardio with the weights, like jumping jacks and shadow boxing. Unless you are totally buff (which you may very well be:), but in case you are not...), I don't think the 20s will work for that part. I usually use 5s or less for that section. As far as working out today, I would go ahead and try to get through it (as long as you just are having soreness as opposed to pain in your muscles. Like Tammy said, don't hurt yourself). Maybe use soup cans or no weights until you get some lighter ones. Good luck!
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Yeah I ordered the 30 Day Shred with the Kit and it came with the mat and 2 3lb weights. I believe 5 lbs is the most you should be using with it. I would also take a day off in between like do it Monday day off Tuesday. I been working out nonstop for like 2 weeks and know my knee is all messed up!:frown: So I believe you definitely have to let your body recover.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Edited for accidental double post!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    I had to do half her workout, and take a few weeks to get the whole workout in on less intensity. In fact it took me from Christmas to April to actually be able to start over again and complete the 6 week program I used. I did what I could, I did it how I could. I kept starting over until I felt I could handlie it. I walked like a crab a lot. By the end I was feeling like superwoman!
  • healthykae
    Thank you so much for all your insight! I actually did some strenuous yoga on Tuesday so between the 20lb 30 day shred and the yoga, i'm pretty sore still!

Thanks again for all of the advice and tips! Got some lighter weights and ready to go as soon as I'm not as sore!
This discussion has been closed.