Hey, runners...

Options
Okay, I feel like I'm constantly complaining about something or other, but really I just don't know how to fix things... So I need some help.

My calves are seriously killing me. I stretch them before and after every run, but halfway through I feel like they turn into rocks or like somebody is cutting them with knives. I've been drinking water, eating bananas (my father thought it may be low potassium...?) and some other stuff that seems like it should be right... It just keeps getting worse.

I don't want to give up on running in the 5k in September with my dad... Is there something I can do?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Low sodium? That gives me cramps. Or you have the wrong shoes. You have 3 small muscles that run down your calf that control the way you land your foot on the ground, and if you have the wrong shoes, or not enough cushioning they can get easily damaged. I would see a physio, and get your gait analysed.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? How many miles are you putting on in a week and how many miles are on your current shoes?
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    After almost an 8 year hiatus from running I am trying to get back to doing it. I'm having the same trouble right now too. My water, potassium and sodium intake should be good so now I'm taking a look at my shoes. I over pronate and think my shoes may not be right for running. They've been ok for walking.