A Victory Over the American Road Trip!

Options
JDRBT
JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
Last weekend, I sang in a friend's wedding in Yosemite.

It was a BEAUTIFUL ceremony (not a dry eye in the house, including yours truely).

That said - I had to drive about 20 hrs ONE WAY. I left home around 5:30pm Thursday night, stopped to sleep for 3 hrs, and arrived at 3pm Friday afternoon. The wedding was on Saturday, so I spent Friday night in beautiful Yosemite - and left right after the cake cutting to head back home. So over the course of about 3 days, I was on the road for about 40 hrs.Most of the trip, I was out of cell phone range too, so my app couldn't help me track my calories.

In my old frame of mind, I would have used this trip as an excuse to do a tour of drive-thrus, but NOT THIS TIME! Being on a strict time and financial budget, I didn't have time for the jump food. I stopped at grocery stores and filled a small cooler with veggies, fruit, jugs of water, bits of cheese and protein bars

Now, I haven't slept much - and the necessary amounts of caffine were daunting - so I probably didn't lose weight on this trip. (I'm not officially weighing in until later in the week when I have some decent rest behind me.) HOWEVER I know I didn't gain any considerable amount either and THAT makes me happy. :)

So the success here is that I drove through 3 states with NO FAST FOOD, despite it being a mini-vacation and driving for roughly 10+ hrs/day!

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration. I am going to be travelling a lot this summer. I must remind myself this is not a free for all! I have worked too hard. There is no reason I can't pack a cooler like you did and make it a success. I am glad you had a great time at the wedding and a sucessful road trip~
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Good for you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

What did you sing at the wedding?
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    thats great! my hubby is military so we road trip quite a bit to see family. and traveling with a baby makes trips longer. so drive thru windows seem to be the most convenient and time saving. but your idea of using a cooler makes a LOT of sense. i will definitely be packing one on our next road trip. thank you so much for sharing!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks and I hope to have your discipline!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The family's going on a road trip for two weeks very soon, and I am hoping to keep up with my weight loss. I'm packing my food scale and lots of healthy snacks in the trailer, and am debating whether or not to take my scale so I can weigh in a couple of times. I think I will, as I don't want to miss out on the Pin-Up girls weigh-ins for the trip. It will also let me stay on top of any changes I see in my weight. While we may eat some fast food, I will try to eat the healthier options more often. We are going fishing as well, so fish may (or may not!) feature prominently in the menu after that, depending on our luck.

Everyone have a great time on your road trips! Don't use it as an excuse to totally go crazy with fast food, but enjoy the foods that you do choose to eat. Have fun!
  • octopusami
    octopusami Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    We are headed towards Yvonne's capping ceremony this weekend and Juder and I will definitely be packing the cooler. Glad to hear the wedding went well! We need to get Sean back on track.
  • JDRBT
    Options
    We are headed towards Yvonne's capping ceremony this weekend and Juder and I will definitely be packing the cooler. Glad to hear the wedding went well! We need to get Sean back on track.
    Tell me about it! We need to really set some short term goals I think. It's tough when the Navy feeds him a lot of crap food during the days.
  • JDRBT
    Options
    Tell me about it! We need to really set some short term goals I think. It's tough when the Navy feeds him a lot of crap food during the days.
  • JDRBT
    Options
    Good for you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

What did you sing at the wedding?
    It's a song called Songbird by Christie McVie.
    You can check out the youtube video here.
    I sound more contemporary than her, but they enjoyed it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLRyYETnoIE
    You can hear my voice/music by googling J Darling. I have a Myspace page w/ some original stuff.
  • Merodie
    Merodie Posts: 21
    Options
    I travel a lot by motorcycle...It is hard to eat healthy and pack a cooler. Tho I did discover if you freeze your water it lessens cooler space as it melts and becomes water to drink. I also discovered cheese and fruit are a great quick snack. I personally do fiber one bars because they keep me away from candy bars and crap. (you thought I was going to say for a different reason :blushing: well that is just a bonus :ohwell: ) They also fill me up with a big ole drink of water too.
    If anyone has any other tiny travel tips...please.

Everyone enjoy your summer travels and good luck!!

Peace, Merodie
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!