smuehlbauer
smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
Looking for a good mountain bike that is under $300....ish
Any suggestions?

Replies

• j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Look on craigslist around your area. They always have great bikes for great prices
  • worldwarmichael
    Options
    look for something used. Anything brand new that costs $300 will not be a good bike
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    I got mine on sale at Target. I love it!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    look for something used. Anything brand new that costs $300 will not be a good bike

^^^^Bike snob ^^^^^

You have been riding a lot. Go to ****'s or to Sport Authority. You might want to switch to a street bike or a hybrid. They can run pretty high though. But you want to make sure you get fitted for a bike to make sure that you have the right size. You have long legs....
  • christy_frank
    Options
    D I C K's Sporting Goods. HAHAHA. It keeps blanking it out.
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    D I C K's Sporting Goods. HAHAHA. It keeps blanking it out.

That was funny!
    Yeah - I don't need a $2000 Trek
    Something that is a good beginner bike for $300 - I'm not riding in the Olympics....
    I'll run up to Sports Authority and see what they have.
  • christy_frank
    Options
    Dont go to a bike store...they are all bike snobs. When you tell them you want to spend less than $300 they look at you like you are asking to buy a bike with food stamps or something. But, at D I C K's, they had the same Schwinn that my hubby got @ Wal-Mart but in a different color and it was cheaper @ Wal-Mart by $20 I think.

You can check Craiglist too, but you should be able to find an okay bike for under $300.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Dont go to a bike store...they are all bike snobs. When you tell them you want to spend less than $300 they look at you like you are asking to buy a bike with food stamps or something. But, at D I C K's, they had the same Schwinn that my hubby got @ Wal-Mart but in a different color and it was cheaper @ Wal-Mart by $20 I think.

You can check Craiglist too, but you should be able to find an okay bike for under $300.

I beg to differ about bike shops, as a stereotype. Yes, there are ones who are jerks, but there are also those who want your full business, and cater to the everyday rider as well as the family-ride-around-the-block folks. The one thing you will get from a bike shop you won't get from D i ck's, Target, SAMS, or Sports Authority is knowledge or experience.

That being said, you can find decent entry-level bikes at all the above, including a bike shop.
  • j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I did get my first mountain bike at a local bike shop for under 300. It was brand new, not year wise, it was an 06 Giant Pistol. It was heavy as hell, almost like a walmart schwinn, but it had all the props I needed to get me through the trails.
    But I find craigslist to be much better when it comes to prices, you just have to do your research before you buy the bike, and test it please!
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    From a cyclist, I see people all the time wasting $$$ on a cheap bike and out growing it in a couple of weeks. If you want to tool around the neighborhood check out garage sales. If you want to lose weight and get in better shape go to the bike shop. They are really great people there.
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    I"m not afraid of the bike store snobs ;) They are just a little out of my price range.
    I live in a pretty expensive area where people can afford the expensive bikes - and that's what they carry. We also live in Trek area - they build them out here, so they are everywhere yet still out of my price range.
    It will more thank likely be a Walmart bike, craigslist, amazon.com, what every I can find that is a good value for the money.
    Got some research ahead of me.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Got to STRONGLY disagree. My local bike shop sells way more bikes for under $500 than for over $1,000. The owner is a true nice guy who is dedicated to getting people interested in cycling, and he knows that not everyone is willing to shell out the big bucks. A bike shop can fit you properly and make recommendations with their knowledge that is beyond the capability of a sales clerk at a general sporting goods store. Garages around the country are full of rusting cheap bikes that should never have been purchased. A local bike shop can help you avoid making a $300 mistake. If you walk into a bike shop that is elitist just turn around and go somewhere else. I have been riding for 30 years and have purchased bikes in five states and I have always easily found bike shops owned and operated by some of the nicest people I have ever known. But it is worth noting that I have had my best experiences with owner/operators. Sometimes the staff is only interested in the big dollar stuff. Please try a bike shop before purchasing, don't bring home something that is not what you really need. Like the old commercial, some people act like “parts is parts.” Not so with a bike, we all need help.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Sent you two emails. ;)
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The one question that has not been asked is what you want to do on the bike? That above all else is the main question. If you are looking for fitness and exercise then you really need to look at a road bike.

You have to be real careful when you start riding bikes, they are more addictive than crack cocaine. You will start off celebrating 10 miles in the next thing you know 10 miles will just be a warm-up.

Good luck on finding the bike for you. If you have any questions let me know and I will help you in anyway I can.
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    The one question that has not been asked is what you want to do on the bike? That above all else is the main question. If you are looking for fitness and exercise then you really need to look at a road bike.

You have to be real careful when you start riding bikes, they are more addictive than crack cocaine. You will start off celebrating 10 miles in the next thing you know 10 miles will just be a warm-up.

Good luck on finding the bike for you. If you have any questions let me know and I will help you in anyway I can.

I know it's like crack - I just got a free bike from Christy - up above - and it's no longer cutting it. I'm already riding 20+ miles and I'm ready for more! My last ride was 21.76 in 93 minutes. I'm riding on bike paths - some are paved, some are not - I am looking at a mountain bikes. And I am sportin one silly tan - already!
    Thanks by the way - I'm sending you a friend request!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Bike addiction is real, and it's serious..................................................................:laugh: :tongue: I have a friend that is REALLY in to bikes.... I mean really. He has an 8K (yes 8 THOUSAND dollars) Mtn Bike. He is an avid mtn biker and really knows his stuff. I asked him about a bike for myself and he suggested that for the lower ends bikes (to him anything less than 5-6hunny) a Schwin is a good one to go with because they are big enough of a company that on the typical bike they won't skimp out on the important parts. I ended up inheriting one from my MIL so I have a Topanga it's great for me, but I haven't ridden anything longer than 20 miles. I do however, go up BIG hills and off road trails. :smile:
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-categories-bikes/2002-hardtail/diamondback/topanga/prd_358396_1494crx.aspx

http://www.schwinnbikes.com/bikes/mountain
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I know it's like crack - I just got a free bike from Christy - up above - and it's no longer cutting it. I'm already riding 20+ miles and I'm ready for more! My last ride was 21.76 in 93 minutes. I'm riding on bike paths - some are paved, some are not - I am looking at a mountain bikes. And I am sportin one silly tan - already!
    Thanks by the way - I'm sending you a friend request!

OK, Keep in mind that the email I sent you is about a Trek HYBRID, NOT a mountain bike. Very different.