kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    you guys can't count days or weeks.....

yep, you can do it.

The original post was made in June... Several years ago
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Sure. I suppose. Is it probable? Nope. Number one, it depends how much weight you have to lose. If it's your last 40 pounds, it's extremely unlikely that you will lose it all in three months as weight loss becomes much slower as you get closer and closer to goal. Secondly, even if you did lose 40 pounds in three months, I would question whether or not it's going to pile back on as soon as you stop whatever you did to lose it.

Quit being in such a hurry. You didn't gain 40 pounds in three months so don't expect to lose it so quickly. Eat right, exercise more than just "every once in a while" and be in it for the long term.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    If losing 40 pounds will put you at your goal weight meaning that you will have even lost your last 10 "vanity pounds" as people call them. Then I would say no...

I have been working out diligently eating a respective 80% clean diet to lose my last ten pounds and I have only lost five of those pounds since January. It has taken me nearly six months to lose 5 of my vanity pounds and I expect it to be another 5 months to lose the last 5 pounds.

2 pounds a week is the VERY most that is recommended... Don't set too unrealistic of goals, or you are setting yourself up for failure. Instead set yourself up for a challenge, and then treat it as so. In My opinion, 40 pounds is a little unrealistic. But that is my opinion and that is what is awesome about MFP... you get lots of opinions.

^ This
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it if you want to do it in a healthy way that you can sustain long term. Set a reasonable calorie deficit and find an exercise routine you love.

These are great reads that helped me a lot:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Foreverfitnow
    Foreverfitnow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think the question you want to ask yourself is this...do you want to just see the number on the scale go down by 40 pounds or do you want to be healthy and fit into your clothes and have a nice, toned body?

I am no scientific expert, but I have read plenty on this subject. If you lose weight too fast, you'll wind up losing muscle tissue rather than fat. You CAN be a flabby skinny person.

I lost 40 pounds about 6 years ago, while on Weight Watchers Online. I stuck to the plan like glue, I worked out with a personal trainer 3 times a week and ran 5 days a week. I lost a consistent (and healthy) 5 pounds a month. It took me 8 months to lose the 40 pounds, but the transition was gradual and natural. I had good muscle tone and stamina.

I do NOT think you should try to hastily take off pounds. I believe you will be very sorry in mid-summer that you tried to rush the weight loss. Slow and steady wins the race.....
  • Foreverfitnow
    Foreverfitnow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and then there's the maintenance aspect. You'll notice that I am again trying to lose weight. I kept it off for a good while, but slowly started back into my old habits. If you don't re-train your brain to maintain, you won't be able to keep the weight off and it's back to yo-yo time....just my 2 cents....:wink:
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    40lbs in 3 months is very unlikely unless you are extremely overweight. In addition to the fact that that would be 3lbs per week loss and the general recommendation is no more than 2lbs per week. The other rule of thumb is no more than .5% to 1% of body weight per week. That means if you are currently 170 lbs you wouldn't want to lose at a rate of more than 1.7lbs per week and as you lose weight the rate of loss should be slower.

I am not a fan of setting goals like 'lose X lbs in Y months' because even if you set a realistic goal, life happens and the human body is not a machine. You might end up 1 lbs short of the goal. Personally I would see 1 lb short of a goal as 'failure' and would ignore the fact that I was successful in losing X-1 lbs.

Certainly set a goal to lose 40lbs and work as hard as you can to do it, but don't set yourself up for failure by restricting your diet too much, which can lead to binging or exercising too much, which can lead to burn out. Take the time to make changes that you can live with for the rest of your life, so you won't regain the weight and have to do this all over again.