Eating the calories you burn

Options
Question... when I enter how many calories I burn at the gym for the day.. it shows my calorie food intake go down... should I be eating up the calories I burned?? I usually dont but Im wondeing if that is whats hurting me?

Replies

• lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Yes, you should.
  • aalekova
    aalekova Posts: 10
    Options
    Yes, you should they say if you don't it'll catch up with you anyway and you'll slow down with burning fat
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    Yes I do, I may leave 50 calories on the table for any incorrect measurements I made in my food but other then that...I eat them all.
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Well it depends...If I burned 1000 one day at the gym, I wouldn't go and eat 1000 extra calories. But an extra healthy "gym snack" is a good thing to go for. Cereal / Nut bar, piece of fruit etc or around 300 cals. This should replace the energy you have lost but not affect your weight loss.

You should NEVER go under 1200 NET Calories though - That's the rule.

Hope that helps!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should.

^ This.

MFP calculates your daily deficit into your daily, non-exercise goal. The lowest calorie count it will give you is 1,200, as that is what the site considers safe caloric consumption. Since your deficit is already factored in, MFP adds your exercise calories back in, to give you more food to eat without being hungry or gaining. Many people don't eat all of them back, but make sure your NET does not fall below 1,000 and you'll be fine.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    I try to eat most of them unless i'm just not hungry. I typically leave 100 at the end of the day just for miscalculations, etc.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options

Hope that helps!

^ this is good advice, also you should eat back only 50% of what you burned though not all of it.
  • shamandalie
    Options
    From my understanding of it, your calorie goal is your ultimate goal regardless of how much you eat or burn- you need to be achieving your calorie goal if you want to see weight loss.

If you're too far under your calorie goal you won't lose weight cause your body is storing it all cause you're not feeding it enough.

If you're too far over you need to burn the extra calories off and stick to your goal.

Both are as useless as each other. You need to be keeping your calories as close to the goal as you can.
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    it depends how many calories you burn and how many calories you are eating a day, if not eating your burnt calories puts you into starvation mode, i would probably say, eat them. if it doesnt, then i dont eat them. that way i see quicker weight loss results, but always make sure i eat at least 1100 calories a day, i try to keep it around 1200 tho. good luck, and well done on your weight loss so far :-)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Well it depends...If I burned 1000 one day at the gym, I wouldn't go and eat 1000 extra calories. But an extra healthy "gym snack" is a good thing to go for. Cereal / Nut bar, piece of fruit etc or around 300 cals. This should replace the energy you have lost but not affect your weight loss.
    Not only is this not correct, somebody actually quoted it? You realize that calories are a measure of energy, correct? So -- no, 300 calories would not replace the energy you have lost from exercising. If you burn 1,000 calories through exercise then the only way to give your body back the energy you have lost is to eat another 1,000 calories. Unless you are not estimating your consumption or your burn correctly, you will still lose weigh this way. However, if you try to have too large of a caloric deficit for too long of a time, you may stop losing weight or even gaining weight in some instances.
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i do if im hungry or want a little treat! if not hungry i don't, but mindlessly eating got me where i am so im careful. also i try not to use every cal up in case i have over or under estimated on food/burns. Good luck finding what works for you!3697427.png
  • BwnEyedWifey
    BwnEyedWifey Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    it depends how many calories you burn and how many calories you are eating a day, if not eating your burnt calories puts you into starvation mode, i would probably say, eat them. if it doesnt, then i dont eat them. that way i see quicker weight loss results, but always make sure i eat at least 1100 calories a day, i try to keep it around 1200 tho. good luck, and well done on your weight loss so far :-)

Thanks.. well i stay around 1100 calories.. and just say if i burn 800 today at the gym.. its like i would be eating 1900 calories today.. I dont know i just feel weird if i were to eat my calories back.. i will still with more of a snack (200-300 calories) and see how that goes.
  • rickymare
    rickymare Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You technically "should" eat them but I wouldn't eat them all since you dont know "exactly" how much you burned. Then again you do not know "exactly' how much you ate either... I usually stay below my 'recommended' amount just to be safe. Because you "never" know. I had to add the "extra" quotes for effct since this post is "really" old. :P
  • BwnEyedWifey
    BwnEyedWifey Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You technically "should" eat them but I wouldn't eat them all since you dont know "exactly" how much you burned. Then again you do not know "exactly' how much you ate either... I usually stay below my 'recommended' amount just to be safe. Because you "never" know. I had to add the "extra" quotes for effct since this post is "really" old. :P

Thanks... I will just make sure I keep enough for miscalculations like most people are sayings. Thanks everyone for your input.. :)
  • melinda6569
    melinda6569 Posts: 124
    Options

Hope that helps!

^ this is good advice, also you should eat back only 50% of what you burned though not all of it.

i agree with these..
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna stir things up a bit here...

Basically I don't eat them back. I work out every morning, don't log it and stick to my calorie goal.

If I'm hungry, I'll eat, if I'm not, I won't.

I always have a protien shake after my workout though, it's about 145 calories or so.

I've been losing about 2 pounds a week so far. Some weeks I maintain then week after I'll have a double loss. I know it will get harder nearer my goal but I'm prepared for that.