Im lost i need help i dont know the right way

Options
I weigh 278lbs and have started doing more exercise ive even gotten the whole family involved well anyway here are my questions. One when is the best time to work out? Do u eat before u exercise if so whats the best? How do u stop hunger attacks after ur done with a thirty minute exercise? and lastly what are the best strengthing exercises for ur arms and legs i dont want to have lots of saggy skin. Thanz for ur help in advance its been like seven years since ive done any of this i need re teaching. :sad:

Replies

• tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I weigh 278lbs and have started doing more exercise ive even gotten the whole family involved well anyway here are my questions. One when is the best time to work out? Do u eat before u exercise if so whats the best? How do u stop hunger attacks after ur done with a thirty minute exercise? and lastly what are the best strengthing exercises for ur arms and legs i dont want to have lots of saggy skin. Thanz for ur help in advance its been like seven years since ive done any of this i need re teaching. :sad:

You exercise when you most feel comfortable.

Professional tips:

Your Pre-Exercise Fluid Needs
    Being well-hydrated will make your exercise easier and more effective. Try to drink 16-20 ounces of water during the 1-2 hours before starting your workout.

Your Pre-Exercise Meal or Snack
    News flash: Most of the fuel you use during exercise doesn’t come from the food you’ve recently eaten! It actually comes from the carbohydrates (called “glycogen”) and fat that’s stored in your muscles, liver, and fat cells. That’s enough to fuel 1-2 hours of very intense exercise or 3-4 hours of moderate intensity exercise.

What to Eat Before You Work Out
    Eating Before Exercise for Maximum Results
    -- By Dean Anderson, Fitness Expert
    SparkPeople advertisers help keep the site free! Learn more
    Being well-hydrated will make your exercise easier and more effective. Try to drink 16-20 ounces of water during the 1-2 hours before starting your workout.

News flash: Most of the fuel you use during exercise doesn’t come from the food you’ve recently eaten! It actually comes from the carbohydrates (called “glycogen”) and fat that’s stored in your muscles, liver, and fat cells. That’s enough to fuel 1-2 hours of very intense exercise or 3-4 hours of moderate intensity exercise.

This means that if your overall diet is adequate to keep your fuel tanks topped off, you may not need to eat anything before you work out. So, if eating before exercise upsets your stomach or you like to exercise first thing in the morning or at a time when eating first isn’t convenient, don’t feel like eating first is a must.

Some people do have a hard time exercising without eating first, especially if it’s been a long time since their last meal or snack. These individuals often are more sensitive to changes in their blood sugar levels, which fall during the first 15-20 minutes of workout. That drop in blood sugar can cause tiredness, mild dizziness, or even faintness—especially if your blood sugar was already low, but eating something beforehand can help prevent this. If you have health issues like diabetes or hypoglycemia that can cause low blood sugar, you’ll probably want to eat before your workout. If you get very hungry during a workout (and it interferes with your energy levels or focus), or become so ravenous after an exercise session that you end up overeating, try eating before you hit the gym to avoid these problems.
  • ReadySara
    ReadySara Posts: 86 Member
    Options

You exercise when you most feel comfortable.

Professional tips:

WoW that's good to know, I would of never knew that.
  • yumyum613
    yumyum613 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find that exercising early as possible in the morning helps me get on the right track. Once you've done it, you're burning calories all day and you have a good feeling of well-being. Plus, for me, exercising first thing helps me eat healthier all day. It's a mental thing for me. If I've started my day off great, I don't want to eat too much and reverse the good I did at the gym. I just hydrate before working out and don't eat until after I get home. That's just a personal preference for me. After I get home, I eat some good oatmeal or a high-fiber cereal and some fruit. Then I'm ready to tackle the day!
  • KaylasNana
    Options
    The best time of day is whatever time of day you will do exercise. Every little bit helps, even marching in place while you brush your teeth. Try to find little things like that, and make them a habit. I have worn a pedometer for years, and I'm still conscious of it - it reminds me to get a few more steps in every chance I get.

One of the things to keep in mind is that just because you are exercising, you can't eat everything in sight. You didn't really work off enough calories, even though it seems like it. A small amount of protein before you start can be good, you will have to experiment to see what you can tolerate. Drink lots of water during and exercise, and I find that helps with the "starvation" feeling afterward. Just drinking lots of water in general will help you with weight loss and energy.

Lots of good websites our there with exercise ideas (prevention.com is one of the best).

Good luck to you. I find that it helps, for me, to focus on my overall health rather than being so hung up on the weight part. You deserve it! And you can do it!

(By the way, I am 51 years old.)
  • badseedsister
    Options
    I swear by protein bars. I cut one in half and eat half before I workout (with plenty of water) and then eat the other half after working out. I like Pure protein revolution, chocolate peanut caramel. The protein bar is VERY filling and I don't feel hungry after consuming one. It is important to drink water with your protein bar as it needs water to help digest. You don't want to feel like you have a rock in your stomach.
    It is also a little like eating a candy bar, although it will take a bit for you to really believe that! Protein is my greatest ally in my weight loss efforts. I make sure I eat lots of protein and limit carbs which make me hungry. Or if you are going to eat carbs (bread), eat with a protein. Another simply rule is if you are going to eat any carb, it must contain fiber. So that means cookies, cakes, etc. are out, but fresh fruit, whole grains, veggies are in!. Good luck!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If I didn't start my day with exercise, I probably would do it. I drag myself out of bed, drink 1/2 cup of coffee and head out on my bike ride. I do it almost automatically now. I currently do a 13.5 mile loop that has some hills while listening to Tunein radio on my iphone. I use a Polar heart rate monitor with a GPS to track my route, progress and make sure I am not dogging it.

Right after I have a protein shake to fuel myself and hit the shower.
  • betterlife2011
    Options
    Thank you guys alot for the advice i will take it all to heart :flowerforyou: