Jillian Michaels - best DVD for beginning?

Options
I am currently doing a mixture of walking, pilates, jump rope, and Wii Boxing as my exercise. I am completely new to Jillian. I have never watched Biggest Loser (well, maybe for 10 minutes on one episode) and have no idea where to start with this woman. But, its pretty safe to say that every person I talk to would recommend her DVDs over any others.

Every review I read says her DVD's are "so hard" or "extreme workout" or "intense". And of course I WANT intense, but I dont want to completely knock myself out and give up because it is too hard for a beginner like me. Are these DVDs hard to work your way up to? like do 10/20 minutes of them until you feel you can progress? Which would be a good one to start with? Keep in mind I have NO weights and do not plan on buying any because I have no place to store them.

thanks in advance for your input. :smile:

Replies

• denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like her 30 day shred. Just start out at level 1 do it as long as you want or can. I am on my 8th day but still staying at level 1 till I feel comfortable. All of the Biggest Losers dvds are good just got at your own pace, it takes time to get used to. Good luck..
  • shy_46
    shy_46 Posts: 36
    Options
    You can try the 30 Day Shred DVD. I am hearing good things about it and will be starting it myself.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in what others have to say, I have been wanting to look into her DVD's too. I think I tried the Biggest Loser Wii game once, but didn't like it. I don't remember much about it, but I have learned to push myself hard since, so making I could try a DVD out. I don't know.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    30 Day Shred, it builds up intensity as you go, plus you can repeat the level if you aren't ready to move on. She is a great trainer!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    they are hard but thats good, easy wont change your body, 30 day shred is a great dvd mainly because its old jillian where she was not at her peak body and really explains to you what your doing in every move, which is motivating to hear and keeps you pushing. Im 5'4 and started this dvd at 140 lbs... if you stick to a great diet and do it at least 4x a week you will get great results!!
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 30ds and I was only walking for about an hour a day before I started. I suggest using light weights in the beginning (I just used a can of beans which is usually ~16 oz or 1 lb). It's not too too hard, but it definitely makes you sweat!
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love the 30 day shred...she uses weights, but you could use soup cans, it's way harder with weights though and more of a benefit... she has one girl doing the moves the harder way and one doing them the easier way so you can choose who to follow
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    any Jillina tape is good. I own most of them. I love her!!! She does use weights in all of her videos. There is a good workout out dvd, The Biggest Loser Cardio Max...there are two of them. One of them has Bob, Jillian, Kim (trainers from the show) 3 levels of which you can pick and choose what you want to do or do all three of them . The other Cardio Max has old contestants of biggest loser (and of course Bob) on it. It is pretty good too. I burn decent amount of calories when I use them. They are good starting out point. If you are going to try Jillian without weights I would get Boost Metabolism and Burn Fat, it is a long workout and she works your booty for sure!!! Good luck girl I hope you enjoy Jillian!!
    ps. You can use soup cans for weights they don't take up any extra space. Just a extra pound of two is better than nothing! :)
    ~Corina
  • SueEllen7
    SueEllen7 Posts: 32
    Options
    It is worth the effort. Surprising how quickly your staminia will pick up when you start doing it. I'm only on day 3. A major difference between day 1 and 2 even.....seriously...my staminia was significantly greater on day 2. Think it was partly of knowing what to expect and pushing through the parts I thought was impossible to do....
  • ashmx250
    ashmx250 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As many others have said, the 30 Day Shred is a great workout for beginners and for non-beginners alike! I lost 12 lbs doing it and It was the first workout I chose to do to start my "weight loss journey." 1st day was the hardest but it got better. But since you dont want to get weights maybe try Banish Fat Boost Metabolism- which is just cardio circuits using your own body weight. I've been using this dvd for months now and I like it. I don't know if one would consider it a beginners workout but you can pick and choose certain circuits to do or just do the entire 45min workout all the way through.
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to agree with what everyone's saying, the 30 day shred is going to be your best bet.

Just so you know, it's still going to be hard/intense. If you want to see changes, and to build up your endurance, you're going to have to push yourself and you're going to have to sweat. I would definitely not recommend only doing 10 minutes. What I WOULD recommend doing is doing the 30 day shred, and doing the whole thing.
    She has it set up in circuits. So if it's too hard, stop, take a breather, and rejoin when you can. If you need to stop more than once, it's okay. But just don't turn it off half way through otherwise you'll never get better. Just do what you can. It's only 20 minutes.
    The DVD uses hand weights, but you don't have to use them. Just do the motions with your hands (or use remotes or cans of soup.. whatever you'd like) and you'll still get a good burn.

Good luck! LIke I said, this won't be "easy", but you need to work hard to see change!!!
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    thanks everyone. Looks like i will be trying 30DS first, and then whenever I get through that I will move on to BFBM.

thanks again. :smile:
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    @ horseryder - like I said in my first post, I am not looking for easy. I WANT intense. I just dont want to feel overwhelmed at first.
  • callmefor911
    callmefor911 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    if u have target in your area... the 30 day shred is on sale for 9.04... got it today