I need to lose 10 lbs before I can see my doctor.

Options
My regular doctor always comments on my weight and it's always very upsetting...I've been putting off making an appointment with her b/c I've gained some weight...I need to get my scale at home to go down 10 lbs from what I was this morning before I can make an appointment with her b/c I know she will yell at me for "gaining" :cry: even though it shouldn't be body fat b/c I've been keeping my calories under 1500 for ages. :grumble: and my nutritionist says it's just water...but sometimes I worry that she lies. :frown:

I need to see her b/c my kidney doctor wants me to start taking an ACE inhibitor thingy and I need to see if she agrees...the kidney doctor said that it will help preserve my kindey function and reduce the proteinuria but I don't know if I should take it if I don't always have high blood pressure. (it's only high when I'm really anxious...) and I also need to follow up and have another CBC to see if my white blood count is still high. (it's always high...God knows why. :huh: )

Replies

• pinkpixies
    Options
    My regular doctor always comments on my weight and it's always very upsetting...I've been putting off making an appointment with her b/c I've gained some weight...I need to get my scale at home to go down 10 lbs from what I was this morning before I can make an appointment with her b/c I know she will yell at me for "gaining" :cry: even though it shouldn't be body fat b/c I've been keeping my calories under 1500 for ages. :grumble: and my nutritionist says it's just water...but sometimes I worry that she lies. :frown:

I need to see her b/c my kidney doctor wants me to start taking an ACE inhibitor thingy and I need to see if she agrees...the kidney doctor said that it will help preserve my kindey function and reduce the proteinuria but I don't know if I should take it if I don't always have high blood pressure. (it's only high when I'm really anxious...) and I also need to follow up and have another CBC to see if my white blood count is still high. (it's always high...God knows why. :huh: )
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Find another doctor who doesn't yell. Where's the compassion in that?
  • innocent75
    innocent75 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Take this for what it is worth as it is just my opinion. I would never put off seeing a doctor for fear of being scolded for gaining weight. As was stated before, if this is a problem for you find another doctor. I feel you are putting yourself at risk by procrastinating. Please, you need to take care of your body, you only get one and we'd all hate to see something harm any of our "family" especially if it is preventable.

Take this as my opinion and MY opinion only.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Seriously, find another Doctor!!

Scolding hasn't helped anyone and especially when it's comming from somone you are paying to help you. Remember that YOU are in control of your doctors, it's up to you to change when they aren't getting the job done. Empower yourself, you can make the changes you need for you, not for what some paid person tells you.
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Pretty much every doctor does when you're as big as I am. :frown: (cept my eating disorders doctor...he doesn't.)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

Pretty much every doctor does when you're as big as I am. :frown: (cept my eating disorders doctor...he doesn't.)

Ask your eating disorder doctor to recommend a doctor.

Doctors aren't supposed to yell at you. Expressing concern that you've gained weight, yes. Yelling, no. Does your GP know your disorded eating history? Because if he/she does, that is really, really irresponsible.
    (IMHO)
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Doctors aren't supposed to yell at you. Expressing concern that you've gained weight, yes. Yelling, no. Does your GP know your disorded eating history? Because if he/she does, that is really, really irresponsible.
    (IMHO)

Yes, she knows. I don't think she takes it seriously though. Plus, most doctors don't really know much about eating disorders...they don't realize some of the things they say can be triggering.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

(IMHO)

Yes, she knows. I don't think she takes it seriously though. Plus, most doctors don't really know much about eating disorders...they don't realize some of the things they say can be triggering.

Seriously, you owe it to yourself to find a new doctor. Seriously.:flowerforyou:
  • pinkpixies
    Options

(IMHO)

Seriously, you owe it to yourself to find a new doctor. Seriously.:flowerforyou:
    I've seen her since I was a baby and I worry that she will get mad. :embarassed:
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    i'd be finding a new doctor, and quickly. you need to get in and see whats going on, it can't be good to put it off because you're worried about what she might say.

even if you've been seeing her since you were little, she has no right to make you feel scared and worried about going in to see her.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    i'd be finding a new doctor, and quickly. you need to get in and see whats going on, it can't be good to put it off because you're worried about what she might say.

even if you've been seeing her since you were little, she has no right to make you feel scared and worried about going in to see her.

maybe I'm just over sensitive? :embarassed:
  • Juliebean
    Options

There's only about 10 pounds difference between your current weight and what I weigh now and my doctor has never yelled at me. Ever. She gives suggestions and ways that will help me. Trust me, a good doctor IS out there. And you DESERVE to be HAPPY with yours! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • pinkpixies
    Options

There's only about 10 pounds difference between your current weight and what I weigh now and my doctor has never yelled at me. Ever. She gives suggestions and ways that will help me. Trust me, a good doctor IS out there. And you DESERVE to be HAPPY with yours! :flowerforyou: :heart:

Has it ever been suggested to you that you have gastric bypass? I always find that upsetting when they do that. :frown: I've had...5...medical professionals...suggest it...so far.
  • Juliebean
    Options

Has it ever been suggested to you that you have gastric bypass? I always find that upsetting when they do that. :frown: I've had...5...medical professionals...suggest it...so far.

Never. I've never had anyone suggest anything even remotely close, and to be honest with you I'm shocked that your doctor would be so blatant about something that is so serious and drastic.

Please don't think that I've always had the wonderful doctor that I have now, because that's not the case at all. I went to my pediatrician for a sports physical before cheerleading season started when I was 16, and at 5'11" and 185, I was at my lowest weight that I can remember... She suggested that I lose 60 lbs. To me, this was ridiculous. She said something to the effect of "Cheerleading will be hard on you knees, joints, and back, and unless you lose some serious weight you're going to pay the price later in life. I'd like to see you lose anywhere from 40-60 pounds." I remember being devastated. I went home and talked to my mom (who's a nurse and was OUTRAGED!) This woman had been by doctor for the past 6 years but that didn't matter to me. Eventually I bit the bullet and switched doctors and I couldn't be happier!

I hope that you find someone that you like and someone who understands YOUR medical concerns, not THEIR opinions. I understand that it may be necessary for you to lose weight, but there's a right and a wrong way to approach such a sensitive subject. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Never. I've never had anyone suggest anything even remotely close, and to be honest with you I'm shocked that your doctor would be so blatant about something that is so serious and drastic.

Please don't think that I've always had the wonderful doctor that I have now, because that's not the case at all. I went to my pediatrician for a sports physical before cheerleading season started when I was 16, and at 5'11" and 185, I was at my lowest weight that I can remember... She suggested that I lose 60 lbs. To me, this was ridiculous. She said something to the effect of "Cheerleading will be hard on you knees, joints, and back, and unless you lose some serious weight you're going to pay the price later in life. I'd like to see you lose anywhere from 40-60 pounds." I remember being devastated. I went home and talked to my mom (who's a nurse and was OUTRAGED!) This woman had been by doctor for the past 6 years but that didn't matter to me. Eventually I bit the bullet and switched doctors and I couldn't be happier!

I hope that you find someone that you like and someone who understands YOUR medical concerns, not THEIR opinions. I understand that it may be necessary for you to lose weight, but there's a right and a wrong way to approach such a sensitive subject. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

damn...thats a stupid doctor. Thats a completely healthy weight for someone of your height. And losing that much would be unhealthy.

I'm only 5'1 so it's different for me...like my BMI is 55 or something...
  • Juliebean
    Options
    Yeah, mine is pretty high as well... I think somewhere around 40. Hang in there! It can be done! Baby-steps are the key. I started out walking 15 mins a day and am now up to 30. I still get winded when I do any kind of exercise dvd but I don't feel like I'm going to die anymore. :laugh:
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Yeah, mine is pretty high as well... I think somewhere around 40. Hang in there! It can be done! Baby-steps are the key. I started out walking 15 mins a day and am now up to 30. I still get winded when I do any kind of exercise dvd but I don't feel like I'm going to die anymore. :laugh:

Thats good. :smile: Congrats! I'm mostly just doing little things...like cleaning and such...just try not to stay sitting for long periods of time...make an excuse to get up and move around...I've even been cleaning my parents apartment. :laugh:
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    if your doctor is actually scolding you and making you feel bad i would see a different doctor, my doctor talked to me about my weight in a very compassionate way and made me really want to lose weight to be healthier, but i did have a doctor that just flat out said you need to lose weight that's why your sick, and she was overweight herself, it made me feel that she didn't really care to treat me cuz i was bigger and just blamed me being sick on my size.

My mother also had a doctor that told her she had to eat only 500 calories a day, which was absolutely ridiculous (she was about 300 some lbs at the time he said that) he actually told her to eat only green beans all day.

That same doctor told my sister when she was getting cleared from him to have her gall bladder out, and i quote, "can they take out the thing that makes you fat too" she probably weight about 170 5'5" at that time.

Some doctors just shouldn't be allowed to practice
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    if your doctor is actually scolding you and making you feel bad i would see a different doctor, my doctor talked to me about my weight in a very compassionate way and made me really want to lose weight to be healthier, but i did have a doctor that just flat out said you need to lose weight that's why your sick, and she was overweight herself, it made me feel that she didn't really care to treat me cuz i was bigger and just blamed me being sick on my size.

My mother also had a doctor that told her she had to eat only 500 calories a day, which was absolutely ridiculous (she was about 300 some lbs at the time he said that) he actually told her to eat only green beans all day.

That same doctor told my sister when she was getting cleared from him to have her gall bladder out, and i quote, "can they take out the thing that makes you fat too" she probably weight about 170 5'5" at that time.

Some doctors just shouldn't be allowed to practice

So true. Some doctors really shouldn't be practicing.

It took my doctor two years to test my thyroid...she finally did after I gained 170 lbs! I kept going in and telling her I wasn't eating much and I was still gaining...she just kept telling me to eat less...:angry:

And now, every time I go in with a problem...she blames it on my weight. I went in with severe indigestion and acid reflux from puking every damn thing I ate for years and she tells me it's from being fat and to lose weight and it would go away. :laugh:
  • Jackiemal
    Jackiemal Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've had issues like this before. I have diabetes, heart problems and other health issues and still would delay seeing my doc for that same reason. A few years ago he gave me a very hard time about my weight and suggested several times that I get weight loss surgery. This after my father pressured me to get it too, several times, even saying he'd pay for it. I am very very against weight loss surgery in most cases. I made myself very clear to both of them. To me its addressing the effects of a problem not the actual problem.

I had to be very clear with my doc about my feelings. He doesn't suggest it anymore. :smile: However, I have come to understand that he really had my best interests in mind and wanted to help anyway he could.

You need to take control of your own health. You know best what is going on in your body. I would suggest you let your doc know how you feel and that the way he is going about helping you is negatively impacting your health care. If he doesn't change...get another doc! All doctors are not made that same.

Think of it this way. You are paying for a service, would you put up with bad treatment from your car repair man?

Jackie

89924.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

'How does one become a butterfly?, she asked. 'You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.'