Resting Heart Rate = TOO HIGH!? help!!!

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
Hey everyone!!

So I just got my first HRM yesterday and I am super pumped about it!

It is a Polar FT4.

I set up all my information on it today and realized my resting heart rate is 100-110. My target is 130-170. (according to the HRM)

I know that "normal" resting heart rate is supposed to be around 60 beats per min. and it is usually lower if you are a well trained athlete. I am wondering why mine is so high?? I counted my HR manually, and it was around 100 - same as the monitor. I never realized this before.

My blood pressure is usually really low. 120/80 is "normal" and mine is always around 98/60. I know this because I am in school for health care and we get bored and take our blood pressures all the time :) haha. So initially I figured since my blood pressure was normally low, and I am really active, that my resting heart rate would be 55-80. never around 110!!

Why is this? What do you guys think?? I know over 300 is flutter and over 350 is fibrillation. I havent worked out w/ my HRM yet. I am kind of concerned what my heart rate is going to be when I'm pushing it hard in the gym or running!

I should also say I take medication for ADHD, which is a stimulant. So that could be the reason.

But what do you guys think?? normal?? not???

Replies

• brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I too would like to know this answer. I have amazing blood pressure for a big girl, but my heart rate is just below a hundred. can't say i'm real fit just yet, but curious as to what others think on this as well
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My only guess is the ADHD meds raising your heart rate. You seem like you are in pretty good shape otherwise.
  • someday_soon
    Options
    rates above 100 are abnormal for resting heart rate.. tachycardia. it could be because of the meds or for something else. i would go to your family doctor to check it out. it could be because of stress, caffeine, meds, etc... but you should check out just to be safe!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Had you had any caffeine? That combined with your medication can definitely get your heart racing.
  • mierla
    mierla Posts: 25
    Options
    It's fitness- usually if you arent as fit your heartrate is going to be higher

unless you've just had caffeine ;)
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hubby is a paramedic and I have heart probs, unrelated to weight. Normal rate is 60-100. 110 is not a big deal and 100 is perfectly normal. If you are concerned, mention it to your doc, but not worth making an appointment over, unless you notice other things that seem abnormal.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Sarah, look up the drug you are on here:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/index-drugs.aspx

and you can see what side efects are most common with it. Also make sure you discuss the elevated heart rate with the doctor who prescribes your medication.
  • swhisson
    swhisson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have always had a higher resting heart rate - used to be 100-110 when I smoked. I also have normal blood pressure, so I asked my doctor and he said that I was just at the high end of a normal resting heart rate. Once I quit smoking, it went down a little bit, but still high.

When I work out, my HR definitely jumps up a lot quicker in comparison to the people around me, but you just have to learn where your own levels are. I am usually at my max HR at about 195, where others would be at 170. I believe you can do a fitness test with the HRM to set your goals accurate to your resting HR - not sure about that model though.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    normal is between 60-100... average is 80. When you say your blood pressure is 120/80.. that means that your resting pulse is 80... lol... so idk which resting pulse you have. my boyfriends resting hr is 100 because he takes aderial for ADD. If you eat a lot of caffeine or high sugar food it will go up. You're supposed to take resting pulse in the morning as soon as you wake up for most acurate. I can run a 5K in 27 min, and my resting heart rate is 55. It just depends on how much you work out/how good of shape you are in for the most part.
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    try it again. were you anxious about something at the time? just finished moving around? how long were you "at rest"? if not for long, maybe try it after lying down for a few minutes, completely relaxed, taking deep breaths. if it's still pretty high i'd check in with a doc. best wishes!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!!

So I just got my first HRM yesterday and I am super pumped about it!

It is a Polar FT4.

I set up all my information on it today and realized my resting heart rate is 100-110. My target is 130-170. (according to the HRM)

I know that "normal" resting heart rate is supposed to be around 60 beats per min. and it is usually lower if you are a well trained athlete. I am wondering why mine is so high?? I counted my HR manually, and it was around 100 - same as the monitor. I never realized this before.

My blood pressure is usually really low. 120/80 is "normal" and mine is always around 98/60. I know this because I am in school for health care and we get bored and take our blood pressures all the time :) haha. So initially I figured since my blood pressure was normally low, and I am really active, that my resting heart rate would be 55-80. never around 110!!

Why is this? What do you guys think?? I know over 300 is flutter and over 350 is fibrillation. I havent worked out w/ my HRM yet. I am kind of concerned what my heart rate is going to be when I'm pushing it hard in the gym or running!

I should also say I take medication for ADHD, which is a stimulant. So that could be the reason.

But what do you guys think?? normal?? not???

like i said in my previous post. My boyfriend is in super good shape. He is a wrestling and football coach, and he does similar workouts to me. He is on aderial for ADD and his RHR is usually between 75-90 (once it was as high as 100 haha) and mine is usually 55-70
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    You have to take your resting heart rate as soon as you wake up, and BEFORE you get out of bed.

Right when you wake up, put on the HRM strap (or better, sleep with it on if you can). Lie there for 10-15 minutes, trying not to move around.

The lowest value you see is your resting heart rate.
  • sarah307
    Options
    rates above 100 are abnormal for resting heart rate.. tachycardia. it could be because of the meds or for something else. i would go to your family doctor to check it out. it could be because of stress, caffeine, meds, etc... but you should check out just to be safe!

yes!! I am not allowed to drink caffeine b/c of my meds anyways - but i am thinking its the meds. I am actually very concerned. because we learn about this at school. and I was actually hospitalized for tachycardia for like two days a few years ago but never was told to do anything about it cause they told me it would go back to normal?
  • sarah307
    Options
    It's fitness- usually if you arent as fit your heartrate is going to be higher

unless you've just had caffeine ;)

this is incorrect.
    usually people who are active runners/extremely trained athletes have a lower resting heart rate.
  • sarah307
    Options
    Sarah, look up the drug you are on here:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/index-drugs.aspx

and you can see what side efects are most common with it. Also make sure you discuss the elevated heart rate with the doctor who prescribes your medication.

THANKS
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Resting heart rate should be taken within a few minutes of waking before you get out of bed. That is your true resting heart rate.
  • sarah307
    Options
    normal is between 60-100... average is 80. When you say your blood pressure is 120/80.. that means that your resting pulse is 80... lol... so idk which resting pulse you have. my boyfriends resting hr is 100 because he takes aderial for ADD. If you eat a lot of caffeine or high sugar food it will go up. You're supposed to take resting pulse in the morning as soon as you wake up for most acurate. I can run a 5K in 27 min, and my resting heart rate is 55. It just depends on how much you work out/how good of shape you are in for the most part.

blood pressure 120/80 means 120 is the systolic number and 80 is the diastolic number. Blood pressure is the force of blood pumping against your artery walls. PULSE is how many times your heart beats per minute. it's different.
  • sarah307
    Options
    Resting heart rate should be taken within a few minutes of waking before you get out of bed. That is your true resting heart rate.

okay cool!
    i'll take mine manually and with my HRM tomorrow morning and see what it is!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLYING. HELPED A LOT !! :)
  • sarah307
    Options
    okay guys....

I just decided to put it on for the heck of it while i'm sitting here on the computer. even though its really meant for training and stuff... (cause i just cannot wait until morning time to figure this out!)

but i've been sitting here on the computer, listening to music... for about 30 minutes now and it is jumping from 120-150 === of me just sitting here!

I will still do it tomorrow morning.

thinking about calling my doctor..!??!?!?!