walking pushing wheelchair calories?

Options
Does anyone know how many calories it would be to walk pushing a wheelchair with say a 130 lb person? The walking is mostly flat with about 50yards of it downhill a very slight grade then the same 50 yards uphill again. I've done this walk at my work and just wondered the calories. It's a 1/2 mile around the building. I do 2 laps in 30 minutes so I'm figuring a 2mile per hour pace....I've been tracking it as walking a dog, but I'm not sure this is correct since a dog would be pulling me and I'm definately pushing this weight.
Dee

Replies

• ukmumintexas
    ukmumintexas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not sure, I pushed two of my Grandkids in the double stroller the other day, we went to the playground about 1/2 mile from my house up and down some slight hills nothing much, going was fine but while we were there the wind really picked up and pushing them back against the wind I really got some resistance training even though they probly dont weigh much more than 50 pounds when you add them together.
  • Megn_11
    Megn_11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd keep tracking at 3.0 mph walking a dog pace. Even though you are pushing something, you are going slower than the 3.0 mph pace. It's just an estimate anyways.
  • Megn_11
    Megn_11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Check out the exercise database. There is the "walking, pushing stroller" option too. It must calculate at a slow pace. I have two children and often push them in a double stroller, too. But I've found that MFP gives me a higher calorie burn if I enter it at my speed than the pushing stroller option. Just play around with it. And like I said before, it's just an estimate.
  • LamsieDee
    LamsieDee Posts: 85
    Options
    thanks, the pushing stroller would probably be closer to the wheelchair. thanks all for your quick answers :flowerforyou:
  • LamsieDee
    LamsieDee Posts: 85
    Options
    I actually found this on a google search it's 272 an hour assuming a body weight of 150 lbs...so it's really not that different than walking the dog!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories it would be to walk pushing a wheelchair with say a 130 lb person? The walking is mostly flat with about 50yards of it downhill a very slight grade then the same 50 yards uphill again. I've done this walk at my work and just wondered the calories. It's a 1/2 mile around the building. I do 2 laps in 30 minutes so I'm figuring a 2mile per hour pace....I've been tracking it as walking a dog, but I'm not sure this is correct since a dog would be pulling me and I'm definately pushing this weight.
    Dee

In 30 min at your weight, you might burn 80-100 calories. But that also includes your resting calories as well, so the actual amount is negligible.