summer exercise safety

Options
in my community today, it is over 90 degrees with a heat index of almost 100. i cannot afford a gym membership, so i tend to do my exercising outside. walking/jogging through my neighborhood, riding my bike, throwing frisbee with the dog, etc. when it gets this hot out, however, i worry about over-doing it. heat stroke, dehydration, etc. i know not to go out in the middle of the afternoon and to drink plenty of water, but what other steps should i take to help keep myself safe as the summer continues to get hotter?
ps: i don't have ac, so working out indoors, while an option, is not really a solution...

Replies

• Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If it is too hot out, try getting some workout dvds to use inside =) I have a pilates dvd, some tae bo dvds, some dance arobics, etc. It helps some! I also try to walk up and down my staircases as much as i can. I can definitely feel my thighs burning! lol Good luck and be safe =)
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Do your exercising at dawn or dusk; it's still light out and it's generally cooler. I live in the desert, so I know how much it sucks outside all summer. Or you could get a couple of fans at Walmart and see if that helps for the inside.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Early mornings or late evenings is a much better time of day. I can completely relate I live in NW Texas and we are already flirting with 100 degree temps. Drink lots of water before and after your workouts, and if walking carry water bottle with you. Wet a towel and wear on the back of your neck to help keep you cool.
  • calebespnsmommie
    calebespnsmommie Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When its this hot out, which I live in SC so I know what you mean about the hotness I usually walk fast and for longer then usual. Sometimes wlaking fast is the same as running, and when I do it it always challenges me more.. when there is a hill I usually run up or down them. I also put my water bottle in the freezer for about half an hour before I leave my house so that way my water is a little slush like. If I do run I run at night when it is cooler but still light out.. I have a mile mapped out in my neighbor hood so I know exactly how far and where to go. Do you have fans at home? You could always point a couple fans on your while you are home working out? Hope you find something that works for you!!! Good luck with your weight loss :)
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Try to get your exercise in very early in the morning before the sun has a chance to heat things up way too much.
    I too live in a hot place and from now till about October it will be anywhere from 85 - 95 degrees before 8:30 am. The earlier the better and do as much as you can in the shade......AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER.
  • kam81
    kam81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you are out for any length of time be sure to replace the salt you are losing from sweating. Personally, I don't like sports drinks so I add a small amount of salt to my water bottle. I sweat a ton and do most my excercising in the heat of the day....which is hot and muggy since I live in the South. You can over hydrate if you are not replacing your electrolytes.

So hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, but don't forget about your electrolytes