prefer elliptical or treadmill?

We are working on our home gym, I really want an elliptical first, but they are more expensive than treadmills. Which do you like more?

Replies

• We are working on our home gym, I really want an elliptical first, but they are more expensive than treadmills. Which do you like more?
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    I bought my elliptical first. Then my treadmill. I never use my elliptical anymore. I like the treadmill because I can go for longer periods of time. On the elliptical, my feet fall asleep after 10 to 15 minutes making the workout uncomfortable.

Have you used both machines in a gym? Which do you prefer?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    I bought my elliptical first. Then my treadmill. I never use my elliptical anymore. I like the treadmill because I can go for longer periods of time. On the elliptical, my feet fall asleep after 10 to 15 minutes making the workout uncomfortable.

Have you used both machines in a gym? Which do you prefer?

i like the elliptical but my feet do go numb but i keep going- Im not a big runner so I only speed walked on my treadmill- my sister in law uses her treadmill for runnin and she says it tears up her knees from the impact
  • blueenvy
    blueenvy Posts: 31 Member
    I would have to say the elliptical machine for me. I'm very overweight so my shins hurt a lot when I'm on the treadmill. so less wear an tear for me on the elliptical. Oh I use both machines in the gym.

90571.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    I like my elliptical better, you can burn more calories in a shorter workout, but my feet do go numb. I didn't know anyone else had this problem! I thought it was just bad shoes or something! Funny. :smile:
  • I prefer the elliptical. Have you looked at the Norditrac machine that they say is both treadmill and elliptical?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I like the elliptical better, but I have found that if I run or walk inclines on the treadmill, I can burn more calories. If I had to choose one for at home, I'd get an elliptical.

Have you used both before? I have a coworker and a best friend who cannot use ellipticals. One is older and had hip problems; one is younger and says her natural stance causes her to have back pain when using an elliptical. Just wanted you to be aware that not everyone likes both machines...
  • I've used both, I think the elliptical is "more fun" but the treadmill has more options like incline, walking, running, etc. I have bad shins too, I just figured that out when I started exercising. I guess Ill shop around and see what prices I find!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    I have both in my home gym and at the public gym. What you prefer will ultimately depend on how your body responds to them. (If you've never tried one, many gyms offer a day pass or even a one month trial for CHEAP.) I bought a treadmill that provided me with a lesser impact than running on blacktop, but still found myself with knee pain. I later purchased a NordicTrak elliptical for which my knees don't hurt. The impact on the elliptical was noticeably less. I found that in my case, I burned more calories during my hour run and I could more accurately count my calories burned and heart rate with this machine. I am now selling my treadmill and looking to purchase an Arc Trainer (I love those at the gym).

PS: I only found my feet falling asleep after I had worn out my tennis shoes. I recommend if you are going to do a lot of treadmill, elliptical, etc... that you go get fitted for shoes. They will probably be more expensive (mine are $140), but your feet will thank you both now and when you are older.
    :flowerforyou:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Treadmill!!

It's my favorite piece of equipment because of the versatility and the whole tingling of one's feet!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    I love the elliptical. It is really easy on your joints and you can slowly work your way up the levels. It gives me a GREAT workout.

A treadmill is great too. It's more about what you think you can stick with.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    We are working on our home gym, I really want an elliptical first, but they are more expensive than treadmills. Which do you like more?

have you searched your area for a 2nd hand sports shop? I have one called "Play it Again Sports"

I bought a gym quality Ellip trainer for under $500 and I have NEVER regretted it.

I had a treadmill and became bored. I bought a cheap model that shook when you walked and made this squuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnngg
    noise that was so irratating.

So I guess my advice is to buy the best of whichever one you like the most. Search the newspaper, craigslist, and nearby stores. The gym may have a posting too,
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Oh yeah, and if the treadmill has 'incline' it will keep you from getting bored and also give you interval training so your muscles dont get bored too!!