What kind of exercise is good for belly fat that does not hu

Options
2»

Replies

• KaraStara
    KaraStara Posts: 5
    Options
    Just read all the posts and agree with most of it. Personally, I really struggle cutting out ALL carbs, I find that I end up with insane cravings for sugar and carbs. So I have a rule that the only carbs I eat are for breakfast and only when I've had a workout. So I'll have porridge or museli.

The rest of the time I have salad with chicken or tuna and for dinner I'll have lots of veggies and some fish or meat. When I'm hungry for snacking I'll eat fresh fruit or nuts.

The one thing that I've not seen mentioned is what you drink. You need to first of all cut out alcohol for at least 2 weeks, on top of this cut out all fizzy drinks and up your water intake to 3.5 - 4 litres a day.

Basically, just make sure everything you eat is fresh and not processed. If you want carbs the best are sweet potatoes, quinoa, couscous, oats, brown rice. Don't have pasta or bread at all.

When in the gym you need to be doing cardio, but dont just run for 40mins as your body gets used to this. Do interval training, fartlek training and hill running. Try to mix up your cardio each day too as this will keep the body guessing.

Finally, although as people have said you can't spot reduce fat, adding an ab workout to the end of your cardio will help tone that area.

Good luck :-)
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I really needed this reminder about the benefits/success rate of lower carb dieting. I've been venturing off into stupid eating and justifying all kinds of carbs these past few weeks. :/
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options

When you eat carbs - you get fatter. When you don't eat carbs - you get thinner. Try to maximize time spent getting thinner.

That is a bit of a simple look at it IMO.

Insulin is also highly anabolic and there are good reasons to spike this around a heavy workout. Muscles require some carbs to be rebuilt also. (Yes, you're body can use protein for an energy source but it is not an efficient one)

Good article on it here. (much better than I can put into words)
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_insulin_advantage_how_to_bulk_and_cut_on_the_same_day

In saying that, I generally agree (especially for people who have been overweight that a lower carb diet can be helpful because of insulin sensitivity) and I pretty much only eat oats/fibrous veggies as carb sources.

Yes - absolutely. It's the 2,000 yard view of the whole thing. There is a time you want insulin, post lifting workout, but I don't think that's what the OP is really talking about. When talking pretty serious weight loss, I always recommend very low carb, then start adding in post WO carbs (such as sweet potatoes) as the client gets to more of a normal body fat range. Good point.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options

When you eat carbs - you get fatter. When you don't eat carbs - you get thinner. Try to maximize time spent getting thinner.

That is a bit of a simple look at it IMO.

Insulin is also highly anabolic and there are good reasons to spike this around a heavy workout. Muscles require some carbs to be rebuilt also. (Yes, you're body can use protein for an energy source but it is not an efficient one)

Good article on it here. (much better than I can put into words)
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_insulin_advantage_how_to_bulk_and_cut_on_the_same_day

In saying that, I generally agree (especially for people who have been overweight that a lower carb diet can be helpful because of insulin sensitivity) and I pretty much only eat oats/fibrous veggies as carb sources.

Yes - absolutely. It's the 2,000 yard view of the whole thing. There is a time you want insulin, post lifting workout, but I don't think that's what the OP is really talking about. When talking pretty serious weight loss, I always recommend very low carb, then start adding in post WO carbs (such as sweet potatoes) as the client gets to more of a normal body fat range. Good point.

Hey Steve - can you reccomend any old threads where you've weighed in heavily on the low-carb eating template? I'm intrigued with your expertise on the topic.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Sounds like we are in agreeance then :smile: