Women 40+

Options
I'm looking for other women 40 and over to form a support group during our perimenopause years. Over the past 5 years, the weight has packed on, and I am having trouble budging the weight despite tracking calories and working out like a fiend these past few months. I am starting my journey of research to find out what I can do. Are there safe supplements to take to boost metabolism? Are there certain exercises that will help more than others? Are there super foods I can eat to help?

Does anyone want to join me?

Fitnfun1

Replies

• SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I"m in (high five)!! feel free to add me
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm in... It would be nice to have a few more friends whose bodies are changing too. Feel free to add me as well. :flowerforyou:
    Sassy
  • anitamartina
    Options
    Sure, I'd like to join you. I'm already 50 and also perimenopausal, but I remember that almost as soon as I turned 40.
    my metabolism really slowed down. My joke with many friends in the same boat was that we "gain weight just by looking at food".

Thanks!

Anita :happy:
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Add me in please!
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
    I'm 47 (for a few more weeks!) and I know I need to loose this before menopause. I am assured by friends that it gets much harder, so I'm after it. I teach school so have more time to exercise for a couple of months while school is out for "summer." (My school district starts back up in mid-August, the best month of summer here in Alaska - but I'd better veer off that before it turns into a rant.)
    I have 2 teenage boys and a husband who is also trying to loose (but not using MFP). Oh, and a golden retriever who loves to walk with me. when I don't get out there (like today as we're having work done on our driveway and I'm the contact person) he follows me around as if to say "Hey, when are we going out? Hey, is it time for our walk yet? Hey, get with the program Mom!" A large dog is an exerciser's best friend.
    Thanks for initiating this group!
    Sandra
  • fuminator18
    fuminator18 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hav you ever heard of a book called "What Your doctor May Not Tell You About Premenapouse" written by Dr. John Lee. Well this book was very helpful to me to understand how progestrone and esgrogen needs to balance during our body change. Dr. lee recommends the progestrone cream but i personally don't use it just because my chiro doctor doesn't recommend it. Yet I've heard many people who uses "good kind of progestrone cream" relieved from difficulties in menopause. I am not a big fan of conventional doctor,so I basically see a homeopath/herbalist chiropractic doctor, but anyway, if you haven't heard of this book, I totally recommend it. I am sure your local library has it.
  • OliveLucas
    OliveLucas Posts: 84
    Options
    count me in... feel free to add me everyone! :smile:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Add me too - from everything I've read, the one thing that is really critical as we get older is weight training - women lose muscle mass fairly rapidly once they hit 35-40, and that is a large contributor to the slower metabolism. Also, weight training is helpful for maintaining bone density. I would recommend the book "Strong Women Stay Young" by Miriam nelson, PhD. Other than that, eating healthier (and more protein/less carbs) and including cardio seems to be the secret for the women I know who are in great shape in their 40s and 50s.
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm in, love to discuss that lovely little things that as 30-something, I had no clue is around the corner...

My favorite right now - that hateful little muffin top that seemed to magically appear right after a I turned 40, that refuses to budge, matter how much weight I lose. I hate it, but have been told I might well love it, since it isn't going anywhere. I refuse to believe that. Any suggestions???
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Thank you everyone for joining me! I need to get some sleep, but I will be sure to check back in tomorrow morning. Just the fact some of you are mentioning muffin tops and posting exercise/book suggestions gives me encouragement that I am not alone and hope that there are things we can do to overcome this.

Thanks again!
  • cecenk
    cecenk Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I am 43 years old. I joined MFP via my iPhone a few months ago. I used it for about a week and didn't lose any weight but didn't gain either. Now I have actually gained 5 pounds since then...uggh. Going in the wrong direction. I definitely need some support!!
  • OliveLucas
    OliveLucas Posts: 84
    Options
    potbelly is my biggest pain! :mad:

i recenlty got a book "The New Abs Diet for Women"... well, i actually got "The New Abs Diet Cookbook" first, after reading the 1st chapter, loved it so much and went to get the diet book for women.

i highly recommend this book, you can check it out at amazon.com or borrow it from your local library.
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Ladies, count me in! I'm a mother of 5, 43 years old and like clock work as soon as I turned 40, the metablism slowed to a crawl and my toned body turned to mush! Now I cant seem to loose weight if my life depended on it, my mush keeps getting mushier and every day I look in the mirror and just shake my head! Finally, my oldest daughter told me out MFP and all the wonderful people in this community. Thought I would give it a shot. been at it for a week now. lost one pound so far. started the 30 day shred 5 days ago and dying to see what the results will be!

Looking foward o fighting the 40's together!
    wendy
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Ok, count me in! I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism shortly after turning 40, and with it came weight gain. I will be 45 in July and it has taken me this long just to feel somewhat "normal" after my thyroid disease diagnoses. Now it's time to think about the premenopausal stage and everything that goes with that.....UGH, somebody shoot me now!! lol
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Count me in:sad: :happy: :grumble: :angry: :yawn: OMG the mood swings are already starting...feel free to add me as a friend
  • jaburwell
    jaburwell Posts: 1
    Options
    Please add me! :flowerforyou:
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Count me in! But I happen to believe that we CAN beat this by doing everything that we are suppose to do. I believe that CONSISTENCY counts more now than ever! Lots of hard work but worth it to beat the menapausal time. I am 42, mother of 3 and coming back from Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatique. it can be done, girls! :)
  • aliharper
    aliharper Posts: 3
    Options
    Ladies..add me to the group. I am 41 and have gained a significant amount of weight. I watch what I eat, joined the gym, do cardio 4-5 times/wk, have a personal trainer & have lost 1 pound in 6 weeks. So frustrated. Trainer now says I need to intensify my cardio, but I'm exhausted already from the workouts. Would love to hear some success stories and tips.
  • cecenk
    cecenk Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm bumping our thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. I don't know how to make us a group and find us again. Does anyone else know? It's 8:16 pm and the snacks are calling my name. This is my biggest problem...all the after dinner snacking.
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this group. I am 43 years old and a mother of 3 (15, 13 and 12). I loath exercise but am gradually trying to get back at it. I am sooo easily tempted every night to not do it at all. I also am not a morning person and the idea of waking up at 5am to exercise is just revolting. I confess that I am also a carboholic. The idea of switching my eating habits to loads of protein, fruits and veggies gives me heart palpatations! I have been on MFP for about 30 days and have lost about 6 lbs. I would love to see what we can all accomplish together!