Low Carb Pastas such as Dreamfields...???

Options
I would love to hear some opinions both pro and con for pastas like Dreamfields where much of the carbs are not digested...where of the total carbs of 41g, 5 go to fiber and 31 are protected or non digestible carbs, leaving a net of 5 digestible carbs...

Replies

• austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I've never heard of it but would love to hear peoples opinions
  • eloflin
    eloflin Posts: 5
    Options
    It does taste as good as regular pasta...and if the net carb thing is true...I will tell you, you will realize that 90% of those carbs/roughage are passing through you...
  • moochiesmoochie
    Options
    I only eat Dreamfields now and have been eating it for at least 6 months. It tastes just like "regular" pasta.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have no personal experience with this pasta as I don't eat pasta but in my travels around the webz, I have come across this anecdotal article that you may find interesting ...

http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-dreamfields-pasta-fraud

Like the person who posted below me, I too eat spaghetti squash instead but it took some getting used to the taste as I never did like squash before. Now I prefer it.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any pasta. I have just chosen to eliminate it from my diet completely. I found that eating any kind of pasta made me crave pasta and other carbs even more. I eat spaghetti squash now instead of pasta. It is delicious. 8 oz. of spaghetti squash has 44 calories and 10 carbs (most of which are fiber). A serving of pasta is only 2 ounces. That isn't very much at all. I can eat four times the spaghetti squash with far fewer calories. It must be popular because all four grocery store chains where I live have not been able to keep stocked with them.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have no personal experience with this pasta myself as I don't eat pasta but in my travels around the webz, I have come across this anecdotal article that you may find interesting ...

http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-dreamfields-pasta-fraud

Interesting article.

Although I no longer eat any pasta, I think this guys article is very misleading. He says pasta (Dreamfield's) is "slow carb", but that it is all slowly absorbed. Foods can be "slow carb". They are also called resistant carbs. Cold pasta (even the regular kind) has more resistant carbs than hot pasta. Google "resistant carbs". This is what the "Dreamfield's pasta is claiming, they just don't call them resistant carbs. There are plenty of foods that contain resistant carbs naturally...without some miraculous manufacturing. I don't know that I believe that their pasta is some super "patent pending" pasta that just passes through your body. The author states that the Dreamfield's pasta should cause excess gas. All high fiber foods do not cause gas. Some do, but I eat a lot of fiber and I don't get gassy. He also says the pasta "spiked" his blood sugar. First of all, normal blood sugar is 80-110. His "spike" was only in the 130's. That is not a spike. 150, 160, up to over 200...that is a spike. I am a diabetic, believe me, 130 is not a spike. It is absolutely normal to have a period where the blood sugar elevates after eating carbs, Dreamfield's pasta or regular pasta. If you look at the author's graph showing his blood sugar (during the 7 hours he tracked it), it slowly returned to normal. It was down to normal range within a couple hours. If you don't have diabetes, it is perfectly normal for your sugar to go up to 130 after eating carbs. If you are an untreated diabetic it will go higher. If your diabetes is well managed, it won't increase as much. I don't know if the Dreamfield's pasta is some super food that does what it claims...but I do know that the guy who wrote this article was full of hot air!!
  • eloflin
    eloflin Posts: 5
    Options
    @ Losing2Live69...Thank you for your info...I agree with much of what you're saying, and my daughter has had diabetes since she was 7...so I understand that dimension of this...I totally identify with your story also...I'm glad you're on here with us now.