About eating back your calories when you're not hungry(guide

2»

Replies

• ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Yes, that's what it amounts to. There is a physiological limit to the amount of calories you can burn per day from fat. If you exceed that, you burn muscle instead. The limit is based on how many pounds of fat you have. More fat to burn means you tolerate a bigger caloric deficit, i.e. a more extreme diet. Leaner people need to be less aggressive with their deficit, and eat closer to their maintenence calories. They also need to be more careful to not exercise their way into a huge deficit without eating back some of those calories.

As for me, I have plenty of fat to lose, so can tolerate a big calorie deficit on paper, but doing it in terms of hunger is harder. Slow and steady wins the race. Hopefully. :bigsmile:
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    As usual, ascriminal forgot to preface another controversial post with 'IN MY OPINION'.
    The thing about the calorie limits that MFP sets is that, depending on your activity level, it aims to put you at a deficit BEFORE any type of purposeful exercise. The reason this site does that is so you can lose weight just by eating less.

So the more you workout on purpose, the greater the calorie deficit will be. THAT is the reason that many people on here advise eating back the exercise calories, because running a negative is probably just as bad as going over.

This is correct. Additionally, everyone's body has a different 'stall point' for weight loss. Some call them plateaus. Some people reach them quickly (I hit mine, every time I've ever lost weight...within a month), others more gradually...but the inevetible way to fix it is to EAT MORE FOOD.
    So, my BMR is around 1300 calories a day. MFP suggests I eat 1200. 100 cals deficit a day. 1lb weight loss in 35 days. Have been following, eating all my calories back, 3 months later I weigh 5 lbs more that I did when i started MFP. so no, I will not increase my calorie intake, and I stopped eating my exercise calories. Its working so far.
    So EAT MORE FOOD is not advice for everyone.

I'm the same as halina on this one i seem to gain when eatting back calories
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    As usual, ascriminal forgot to preface another controversial post with 'IN MY OPINION'.
    The thing about the calorie limits that MFP sets is that, depending on your activity level, it aims to put you at a deficit BEFORE any type of purposeful exercise. The reason this site does that is so you can lose weight just by eating less.

So the more you workout on purpose, the greater the calorie deficit will be. THAT is the reason that many people on here advise eating back the exercise calories, because running a negative is probably just as bad as going over.

This is correct. Additionally, everyone's body has a different 'stall point' for weight loss. Some call them plateaus. Some people reach them quickly (I hit mine, every time I've ever lost weight...within a month), others more gradually...but the inevetible way to fix it is to EAT MORE FOOD.
    So, my BMR is around 1300 calories a day. MFP suggests I eat 1200. 100 cals deficit a day. 1lb weight loss in 35 days. Have been following, eating all my calories back, 3 months later I weigh 5 lbs more that I did when i started MFP. so no, I will not increase my calorie intake, and I stopped eating my exercise calories. Its working so far.
    So EAT MORE FOOD is not advice for everyone.

same here. To the OP: Thanks for finally standing up for us. I was eating the 1,200 calories through force because people on here freaked out and said I would go into starvation mode and not lose otherwise...hit a plateau. Now that I am eating around 1,000 calories per day I am finally losing again >.<
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    sorry, double post
This discussion has been closed.