Does your body ever go back?

Options
As I near the end of my weight loss, I am beginning to wonder...will my body ever go back to the way it was? I mean, does losing over 100 lbs just mean that I'm left with stretch marks and saggy skin to show for it? Has anyone out there lost that amount of weight and still look awesome?

Please tell me that I have something to look forward to when I hit my goal weight! My body isn't THAT bad, amazingly...but I hate to think that a tummy tuck is all I have to look forward to when this is all over with.

Anyone have any input on this?

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    if youve been significantly bigger in the past to the extent your skin has stretched, then there is a chance it will never look like it would if youd always been slim. Stretchmarks are generally a permanent thing although they do fade.
    The benefits to being a healthy weight though are many
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    We are human and not one of us is perfect. I actually had more confidence after gaining 65lbs with pregnancy and then dropping it all. My body was not the same as it was before, it was now stretched, scared and droopy but i was looking and feeling so much better then my highest weight that i didnt care. You will have this amazing life changing journey to share with other and when you retell it it will inspire other to follow your footsteps and look up to you as a roll model.
  • DarthBubbles
    DarthBubbles Posts: 138
    Options
    We are human and not one of us is perfect. I actually had more confidence after gaining 65lbs with pregnancy and then dropping it all. My body was not the same as it was before, it was now stretched, scared and droopy but i was looking and feeling so much better then my highest weight that i didnt care. You will have this amazing life changing journey to share with other and when you retell it it will inspire other to follow your footsteps and look up to you as a roll model.

Such a great attitude to have...I need to start thinking like this :)
  • JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options
    I'm scared of saggy skin as well! I'm only 21 and my highest weight was 262. I've been at least 240 for about 4 years, but gained the other 20 during my last pregnancy.

I wish there was a simple answer- the truth is that you wont know until you get to that point.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Well, I totally realize that losing weight is wayyy better than the alternative. I'm so happy that I've lost nearly 100 lbs and it's still hard to believe that I've even made it this far. It's just kind of a bummer that I'm pretty sure I'll never get to wear a bikini even though I've put in this crazy hard work! I guess I'm hoping that someone will post some pictures of 100+ lb weight loss and show me that it really can look good so that I can regain some hope!
  • risefromruin
    Options
    I'm scared of saggy skin as well! I'm only 21 and my highest weight was 262. I've been at least 240 for about 4 years, but gained the other 20 during my last pregnancy.

I wish there was a simple answer- the truth is that you wont know until you get to that point.

Ha! We sound the same...I'm 23 and last January I was weighing in at 260. I'm 165 now and I can tell you that my body is not THAT horrible...as long as I keep up on my weights and toning exercises I think it'll be pretty okay. The only thing that will really never disappear is the stretch marks but I think we have being young in our favor for our skin going back. :)
  • JessesGirl05
    Options

Ha! We sound the same...I'm 23 and last January I was weighing in at 260. I'm 165 now and I can tell you that my body is not THAT horrible...as long as I keep up on my weights and toning exercises I think it'll be pretty okay. The only thing that will really never disappear is the stretch marks but I think we have being young in our favor for our skin going back. :)

You're only about 2 inches shorter then me...have you had any kids? do you mind showing pics of your progress? (I'd like to see how "okay" your tummy looks!
    I hear that even if things dont 100% "pop back" that it can still get a lot better with strength training. I'm holding onto hope that that will what saves me! I fear that I will have my "post preggo flap" forever...and its so depressing!
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    Sure you can wear a bikini, just have to find the right cut. Wear a shear cover over it if you are shy.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i know it can be disheartnening. I often feel sad that even when im small, im never going to have nice toned legs or bum, purely because i was so much bigger in the past and the skin stretched. I also had to (decided to) have a breast lift because my boobs got completely messed up with weight gain/loss with pregnancy. Its a shame because some people just spring back, but for a lot of people there are consequences for getting big in the first place, and you WILL be able to wear a bikini. You may have to modify the style a little if you need more coverage in certain areas, and only you can decide if youll want corrective surgery to nip and tuck bits you cant target with diet and exercise, but its GREAT that youre making changes and are on a positive journey
  • JessesGirl05
    Options
    OH! And I've heard GREAT things about the plank (the exercise) I hear it tones your tummy really well!
  • risefromruin
    Options

You're only about 2 inches shorter then me...have you had any kids? do you mind showing pics of your progress? (I'd like to see how "okay" your tummy looks!
    I hear that even if things dont 100% "pop back" that it can still get a lot better with strength training. I'm holding onto hope that that will what saves me! I fear that I will have my "post preggo flap" forever...and its so depressing!

Since you asked...I don't have pictures of my stomach before, but here are before and after photos of me with clothes. I haven't had any kids but my tummy basically looks like I have, up close at least!

weightloss.jpg

Annnnd...never thought I'd post something like this...but here is the tummy now...

IMG_3547.jpg
  • risefromruin
    Options
    Oh, and I love the plank pose! I love yoga in general...it has tooootally helped me tone my body up and ease stress!!
  • JessesGirl05
    Options

Since you asked...I don't have pictures of my stomach before, but here are before and after photos of me with clothes. I haven't had any kids but my tummy basically looks like I have, up close at least!

weightloss.jpg

Annnnd...never thought I'd post something like this...but here is the tummy now...

IMG_3547.jpg

Girl you look GREAT! I can only hope my belly looks half as good as that when I'm done!
    Keep doing the plank, and other ab work outs- and you will be fine!
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    the younger you are and the slower you lose weight the better chance you have that the skin will shrink back, this will sound silly but use hemroid cream , thats what body builders do when they cut to tighten up the skin, be proud of the stretch marks , use them to remind you how much hard work you did
  • JessesGirl05
    Options
    Another exercise you can try (if you havent already) is one i learned from Jillian Michaels (i think it was on level 3 of the shred) get in the plank pose (like a push up using your hands, not your forearms), take your right foot, and bring it up under you, and to your left side. return your leg to starting position, and repeat with your left leg.
  • risefromruin
    Options
    Thank you!! I owe a lot to my trainer at the gym! :) Yeah, I talked to the dermatologist about stretch marks...she basically says there is no fix. She told me to get where I want to be and if I'm still thinking about it to look into the laser treatments that they have for them. But basically cocoa butter and all those creams = money down the drain so I haven't bothered much with them.
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    OMG OMG I came on here this morning after having had a really horrible nightmare about saggy skin (I was 244lbs and am now 238lbs so really just starting out)

THANK YOU for posting your pics. If my tummy looks half as good as yours I will be ecstatic!!!
  • risefromruin
    Options
    OMG OMG I came on here this morning after having had a really horrible nightmare about saggy skin (I was 244lbs and am now 238lbs so really just starting out)

THANK YOU for posting your pics. If my tummy looks half as good as yours I will be ecstatic!!!

All I can say is, keep going!!! Having the weight off is so much better, even with the threat of having some skin that doesn't go back. Friend me or message me whenever...I'm here for support!
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    You look great! I havnt tried it ever but maybe spray tanning, if you plan to show your belly, it might hide the discoloration of the stretch marks.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I think that the younger you are the less saggy skin that you have. Also a slow and steady weight loss helps. I have my trouble areas but they are starting to look a bit better. I have lost around 70lbs in total since my heaviest and I had a 10lb 5oz baby so my stomach especially is not the greatest, but I am proud of my progress nonetheless!