A womans cycle and cravings

monstr0sity
monstr0sity Posts: 33
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Does any other women out there feel that at a certain time during their menstrual cycle, you crave junk food like crazy and give into these cravings more easily than you would during other times of the month? For me it lasts 1-2 weeks. I can barely control myself and lose track of my healthy lifestyle. :(

If anyone else is like this, how do you manage?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    I get moody. What i do is snack more and have few calories for my meals. Exercise helps too. It will allow for more calories to consume.
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    I have the same problem! I really over did it the last few weeks. I guess finding low fat healthy choices instead of the salty sweet we crave is a great idea! But I agree it's a tough time of the month :)
  • wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    Hopefully this is not at all related to pregnancy cravings in my future but I crave terrible for you foods. McDonalds French fries are pretty common. Though I forbade myself from going there finally since "if I get the small or medium I'm just going to want to eat something else later, better get the large!"
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    For me it lasts 1-2 weeks. :(

^^^Two weeks!!! That's half your life! I get those cravings, too, but it's only for a few days, tops. I feel for you! :ohwell:
  • Kipper66
    Kipper66 Posts: 17 Member
    I know exactly how you feel, I'm always at my worst 3 days before and during for the first 3 days. For me exercise works, if I'm at work I'll take a walk away from my desk, get a glass of water, but I know I will give in so I have mini jaffa cakes to hand, they are relatively low in calories, low in fat and the chocolate helps to kill the craving.

Just try to keep it in moderation and don't beat yourself up about it, feeling guilty only makes it worse and so does forcing yourself to go without; because then you do fall of the wagon and binge big style.

Good luck I know you can do it. :smile:
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    I get a craving for red meat and chocolate (not at the same time), not so much the salty stuff though. I've found if I just plan it into my daily meals/snacks I'm satisfied.
  • Yeah, I have lots of trouble a couple days before my period starts... it's mostly because I feel like crap...I get really bad PMS symptoms... the worst is bloating because I happen to carry water weight in my chest area and so my breasts get INCREDIBLY sore and even wearing an uber supportive bra it hurts to walk so I lay around all day and FORGET trying to exercise, it'll make it a million times worse... i try to eat lots of asparagus/melon/celery as they are diuretics but when you're laying around feeling like crap it's soooo easy to grab the bag of chips or cookies or whatever it is.... :(
  • koukla702
    koukla702 Posts: 171
    I totally went over my calorie count yesterday because of this....grrr!!!

it's really hard to control for me.
  • villa89
    villa89 Posts: 10
    I go through that too... normally one week before my cycle , craving for food, mostly chocolate....Its really tough to keep the cravings as well as myself under control, just have to CONSTANTLY remind myself that i am trying to loose weight...also ,this article seems to be helpful :

How to Fight Food Cravings
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56732
  • I go through that too... normally one week before my cycle , craving for food, mostly chocolate....Its really tough to keep the cravings as well as myself under control, just have to CONSTANTLY remind myself that i am trying to loose weight...also ,this article seems to be helpful :

How to Fight Food Cravings
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56732

Really great article! Thanks!
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    PMS has been really hard on me too, particularly with bloating and anxiety. I gave up coffee and have green tea now instead, and I think that's made a huge difference in reducing both my anxiety level and breast tenderness.
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    The green tea deffo helps with the tension, its the biscuits i cant ignore lol. Starts 3 days before and lasts for the first 3 days of my period. ive tried to resist but decided i would have 3 biscuits to stop my cravings and it worked, i was actually satisfied but horribly guilty lol i cant win :ohwell:
  • Thanks for all the replies lovely ladies :) I'm still stuck but I've been doing more at the gym to make up for it.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    I bake healthy chocolate snacks when my cravings strike. It's easy for me and a lot cheaper since I tend to keep healthy baking supplies around the kitchen.
  • lissababe
    lissababe Posts: 38 Member
    omg! i get cravings like no other! and i never seem to get full! BUT today i beat the urge and popped a stick of gum in my pie hole before i made a bad choice. Always keep gum handy!!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    mostly for me its chocolate..or something sweet..but there are times i really really want a whole bag of cheetos
  • Andithin
    Andithin Posts: 8
    I know this sounds bad but i give into my cravings. Not like eat large fries and a double whopper from Burger King but more like get an order of small fries a diet coke and go home and cook up a burger and then eat that far more satisfying. If i'm craving chocolate or cookies that is a little harder. That is one of those times when you have to give up something for it or do an extra 20 minutes.

I'm on my period right now and i craved cookies and i totally cave in and made a batch of 24 2 days ago and they are almost gone :( its one of those things where you just have to try really really hard not to give in.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    I crave salty and sweet or RED MEAT.....im not really much of a steak eater, but when its t.o.m i want a big huge juicy steak
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    sweet stuff for me. TOM now and i had to eat half a packet of mcvities dark chocolate digestives last night with my coffee and they were delicious lol
  • tami107
    tami107 Posts: 25
    I went completely over yesterday, for the exact reason, but I try to say one night off to satisfy what ever I need ( last night was chocolate and lots of it) and then tell my self no more cos you have done it!
This discussion has been closed.