Ok, this is ridiculous.

Options
Alright kids, here is my deal.

I have been on a "diet" (not a strict one- more of a watch what you eat, try not to eat much over 1200-1300 calories and get a decent amount of exercise lifestyle.) for about five years now. It wasn't very difficult for me, and I maintained a sized 8/6 (I'm 5'7"). I joined this site months ago because I was tired of being a Rubens yearning for the long lean lines of a Klimt. (Ok, really a shciele)

And so, I stepped up my game. I do (intense) Zumba 4 to 7 times a week, resistance weights 2 or three times a week, I eat within my 1200 calories a day sometimes spilling over into my exercise calories and I very rarely go over. My jobs pretty sedentary, but I get up and move almost every hour. I only drink alcohol about once a month, and I'm such a lightweight its never much more than a beer and a shot.

And somehow in four-five months of stepping it up...I've lost 4 pounds. 3 of which I gain back every month for a week or so. I have put on muscle, and my body may be a little smaller- but not enough to lose a pants size. I admit, I've always had the metabolism of an obese snail...but shouldn't I see more results by now?

So...what am I doing wrong? Should I do two hours of cardio a day instead of of one? Most of my calories are from sugar and fat- could that be the problem? Should I just be more patient? The fat I want to lose is on my stomach and my upper arms- does that take longer to burn than say the slim layer of flesh everywhere else? Should I jump-start my diet with a fad juice fast? Try an ECA stack? Just suck it up? lol.

Thanks for your help guys

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    open your diary so people can make suggestions.
  • piexcore
    piexcore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lol, somehow the idea of people looking at what I eat is really embarrassing. But, its open.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    probably not eating enough! sounds strange but true! Open up the diary!
  • LozFearn
    LozFearn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think you are not eating enough - I'd try eating at least half of your exercise calories.

If you don't eat enough - your body will hang onto it as much as it can, as it thinks you are starving. Try it for a month and see what happens.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    The majority of my calories comes from lean protien and protien supplements!
  • pawprint_net
    Options
    I'm currently trying the eat more approach too - also based on the advice of others, while it hasn't been long enough to see an effect I'm not gaining either - so I'd through in my vote for trying it too.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I think you are not eating enough - I'd try eating at least half of your exercise calories.

If you don't eat enough - your body will hang onto it as much as it can, as it thinks you are starving. Try it for a month and see what happens.

Me too!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The answer is in your diary. You need to eat better. Less processed high fat, high sodium foods. Until you change to a healthy diet you will be stuck When you enter foods you have to make sure all the goals are met not just calories.
  • ksmittens
    ksmittens Posts: 65
    Options
    Maybe start to track your sodium and see what your levels are. I know we all run into our runts so dont get discouraged! Keep up the good work and although the results maybe slow they will certainly come!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You're 5'7". How much do you weigh? And how old are you? I would say your activity level is lightly -moderately active, including workouts.

You've been eating 1200-1300 calories for 5 years and now, even less, unless you eat back your exercise calories.

Let me use some guesstimates:

A 5'7" woman, age 25, who weighs about 145 pounds and is lightly-moderately active should be burning between 1900-2200 calories a day. If you are at a healthy weight and trying to lose vanity pounds, it won't work with a huge 1000 calorie deficit. You need to be eating about 250 calories less than you are burning before your body will let loose of any excess fat. So you should be eating between 1700-2000 calories a day (including exercise calories). *IF* the stats I guesstimated are correct....

tl;dr - Eat more.
  • piexcore
    piexcore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yeah, lately I've been eating allot more lately on the off chance that was it. I have to be careful about when I eat animal proteins though, because they make me really tired.

Oh. I'm 23 and I weigh 155 pounds.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes, you definitely eat a lot of sugar and fat--maybe cut that back for a few weeks or cut it out altogether. I know diets higher in protein, less carbs tend to work fastest on the belly so maybe try doing more of that. Eating more protein also keeps you fuller, longer so you may not have the cravings for the cookies, cakes, ice creams?? Who knows girl, I've been working out harder than ever and gaining weight so I'm hating life myself!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    You have a "sweet tooth"....LOL....I notice you didn't log your water intake, are you drinking at least 8 glasses a day!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'd say more protein and less carbs. Try and stay under your sugar as well (I know it's soooo hard!)
  • Lima_India_Zulu
    Options
    You do probably need to eat more. Whatever your net calories if you don't EAT 1200 or more a day your body might go into starvation mode and hold onto everything it's got. Try eating around 1500 or more and then working it off back down to a sensible net level.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Water? are you drinking it? are you drinking enough of it? They say 8 glasses a day at minimum.
    Take your weight/2 and then divide by 8. that is how many glasses at minimum you should get.

Seems you are working out so make sure you are getting lots of water in those work outs. You should be putting 8ozs for every 20-30 minutes of work outs

Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% activity- so many experts say.... :) I am not an expert but I have to agree with all the personal trainers have told me.....the more I eat the more I seem to lose!

You need the minimum of 1200 but if you are working out that much you might want to try to eat more during the day (I do find it hard to eat so much after a work out

How are you getting the calorie burn? I have an HRM so I know its my burn and that has really helped! You could be over or under estimating what you are truly burning!

:happy:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. You may not see the results since you look at yourself every day.

Also...stop worrying about weight. It is the worse measurement of progress.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    You do eat a lot of sweets. Those are just empty calories that do nothing for you. If you want sweet, try some grapes, or berries, or something. Drink a lot of water. Get some lean protein. I'm a vegetarian and I still manage to get enough on 1200 a day.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, cut carbs down. Way too high, then up your protein.

To do this just go to goals, click custom and then change the percentages to something like Protein-40, Carbs-35, Fat-25 or if you must 40/40/20.

Simple thing to digest is this. For every 1 oz of carbs you take in you will hold 3oz of water. Just in that you are holding water. I can't see your sodium intake, start recording it. Do your best to stay under 2500mg a day. Make sure to take in at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Cut out the processed high fat foods.

Secondly how are you monitoring your hr and cals burned?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Animals proteins make you tired because you’re not used to eating them. You need way more protein in your diet. Here is my advice, cut back on the junk food, add more protein, eat a better breakfast. Eat cleaner too, cut back on processed foods, sugars, refined carbs, hydrogenated oils, and did I mention you need more protein in your diet?