Water aerobics

joeysrib
joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I was wondering if anybody found these to be a good workout? I am taking my first class today, and I'm really excited about it.

Replies

• Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    you will love it, I used to take water aerobics in college, and you lose a lot of calories.... :) Hope you like it, its really fun.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    You should be excited--it is an excellent workout, but be sure to give it 110%. You can work as hard or as light as you want, so if you want the maximal workout, go hard. That is why it is a great class to take, all levels of ability can take the class, but you get out of it what you put into it. You can sweat! I have done this class and I LOVED IT (my schedule does not allow for it now as the class times are at the wrong time for me). So easy on the joints as well. Plus, be sure to drink lots of water before and after as you dehydrate easier in the water--who knew, but this is what my instructor always tells us. HAVE FUN!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Yes, they are lots of fun, and you can definitely get your heart rate up. Enjoy!
  • jneane
    jneane Posts: 5
    Water aerobics is killer. I have a very delicate back, but in the water, I can do anything. And, like Melissajojo3 said - You'll burn a TON of calories without really feeling it. Have a great time today! :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    When I lived in Arizona I did water aerobics 3-4 times a week. I loved it. You do get a good workout but you will not notice until you get out of the pool and your legs feel like rubber. :) I was always amazed at how good I felt afterwards. I live in Tennessee not and there is only on place that offers water aerobics. It is an hour drive from here and costs like a $120.00 a month. I only paid $47.00 a month in Arizona and it was close to home. I really miss it.
  • ksuhre
    ksuhre Posts: 23 Member
    Water Aerobics was the first class I took at my gym and I was hooked instantly! I was definitely they youngest one out there but I was getting a really killer workout. Water pushed back just as hard as you push which allows you to get the workout out of it that challenges you but doesn't overwhelm based on your fitness level. Have fun!
  • vannabana
    vannabana Posts: 10
    You will love them, I remember when I first did them my first day I couldn't get out of the pool once gravity set in and had to sit on the steps until I could lift myself out, it was a real I opener for me. I wasn't sure if I would be able to go back and face everyone after that moment but I did and was glad I did. I have since moved from that area and would love to find a place here that does classes around my schedule because I would so go back for more. I love that class and you will to it's an awesome way to get through a workout without all the stress on your joints. Crazy Fun!!!:happy:
  • joeysrib
    Great, thanks for the info and support y'all! I'm kinda nervous too, first class jitters, and I don't want to be stared at, I have a lot of flab between my legs, but that's where I lose first, and even though my ticker says 6 pounds, I lost 30 before joining MFP. Anyway, i'm rambling, better get to the pool. ;-)
  • jetsec
    jetsec Posts: 79
    Have a great time, I might give it a go myself.

Jayne
    xxx
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    I used to teach water aerobics, along with swimming lessons. I was skiiny then! :tongue:

Seriously, it is a great low-impact workout. The best is because of the water, you can make it as hard or as easy as you want. The deeper your body is in the pool., the harder the movements.
  • joeysrib
    OMG! So much fun! If I had known, I would have started a long time ago! I couldn't keep up with the instructor, but did all th exercises. I lasted the whole hour! Now, how do I figure the calories?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    OMG! So much fun! If I had known, I would have started a long time ago! I couldn't keep up with the instructor, but did all th exercises. I lasted the whole hour! Now, how do I figure the calories?

just use aerobics. It'll get you pretty close. Don't use swimming, as you will burn differently in a supine position than you will standing.
This discussion has been closed.