Eating Problem

Options
Hey everyone. I am trying to lose weight, and my exerciseregime is very good. But my eatingprogress is quite a battle, because here is where my weight got gained.

If I eat something I like, maybe a sandwich or a good chicken, I often take twice the portion size (even if I'm full), just because I think the food is so delicious. It's an embarrasing problem, and I am trying hard to quit the habit.

Are there anyone out there who have had the same problem? How can I get rid of it?

Thanks

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Just work on readjusting your portions slowly. Try to avoid eating out and work at preparing your own food for a few weeks. When preparing food for yourself, only make 1 serving and measure it out as you cook. After a bit of concentration on this you will be able to better guage portion sizes of things you did not cook yourself, and better be able to fill your plate with portions that will fill you without over doing it.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    yes, there are lots that have the same problem, I am one of them!!! it is a complete lack of self control. but.....the only one that does work for me is logging my food, and especially if I log before I eat. and really think about the calories that I am putting into my body. but...I am far from perfect, and still struggle with this. especially at social gatherings. so, I will be interested to hear what others have to say about this. I have set some pretty high goals for myself for July 4th. going camping this weekend, and I have to stay strong!!!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Ha thats why a lot of us are here. You know I started measuring everything out and sticking to portion sizes, and I was just saying to my fiance last night (we made spaghetti) that I couldn't imagine how big our portions were before and how it was no wonder we used to slip into food coma's after dinner. Stick with portions for a few weeks and your stomach will shrink a bit then the smaller portions will seem just right.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Take a reasonable portion, or suggested portion size and plop it onto a smaller plate! I use the 8" salad plates often. It makes it LOOK like more food----it looks like a bulging, huge plate of food and I seem to be satisfied with less because my eyes saw that BIG plate of food. I read that some where on here and its really helped. Hope it works for you!

Edited because I apparently can't spell this morning....
  • skizzizme
    skizzizme Posts: 14
    Options
    I too have this problem. My hubby is quite the chef, so the food is always incredible and not always healthy. I have reduced my portions by switching to a salad size plate or cereal bowl instead of a dinner plate. I have to rely on self control to not go for second helpings, and he helps with this part. If I still want more, I make myself leave the table. On occasion I have had to go for a walk until dinner is put away. Keep at it, you are doing great by just admitting you know where the problem occurs!
    7034275.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DeKreyzisfitness
    Options
    I over eat too. The things that help me most are putting leftovers away immediately. Sometimes out of site out of mind can work. Cooking smaller portions can help. One of the more helpful things for me is to make sure that my meal isn't just a bowl of noodles but has variety which consists of mostly cooked vegetables. I've also always been told that drinking an entire glass of water right before eating a meal can help to feel full so that you really just can't eat any more. lol Eating slow is also helpful because it gives your brain time to catch up with your stomach to send the signals that you're full. I'm not perfect either. I still struggle. Some days are better and some days are worse. I think the hardest thing is learning to take it day by day, meal by meal, and bite by bite. Good luck. :) I hope you get lots of information!
  • lolowink
    lolowink Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi! I often have the same problem. I LOVE good food, and it's a joy to eat it. Hence, I overeat. One thing you can do is to be sure you are sitting down for meals at a table. Try not to watch TV or be distracted by other things while you eat. Really dedicate time to your meals and enjoy them. Eat slowly and thoughtfully, and you will appreciate your portion size, and you will probably realize that it's just the right amount. Pay attention to your body and when it feels full. A lot of these ideas and strategies are promoted by Michael Pollan in In Defense of Food and Omnivore's Dilemma. He has a new book out called Food Rules, but I haven't read that. These things have really helped me over the past year. Also, try not to eat alone! Good luck!
  • emmatronna
    Options
    Thanks a lot, guys. Good edvices. I saw a show once, where I was taught that soups keep you fuller for longer, and so do protein (which you find in chicken, egg etc.). Like DeKreyzisfitness said, some days are better than others.

And congrats to those who you who have lost a lot of pounds! Good work.