Hummus, salsa, and guacamole

Options
What do you use these for to keep them as healthy as possible?

I enjoy all 3 of these dips, but am so used to using pita or corn chips only to dip into them... obviously, thats not gonna cut it.

Replies

• LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the dips you listed but this one below is healthy enough and I always have dips with raw carrott and cucumber sticks:-

1 tub Low Fat Cottage Cheese
    1 tub Low Fat Sour Cream
    1 Pot Low Fat Natural Yoghurt
    2 Packets of Onion Sauce Mix

Just mix it all together its really yummy and serve in little bowls so you don't over eat.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I make my own hummus and use it on a whole grain tortilla with veggies to make a wrap for lunch. Salsa works great on a "taco" salad instead of dressing as does the guacamole. Try dipping with veggies - cucumber slices, carrot planks, celery sticks, and I also like to use triscuits because they are whole grain. Make a wrap and use the salsa and guacamole, too.
  • jalc
    jalc Posts: 5
    Options
    If you toast or grill a "sandwich round" (several companies make them at 100 cal each) they are similar to flat bread. Very good with hummus.
  • DieselGrrl
    DieselGrrl Posts: 55
    Options
    I personally LOVE salsa on a baked potato. Not the BEST thing for you, due to the carbs, but on weekends, it sure beats the french fries that I crave. :)
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    carrots are very low calorie dip carriers :)
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i never used to be a hummus person, but i have come to LOVE hummus with carrot and celery sticks...same goes for guac and salsa :) still get the crunch in a healthier way :)
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    Options
    carrots and home baked corn tortilla strips. I always have a sack of corn tortillas around and will bake em up for snacks or especially to dip into homemade hummus. About 130 cal. for 2 whole tortillas (taco size) sliced up and baked. Add a little chili powder or cumin to smoke up the flavor. Yum!
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I like hummus on sliced red peppers.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    vegetables for the hummus, I make guac with one avocado and use 1/4 of it with a serving size of chips and salsa. Then I use the extra guac for a mexican wrap meal.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Joseph's has this pita bread that is like a delicious, soft thick tortilla. It's perfect plain, with dip, or toasted into pita chips.
  • skinnylizzy5
    skinnylizzy5 Posts: 119
    Options
    As others have said, veggies are great dippers. I like bell peppers because they make perfect "scoops." Or, if you're really craving chips I like to cut up small corn tortillas and bake them to make my own chips. Just cut into 8ths, spray with oil, sprinkle some salt, and bake for about 10 minutes or so. Yum!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I dip baby carrots and cucumber slices into my hummus instead of chips or bread
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    All are great ideas! I'm gonna try me some of these :) Thanks!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Aubergine Hummus

This is an awesome combination of Baba Ganoush and Regular Hummus. It is fantastic as a dip, or spread on some brown bread or a wholemeal pitta with spinach and sundried tomatoes.

Aubergine Hummus
    Serves: 8

1 aubergine
    1 garlic clove
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2g cumin
    200g chickpeas, dried
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 chicken/veggie stock cube

Soak the chickpeas in water overnight
    Then cook them in the same water with the stock cube added in for 20 mins.
    Roast the aubergine until the skin is blackened. When it is cooled you can just peel off the skin and the flesh will be mostly mashable.
    Mash the aubergine with the crushed garlic, salt, cumin, lemon juice and olive oil.
    Drain the chick peas but reserve the water.
    Add the chickpeas to the aubergine mixture with a little of the reserved water and blitz with a hand blender. Add a little more water if it is too thick, but not too much.

It makes 8 large (100g) portions, but you could stretch it out further.

123 calories per serving, 3.4g F, 0.4g SF, 19.1 C, 4.1g S, 6.4g Fb, 5.6g P
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I dip pitta into those, and it hasn't affected my losses although I don't really eat guacamole much anymore. I do only eat wholemeal or seeded pittas though to keep the GI content low, and I make my own salsa and, more recently, my own houmous.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! now im curious to mix all the ingredients on your topic and see how they taste together.................. LOL!!!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    If you can find Flatout wraps, they are really good with hummus and low in calories and carbs. Baked Tostitos is what i use with salsa, or soft corn tortillas, warmed slightly in the microwave. Same with guac
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love that as well. I also used to chop up veggies, or steamed them first and add to the potato.
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you can find Flatout wraps, they are really good with hummus and low in calories and carbs. Baked Tostitos is what i use with salsa, or soft corn tortillas, warmed slightly in the microwave. Same with guac

I just bought this for the first time recently andwill be using them soon!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Cucumber batons, carrot sticks or sliced red pepper for me!