How long does a lb of fat take to lose or gain?

Options
Just curious. If I stick to my diet for 6 days and weigh 215 or so and completely gorge myself 1 day when does that day of gorging show on the scale? Does 1 day even make a noticable difference on the scale or would one have to have a few days of mass over eating to see a gain? I'm not planning on making it my routine or anything. Just kind of curious how long the process is that the body turns calories into fat and vice versa. Hope this makes sense.

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    The short answer, it depends. It depends how good you are on those 6 days. It depends how much you gorge on the seventh day. It depends if you're exercising.

I lost 70 lbs in 7 months (280 - 210) just doing 2 spin classes a week and eating 3000+ calories per day. So like I said, it depends.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just curious. If I stick to my diet for 6 days and weigh 215 or so and completely gorge myself 1 day when does that day of gorging show on the scale? Does 1 day even make a noticable difference on the scale or would one have to have a few days of mass over eating to see a gain? I'm not planning on making it my routine or anything. Just kind of curious how long the process is that the body turns calories into fat and vice versa. Hope this makes sense.

How much are eating on a good day? How much are you exercising on a good day? How far over your goal did you go on the gorge day? Did you exercise on the gorge day, and if so, how much? What is your current weight and how much muscle do you have? All of these will influence the answer to your question.
  • bragz
    bragz Posts: 22
    Options
    Im 39, 215 with about a 24% Body fat reading. On a week I might gorge I will go six days normal which is a protein shake for breakfast. I jsut don't like to eat breakfast so started doing this. A Smart ones for lunch. Sometimes a small bowl of popcorn for snack. Healthy dinner like chicken breast with veggies or pasta. String cheese or fruit for snacks between. Cardio about 300 calories with some lifting.

A gorge day would be 5 or 6 lite beers and 3 or 4 slices of meat lovers pan pizza for dinner. Some ice cream and maybe a green chili burrito for lunch. Something like that. I probably do this 2 times a month on average. My diet is going well. Just kinda curious on how much a bad day could be affecting me.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Gorging isn't a good plan. That being said, it takes a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose a pound and a 3,500 calorie increase to gain a pound. So, the question is less about time and more about how many calories you're taking in.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    A better plan might be a cheat meal instead of a cheat day, but in the end it's all up to you in how much and how fast you want to lose the weight.