I hit a fork in the road...and I think I lost an eye!

Options
:laugh: I just thought that sounded funny! There's been a lot going on in my life and I just kinda wanted to blab about something.

It seems my life is constantly changing and the moment I set a plan in place, everything shifts again. My boyfriend and I decided last night that we are going to move to Canada. Not now, not in a couple months, but in a few years. We will move after I finish school and we have the proper finances in order, and we will have a place to live and jobs setup, before we leave. I always knew I didn't want to live in Maryland or West Virginia for the rest of my life and I don't see any other state that looks somewhat appealing. Not to mention the fact that our economy and way of life is basically going down the crapper. Canada just seem to have a much better grip on reality and have their priorities in order. No offense to the US. :laugh:

So that's the plan now...pay off debt, go back and finish school, save money while doing paperwork for the ability to work and live in Canada, house/apartment shop, job search, and move. I'm thinking we should be gone in 3-5 years and I'm excited! The cool thing is, we'll both have the paperwork to be able to live in either country, so it's not like we can't come back at some point. I'm not sure where we'd be headed to, it really all depends on where our jobs take us...Trail? Edmonton? Calgary? Alberta? Who knows. Frankly I don't care. :happy:

I need to get away from my family, too...no offense to them! I just want to feel like I'm actually an adult. That I'm independent, and out on my own. I am now, but it feels like I still have them right next door as a backup, in case things don't work out. I know I don't have to move to Canada for that, and I'm working on it now, but I just feel like we belong there for some reason. It's just one of those gut feelings, and I'm not ignoring this one!

Well I just wanted to share because I've been thinking about this all night, imagining how wonderful it's going to be and I can't wait to make it happen!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I just thought that sounded funny! There's been a lot going on in my life and I just kinda wanted to blab about something.

It seems my life is constantly changing and the moment I set a plan in place, everything shifts again. My boyfriend and I decided last night that we are going to move to Canada. Not now, not in a couple months, but in a few years. We will move after I finish school and we have the proper finances in order, and we will have a place to live and jobs setup, before we leave. I always knew I didn't want to live in Maryland or West Virginia for the rest of my life and I don't see any other state that looks somewhat appealing. Not to mention the fact that our economy and way of life is basically going down the crapper. Canada just seem to have a much better grip on reality and have their priorities in order. No offense to the US. :laugh:

So that's the plan now...pay off debt, go back and finish school, save money while doing paperwork for the ability to work and live in Canada, house/apartment shop, job search, and move. I'm thinking we should be gone in 3-5 years and I'm excited! The cool thing is, we'll both have the paperwork to be able to live in either country, so it's not like we can't come back at some point. I'm not sure where we'd be headed to, it really all depends on where our jobs take us...Trail? Edmonton? Calgary? Alberta? Who knows. Frankly I don't care. :happy:

I need to get away from my family, too...no offense to them! I just want to feel like I'm actually an adult. That I'm independent, and out on my own. I am now, but it feels like I still have them right next door as a backup, in case things don't work out. I know I don't have to move to Canada for that, and I'm working on it now, but I just feel like we belong there for some reason. It's just one of those gut feelings, and I'm not ignoring this one!

Well I just wanted to share because I've been thinking about this all night, imagining how wonderful it's going to be and I can't wait to make it happen!:flowerforyou:
  • neha_duvvuri
    neha_duvvuri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Plans sound good. :smokin: All the best!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Rachel! I hope everything works out great for you!:drinker:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Any advice from the Canadians on here as to where I should look at moving. My boyfriend was born in Edmonton and lived trail for a good amount of time before they moved to the US. I think he said he lived in Calgary for awhile as well but I can't remember. Anyway, any suggestions?
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Come visit me in OTTAWA:flowerforyou: its a great city :)
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    hiccup
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Come visit me in OTTAWA:flowerforyou: its a great city :)

Ottawa is really a great town. Vancouver is my favorite, but I like them all.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    good for you!!! i hope all the planning goes well for you.

i too made the big decision to get away from my family and move from upstate NY to southern SC 1000 miles exactly and we gave ourselves 18 months to get things in order but we just couldnt wait and moved in 5 months, BEST THING ME AND MY HUSBAND EVER DID!!!

i wish you all the best.:flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    WOW! What an adventure! How exciting! :flowerforyou: