Ripe Banana's.......What to do with them?

Options
shellyrulz
shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
Hi all. I have 3 large ripe bananas and am trying to figure out a healthy thing to do with them. Any Suggestions?

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Banana Ice Cream:
    - Take one ripe banana, cut it up into slices and freeze for a few hours.
    - Put the frozen slices in a food processor along with some skim milk (optional) and protein powder (optional) and blend for a few minutes until completely combined and creamy.

Homemade Chocolate Bar:
    - Put 1 banana and 4-8 Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (depending on if you like dark chocolate or not) and put in a food processor. Blend for 2 minutes, scraping the sides.
    - Then place a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Scoop out the banana mixture on top and spread out with your hands a bit. Place another sprayed sheet of wax paper on top of that and use a rolling pin to roll out the banana mixture to your desired thickness.
    - Remove the top layer of wax paper and place the cookie sheet in the freezer. Let it freeze for at least 1 hour or until solid.

You can also use a ripe banana in this healthy chocolate chip blondie recipe on my blog: http://peanut-butter-lover.blogspot.com/2011/05/first-and-hopefully.html

This recipe is also great:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218903-super-low-calorie-banana-no-sugar-added-muffin-recipe

Super Low Calorie Banana (No Sugar Added) Muffin Recipe!

Makes 30 "Mini" Muffins at 19 calories apiece OR 10 "Larger' Muffins at 57 Calories apiece

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1 egg white
    2 ripe bananas
    1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (75 grams)
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp baking powder (I used sodium free)

Directions: Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
    1. Peel and mash the two bananas in a large bowl.
    2. Add in the milk and egg white and combine slightly with a fork.
    3. Using an electric beater/mixer, beat the liquid mixture for 1 to 2 minutes until foamy.
    4. Measure out the flour, baking soda and baking powder in a small bowl. Sift together with a fork.
    5. Fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine until it creates a creamy batter (don't overmix)
    *** The mix might dilapidate a little bit from mixing, but that's okay
    6. Spray mini or regular sized muffins pans.
    7. Measure in a slightly overfilled spoon full of muffin batter into mini muffin pans, or 3 spoonfuls into regular muffin pans (mine are shorter than normal however, so you might want to use 4)
    8. Place the muffin pans in the oven and bake for 10 to 25 minutes or until golden brown (depending on size and oven temperatures). Mine were done in about 15 minutes.
    9. Take the muffins out, let cool and transfer to a baking rack. ENJOY!

Calories per spoonful: 19
    Calories per "mini" muffin: 19
    Calories per "larger" muffin: 57

Nutrition Facts for Entire Recipe:

Total:
    Calories- 560
    Carbohydrates- 123
    Fat- 3
    Protein- 16

Per Serving:
    Calories- 19
    Carbohydrates- 4
    Fat- 0
    Protein- 1

Adapted from: http://www.sugarfreerecipes.co.uk/no-sugar-muffins.html
  • cgillock
    cgillock Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Freeze bananas....add 1/2 banana, 3-4 frozen strawberries, milk, and vanilla extract in blender......taste just like ice cream!!! and only about 150-200 calories!!
  • Flocker1979
    Options
    bump
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Check out the Hungry Girl Fab 5 mini banana pancakes! I can't rem the recipe by heart but I think you can google it. That's how I use my ripe bananas!
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Homemade Chocolate Bar:
    - Put 1 banana and 4-8 Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (depending on if you like dark chocolate or not) and put in a food processor. Blend for 2 minutes, scraping the sides.
    - Then place a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Scoop out the banana mixture on top and spread out with your hands a bit. Place another sprayed sheet of wax paper on top of that and use a rolling pin to roll out the banana mixture to your desired thickness.
    - Remove the top layer of wax paper and place the cookie sheet in the freezer. Let it freeze for at least 1 hour or until solid.

Getting ready to make this. Can't wait to eat them.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    smoothie
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I would slam them down right now. Sure to get your RDA of potassium.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I would make banana nut muffins! Just sub apple sauce for butter or oil in the recipe you use.

I also peel them and freeze them when I can't use them right away. I made muffins from defrosted banana yesterday morning, and they turned out great. They lose their water in a weird brown liquid, but when you mash them....it doesn't matter at all.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    banana bread
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I freeze bananas with the peels on. Then I peel when thawed. Yes, the thawed texture is strange, but using it mashed (in anything really) works great.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Freeze them

Or make banana nut bread (or my fave - banana choc chip muffins!)
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I precut and put in freezer for smoothies
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options

That's a great idea. I am going to start doing that. We usually freeze the old/brown ones and save them for banana bread
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump! Some amazing ideas :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I do this as well! It's a god send in the morning when I'm throwing my smoothie together. I also do this with other fruits and veggies about to go bad, strawberries, spinach leaves etc.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Freeze them and make these orange julius'. They are my FAVORITE! My toddler thinks they are the best treat ever and even my picky husband thinks they are delicious.

Orange Julius:
    Blend together the following:
    1 1/2 C. Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk
    Handful of Ice
    1/2 frozen banana
    1 packet sunrise classic orange crystal light (it doesn't have to be crystal light brand, any generic brand will do as long as it's orange flavored)
    1 scoop Vanilla protein
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com
    ^Look up her banana recipes! :D
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Freeze them for muffins, bread, etc - terrific ideas! If you don't want to eat them, you can bury them under your rosees (if you have them) and the potassium will boost the bloom production. 1 banana per rose, every 2-3 months is best.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Banana bread! Overripe bananas are even better than ripe bananas in baked goods. :)