Anyone from JOPLIN, MO??

JessesGirl05
JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
edited September 28 in Chit-Chat
I have a serious problem with one of the people volunteering up there (who just so happens to be my brother). I need to know if the story he is telling me is true- if not...IDK what to do.

He is handing out items (blankets, clothes, toothbrushes, shampoo, etc) to the victims from the recent tornado. He, and my family are not victims. We were 1 mile away from it when it hit, but there was no damage to any of our belongings (I was up there visiting, i'm back in Oklahoma now though).

Well my mom sent me a message on facebook yesterday bragging about all this free stuff they just got. "Oh thats cool mom. Where'd you get it from? Why was it free?" she replied with "[insert name here-my brother] is bringing it home when he volunteers!"

MOM THAT IS STEALING! YOU ARE NOT A VICTIM AND THOSE THINGS ARE FOR THE VICTIMS!!!!!!

Her defense was that it was their way of paying back to the volunteers.
I personally call bull ****. You VOLUNTEER knowing you do not get paid!

I could maybe see them giving the volunteers the items if Joplin wasn't a disaster area any more, and if every family who was affected by it, was stable again. But I know that isn't true! WHY would they give these things to a volunteer (who again, was not a tornado victim) when there are people out there who TRULY need it! (And no, my mom or brother isn't financially unstable- so that doesn't justify their actions at all! my mothers has stock piles of deodorant, shampoo, body wash, etc. all the things my brother is bringing home)

So my question is- does anyone out there know if my brothers story (that he was told he could have these items) is true? And if not (Which is what I suspect) who do I contact? I don't know what organization my brother is working with.
I sent a message to the Joplin Tornado recovery on facebook and they said I would have to contact the organization he was with.(I didn't go into detail about what my brother was doing- i just said I wanted to discuss one of their volunteers. I didn't want to post all of that business all over their wall, and you can't send them a private message) There's got to be another way though!

Replies

• _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    I am from Ohio, but I do have an acquaintance of mine who is trying to send items to the victims. She was told through the organization that she went through NOT to send clothes or blankets because they have way more than they could ever use. Maybe that is the case? Maybe there is such a surplus that they can send extras home with volunteers? I'm guessing this is the same with your brother and the organization that he volunteers through....
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    ME!!! I live an hour away from joplin and we got a lot of the aftermath. luckily, there were no fatalities in my area and I didn't lose anything. I went and donated a bunch of stuff for them because they have nothing. My heart breaks for everyone who has lost everything.

If anyone out there sees this - I know they are in need of sunscreen/hats stuff like that because they have no protection from the sun now. because all the buildings/tress are gone.

This breaks my heart as I know several people who have lost loved ones/belongings in the worst disaster in decades for missouri.
  • sarah307
    ME!!! I live an hour away from joplin and we got a lot of the aftermath. luckily, there were no fatalities in my area and I didn't lose anything. I went and donated a bunch of stuff for them because they have nothing. My heart breaks for everyone who has lost everything.

If anyone out there sees this - I know they are in need of sunscreen/hats stuff like that because they have no protection from the sun now. because all the buildings/tress are gone.

This breaks my heart as I know several people who have lost loved ones/belongings in the worst disaster in decades for missouri.
  • JessesGirl05
    I am from Ohio, but I do have an acquaintance of mine who is trying to send items to the victims. She was told through the organization that she went through NOT to send clothes or blankets because they have way more than they could ever use. Maybe that is the case? Maybe there is such a surplus that they can send extras home with volunteers? I'm guessing this is the same with your brother and the organization that he volunteers through....
    Ok but what about deodorant, body washes, shampoos, etc. Hes taking those items home as well
  • sarah307
    Ok but what about deodorant, body washes, shampoos, etc. Hes taking those items home as well

okay, no. lol sorry but this breaks my heart. these victims/survivors. have nothing. people have lost their friends/family/homes/everything.. they need anything they can get.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member

okay, no. lol sorry but this breaks my heart. these victims/survivors. have nothing. people have lost their friends/family/homes/everything.. they need anything they can get.

I agree! I live/work about 30 minutes from Joplin and words cannot describe the heartbreak there!!!!! I saw on the news last night some places set up to give victims stuff they needed such as personal items. If one could only grasp the amount of homes lost, the number of families left homeless due to this....one could imagine that these people are going to be needing help like this (personal items, food, etc. ) for a while until they get back up on their feet. (most are still living in homeless shelters-Homes for rent or sale even in my area are filling up fast--there just aren't enough!) I do know that the company I work for went up last week and was serving free food for all volunteers & victims. I also saw on the news last night how volunteers were staying at hotels (because they are coming from all over the nation) and how hotels were doing special things to help those volunteers on rates. So there are things out there trying to help volunteers too. But no, if you could only imagine the AMOUNT of volunteers coming into the area to help--it just doesn't make sense that they'd be giving away personal care items to ALL the volunteers AND victims. But that's just my thoughts.
  • JessesGirl05

I would rather see these items (anything that Joplin has too many off) go to food banks (they hand out more then just food now) or a DHS office! I would rather know it is going to people who truly need it, and not just greedy people!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    I AM from Joplin and I call BS on your brother. There are still a few places taking these items, and even if we have enough right now, those items are quickly consumed and will be needed soon. Shame on him.
  • I AM from Joplin and I call BS on your brother. There are still a few places taking these items, and even if we have enough right now, those items are quickly consumed and will be needed soon. Shame on him.

I HAVE TO AGREE. Shame on him. I am a former Joplian and what your brother is doing is NOT RIGHT. There are thousands of people who need everything from toothbrushes to soap to bath towels to food to new furniture and NEW HOMES. They need every item sent their way. I can promise you that there are still hundreds that have not even gone to get help yet. They have gone out of town to find shelter and when they come back they will need these items since many of them lost their jobs and way of living.

My opinion.
  • JessesGirl05
    I AM from Joplin and I call BS on your brother. There are still a few places taking these items, and even if we have enough right now, those items are quickly consumed and will be needed soon. Shame on him.

I HAVE TO AGREE. Shame on him. I am a former Joplian and what your brother is doing is NOT RIGHT. There are thousands of people who need everything from toothbrushes to soap to bath towels to food to new furniture and NEW HOMES. They need every item sent their way. I can promise you that there are still hundreds that have not even gone to get help yet. They have gone out of town to find shelter and when they come back they will need these items since many of them lost their jobs and way of living.

My opinion.

I'm glad im not the only one who things this is sketchy! I'm still trying to get a hold of anyone who deals with these volunteers so I can report the issue!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member

My opinion.

Yes, I know several people exactly in that situation. So sad.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Ever since I saw your post this morning, I've had the song "Jesse's Girl" stuck in my head! :laugh:

As far as who to contact, the Joplin Tornado Recovery site is correct...you really kind of need to know what organization he's working with. He's not really scamming or looting, so local authorities won't do anything about it since they've got bigger fish to fry. :huh:
  • sarah307

My opinion.

I'm glad im not the only one who things this is sketchy! I'm still trying to get a hold of anyone who deals with these volunteers so I can report the issue!

AGREE
This discussion has been closed.