Minimalist/Barefoot Shoes

Options
I'm curious to hear from yall who are running in minimalist or barefoot simluating shoes, like the Saucony Kinvaras, Nike Frees, NB Minimus, Vibram Fivefingers, etc.

How did you get started with them, and what has your experience been like so far?

Replies

• lisapickering
    Options
    Bump... I'm thinking about getting some... would also like to hear the reviews!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I will be getting two pair at the end of the month. I'll be using them in my next marathon.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Funny I was just thinking about this the other day. I kind of want to try barefoot running shoes or the something like the merrells but I am kind of concerned that they might end up being uncomfortable. I don't want to spend the money on them and then not be able to wear them since I have horrible feet and currently wear arch support as it is when I run. Anyone in that boat who has used them and found that they help? I have heard that they might actually be better than wearing really supportive shoes. I would love to hear from people who have tried them as well!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to hear from yall who are running in minimalist or barefoot simluating shoes, like the Saucony Kinvaras, Nike Frees, NB Minimus, Vibram Fivefingers, etc.

How did you get started with them, and what has your experience been like so far?

I have the Nike Frees and I would not purchase them for running. My husband got them for me as a valentines day gift...and it was not ideal at all. I'll choose my own shoes from now on. I continuosly get blister on my toes from them. I need more support on my pupps. The ones I love the most....my addidas...I've had them forever though
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ok real quick i LITERALLY just bought mine last night.. AND.. i went for a shorter run bc my big toes startin BURNING.. and today my calves and shins hurt.. my calves are like permamantely like charlie horsed they hurt, BUT.. and im sure ppl with disagree,, the guy that was there, he was a insane runner, coach guy..totally knowledgable.. and said theyre actually not meant to be worn to run on like treadmills and roads. theyre meant more for like trails and instances where each step is diff then the previous.. he said its ok to use them mixed in with ur regualr running sneakers bc it will teach u to run correctly. differently watever.. but that they are not meant for like everday/exercise use...which i can totally see ..i def have to alternate.. i couldnt use them all the time, they take some gettin used to! but give them a try, cant hurt!

oh i got the vibram fivefingers just fyi! from eastern mountain sports and u can return them anytime if u keep ur receipt, so give them a whirl!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but from what I have read:
    They take a lot to get used to, start slowly but just walking in the shoes for a few weeks and do everything you can barefoot. Balancing on one foot a few times a day helps too.
    Run only a little at a time, and take your regular shoes with you.
    I bought the book Chi Running that is supposed to help too.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I had been running for months and months completely barefoot on the treadmill. With the weather getting nicer recently, I wanted to do more outdoor running so I went out and bought actual running shoes. I got the Nike Free Runs. These are not really minimalist shoes though. I would say they're :minimalist-like". They have a much thicker sole than a true minimalist shoe and they have a slope from the heel down to the toe whereas a true minimalist shoe would be completely flat. What makes them "minimalist-like" is that the sole is very flexible in all directions. All in all I really like them. They are very comfortable. And I am able to land forefoot on them, which is essentially the whole point of minimalist/barefoot running. My one minor complaint is that they really attract small rocks and gravel in the grooves underneath.

If I was going out today with the intention to buy a minimalist shoe, I would try the Merrell Trail Glove or Merrell True Glove.
  • Shannmarrs
    Shannmarrs Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is all great to know!! I'm in the market for some running shoes and have NO idea what I'm doing LOL
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Shoes are a very individual matter. Some people need the strong support and stability of highly restrictive shoes because of how their feet, knees, and hips are alligned and how they step. Others need only neutral cushion and stability, some can go without. Best answer is to go to a specialized shoe store that has shoe fitting professionals. They will have you walk barefoot on a treadmill and then jog and then run and watch your step pattern, also bring in your most worn shoes so they can see where you wear on your tread. This will help you get the best fit for your body. Some people do fantastic barefoot or minimal shoes but others would end up in the hospital in short order if they did. Find out your own personal needs and find a shoe that fits you rather than the other way around.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I bought the Vibram 5 Fingers from back when they first came out, and love them! I never did any significant runs in them because my running paths are fairly harsh (rocky, loose dirt, etc.), but I'd still spend my day wearing them like regular shoes. You definitely need to ease into the VFFs as your feet have been likely used to being overly supported by traditional shoes. They'll make your feet/ ankles stronger, and help your develop a proper foot strike.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you a whole lot, but my husband got some of the Fila Skeletoes over the weekend.They are normally $55-60, but we found them on sale at Kohl's for $45. These are the "economical" version of the Vibram shoes, and probably wouldn't be used for actual running. He has a couple jacked up (read: tremendously crooked) toes from getting broken over and over again, and likes the way the toes in the shoes help keep the jacked ones out of the way. He just says he really likes them and they are very comfy. Great for people who have bad feet and benefit from wearing shoes indoors when you're standing/cleaning, etc. The soles of the Skeletoes are not as flexible as the Vibrams, and they have four toes instead of five (with the two smallest toes being together).
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you a whole lot, but my husband got some of the Fila Skeletoes over the weekend.They are normally $55-60, but we found them on sale at Kohl's for $45. These are the "economical" version of the Vibram shoes, and probably wouldn't be used for actual running. He has a couple jacked up (read: tremendously crooked) toes from getting broken over and over again, and likes the way the toes in the shoes help keep the jacked ones out of the way. He just says he really likes them and they are very comfy. Great for people who have bad feet and benefit from wearing shoes indoors when you're standing/cleaning, etc. The soles of the Skeletoes are not as flexible as the Vibrams, and they have four toes instead of five (with the two smallest toes being together).

I've been thinking about getting a pair for when I lift as the best method to lift is bare foot. I'll definitely be checking out Kohls.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Here's my experience-

I've always been told by "experts" at specialty running stores that I had flat arches, overpronated, and needed motion control shoes, arch supports, and possibly orthotics. This was echoed by my sports medicine doc and the podiatrist who charged me $300 for custom orthotics.

Nothing helped. Knees hurt... always. I started assuming that running meant knee pain. Always.

Then, I decided... screw it. I get injured all the time. I might as well try some of these minimal shoes, what's the worst that can happen?

I went and got myself some New Balance Minimus, although the sales person told me that was a bad idea. At this point, I really didn't care what they said.

I eased into them. Like, started out with 1 mile a week, and added 10% a week. I made concerted efforts to change my running form- increased my cadence, shortened my stride. At first, calves, achilles were soooo sore.

Now, I'm running almost exclusively in the Minimus Roads. I run five days a week, right now around 25 or 30 miles per week. My recovery times have shortened. I've done a 10 mile long run, with no knee pain. (Knock on wood!)
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    This is truly 'to each their own'. I have read many reviews on these shoes and decided against them. I run on city roads and sidewalks. I know that I need extra support. I did read of several people injurying themselves by not breaking into these shoes and some broken toes. Do your research and try them out to see if they fit your type of running style.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Peaking in for info. I am not a runner but I work out barefoot or with my "toe undies" on. (They literally look like undies for your toes.) If anyone has info on how they work for general working out (cardio/sculpting), let me know!
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Despite what has been said in this thread, you can use these shoes to run on pavement/treadmills/asphalt. The main reason people experience injuries with these shoes is because they try to push too far too fast. You really have to take it slow at first and adapt your body to running in minimalist shoes.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/faq/barefoot_running_faq.htm

Read that page and all the FAQ's for any questions you have.

I've used VFF to run and my shin splints practically disappeared and I was able to run further and faster. I spend practically all of my time barefoot so I was able to acclimate to these faster. I don't run at the moment due to laziness on my part but these shoes were a life saver for my feet. I use them on the elliptical and when I'm doing 30DS now.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I very much enjoy my VFFs, even now that I've had to retire a pair. Once you make the switch I doubt you'll really think of going back to sneakers
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I started running a year ago and hated it. Necessary evil to continue on the weight loss journey. Get the weight off and quit.

Slowly as I got better at it and increasing my speed, I started to like running, but still not a lifelong thing to stay with.

A month ago, I was due to replace my New Balance 1064's (neutral runner). I bought VFF KSO's and have worked up to running better and faster than I did before in the NB's. I just ran 9 miles this AM and had no trouble at all. My feet have had no trouble adjusting, only my calves. I do feel the workout in my quads and hammies on the days that I push up the hills for hill training.

I now LOVE, LOVE, LOVE running and am disappointed on my off days. I at least go for a walk on those days.

If you are a neutral runner(based on videotaping yourself running on a treadmill) and need NO support in your shoes, then these should work for you. SHOULD.

There are plenty of people who run full marathons in VFF's as well as ultra-marathons. But again, these are not for everyone.

Go to vibramfivefingers.com for more info and check out the FAQ.

There are discount places on line for purchase, but first get fitted at a local store. Website has a store locator.
  • ilsie99
    Options
    Shoes are a very individual matter. Some people need the strong support and stability of highly restrictive shoes because of how their feet, knees, and hips are alligned and how they step. Others need only neutral cushion and stability, some can go without. Best answer is to go to a specialized shoe store that has shoe fitting professionals. They will have you walk barefoot on a treadmill and then jog and then run and watch your step pattern, also bring in your most worn shoes so they can see where you wear on your tread. This will help you get the best fit for your body. Some people do fantastic barefoot or minimal shoes but others would end up in the hospital in short order if they did. Find out your own personal needs and find a shoe that fits you rather than the other way around.

This is the party line, but I sort of have a problem with it now. When you think about it, the majority of people who work at a local running store are just sales people when you boil it down. They watch you run a really short amount of time, and they pick something they think would be good for you, but is it really? Only "biomechanically efficient" runners get put in racing flats, or even neutral shoes, but what does that even mean? I've since learned that the reason I was not "biomechanically efficient" was because of the shoes they were putting me in!
  • ilsie99
    Options
    I started running a year ago and hated it. Necessary evil to continue on the weight loss journey. Get the weight off and quit.

Slowly as I got better at it and increasing my speed, I started to like running, but still not a lifelong thing to stay with.

A month ago, I was due to replace my New Balance 1064's (neutral runner). I bought VFF KSO's and have worked up to running better and faster than I did before in the NB's. I just ran 9 miles this AM and had no trouble at all. My feet have had no trouble adjusting, only my calves. I do feel the workout in my quads and hammies on the days that I push up the hills for hill training.

I now LOVE, LOVE, LOVE running and am disappointed on my off days. I at least go for a walk on those days.

If you are a neutral runner(based on videotaping yourself running on a treadmill) and need NO support in your shoes, then these should work for you. SHOULD.

There are plenty of people who run full marathons in VFF's as well as ultra-marathons. But again, these are not for everyone.

Go to vibramfivefingers.com for more info and check out the FAQ.

There are discount places on line for purchase, but first get fitted at a local store. Website has a store locator.

That's awesome. I've been really thinking about getting some Bilikas and doing my recovery runs in them.