sweat to blame for bad complexion?

nikibob
nikibob Posts: 165 Member
I used to have a really good, clear complexion...until I started working out. I assumed that all the sweating was causing all the little bumps (mainly on my forehead and chin) to pop up but also assumed that once my body got used to all the sweating that my complexion would settle down and clear back up. That was back in September 2010 and I still have the bumps. Seems to be worse after sweating, a little better in the winter when it wasn't so hot in the house but always there now that I regularly exercise. Any ideas or solutions? It's getting to be more than a little aggravating.

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    I read somewhere, and can't for the life of me remember where, that it is from the sweat clogging your pores. Best thing to do is wash your face as soon as you're done sweating. I use Cetaphil for my face, and it has really helped my complexion overall.
  • ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    I have the same problem. I was told to use a good moisturizer before working out and exfoliate. I am buying the Clarisonic skin brush thing - have heard great things about it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I use a facial cleansing wipe after a big sweat-fest if I can't hop in the shower right away.

My face is doing well, but I was getting really annoying breakouts on my hips and thighs, and sometimes shoulders. I needed to use a medicated wash on that, and it's clearing up.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Also, work out with a clean face, no make-up. Drinks tons of water. I usually carry around a jar of those face wipes. That way after working out, I can clean my face real quick without it being such a hassle.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    I have the same problem and I just make sure to wash my face/shower within an hour after a work out and it isn't so bad. My trainer also mentioned that as people go through a weight loss their body is doing a pretty extreme detox and acne is pretty common.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    thanks for all the wonderful ideas! i don't workout with makeup on and i usually wipe my face off with a towel afterwards but never actually wash with soap so maybe that's what i've been missing! can't wait to try this and see if a simple face wash after sweating will clear me up--that would be amazing!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    I read somewhere, and can't for the life of me remember where, that it is from the sweat clogging your pores. Best thing to do is wash your face as soon as you're done sweating. I use Cetaphil for my face, and it has really helped my complexion overall.

I LOVE CETAPHIL!!!! It is so funny you say this. Recently, I havent been able to find it ANYWHERE!!! (The foaming kind not the kind that leave the film on your face) On Friday night, 2 Walmarts and 3 grocery stores later, I have 2 jumbo tubs....I was so happy I posted a picture on FB kissing it...LOL It's the only thing that doesn't break my face out....Now I don't have to go to a dermatologist anymore.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member

I LOVE CETAPHIL!!!! It is so funny you say this. Recently, I havent been able to find it ANYWHERE!!! (The foaming kind not the kind that leave the film on your face) On Friday night, 2 Walmarts and 3 grocery stores later, I have 2 jumbo tubs....I was so happy I posted a picture on FB kissing it...LOL It's the only thing that doesn't break my face out....Now I don't have to go to a dermatologist anymore.

LOL I just use the pump stuff for now. My sister suggested it because I have extremely sensitive skin and excema. Its so bad my doctor doesn't want me showering (or at least using ANY soap) more than every other day because my skin was killing itself. My niece uses it for everything, I just use it for my face. I might try the foaming stuff next when I run out of my pump bottle.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    I have the same problem! My forehead especially is all broken out. I may have to try that Cetaphil stuff, I keep hearing good things about it. Proactiv is NOT doing the trick.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    It can be from sweat and the washing immediately after exercise can help. If it doesn't, look at your food intake. Lack of adequate nutrition can cause acne. Basically if you aren't eating enough then it can cause you to not get enough vitamins and minerals absorbed into the body to use for various functions. Up the fruits and veggies to increase the vitamins you might be lacking would be the first thing I'd suggest. Also excessive protein intake can cause acne, but that usually takes a lot of protein and poor kidney function causing problems with sweating urea to get rid of the nitrogen. I would be less likely to believe that is from too much protein intake and more likely to believe it is from too much muscle breakdown causing the nitrogen to need to be excreted. Either way, though, if it is nutritional, it is probably more from lack of vitamins and minerals being absorbed by the body while in a calorie deficit then from too much of anything.
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Try using a mild cleanser and lightweight, noncomedogenic moisturizer as soon as you finish working out and drink more water. While it might sound sort of counterintuitive, dry skin can lead to breakouts because your skin produces more oil to make up for the dryness (and the salt from your sweat can be drying), which tends to lead to clogged pores and breakouts. Even if you have oily skin, use a light moisturizer, and you'll notice a difference after a couple of weeks. Use a good exfoliator once a week or so as well. I like using a clay mask followed by a home microderm treatment (I use Mary Kay), but any mask, scrub, or home microderm will work. (Just don't overdo it-- exfoliating every day will damage your skin.)

It's also a good idea to wash your face before working out (particularly if you're wearing a heavier foundation), though I think this is less important than washing your face afterward. As someone else said, though, your body is going through a pretty serious detox if you are eating healthier than before and losing a lot of weight, so it might take a little while for your body to clear out the toxins. Drink lots and lots of water (more than the standard 8 glasses-- think a gallon a day for a while) to help speed this process along.

You might also need to reconsider which products you use. When I was in high school and college, I had pretty serious acne, and my dermatologist recommended using either Purell or Cetaphil plus a light moisturizer because they were the most gentle products available. It turns out that the "anti-acne" products I had been using with salicylic acid and/or benzoyl peroxide were actually only making things worse because they were drying my skin, which caused more oil production, which led to more clogged pores, which led to more acne. (The doctor also gave me a prescription for a topical antibiotic that I used for a while-- that combination cleared everything really well, so if all else fails, you can talk to a doctor about prescription options. Since then, I've been able to switch to some really good antiaging skincare products to help out with the fine lines that grad school brought on and haven't really had to worry about acne at all-- so please know that you don't have to deal with this for the rest of your life!)
  • morganhccstudent724
    Another thought...before I starting using Cetaphil I used another cleanser that I had been using for maybe 10 years. The dermatologist told me sometimes your skin adjusts to using the same product after such a long period of time and it becomes ineffective. This was a heartbreaker for me because when I find something I love I am LOYAL!!! So now, I switch back and forth from Cetaphil to the old product and it seems to work fine....Maybe you just need something new?!?! Good luck!!!!
  • morganhccstudent724
    Since then, I've been able to switch to some really good antiaging skincare products to help out with the fine lines that grad school brought on and haven't really had to worry about acne at all-- so please know that you don't have to deal with this for the rest of your life!)

What are you using if you dont mind me asking? Everytime I have gone to use something for anti aging, its so thick it breaks my face out terrible. I would like to find something a little more lightweight that can start the prevention process.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    GLA - as Black Current Seed Oil - is a great supplement to add for this and so is Biotin. Sometimes increasing your fitness level can also cause hormonal changes which can cause the increase in break outs as well.
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Sorry for the delay-- I forget to check back after posting (too used to Facebook emailing me replies on message boards!). Right now, I use Mary Kay Timewise, which I love (I actually became a consultant just to get the discount and to avoid getting sales calls), but before that, I used something from Dove or Neutrogena.