Five Finger Running Shoes

Options
Has anyone tried these? What do you think? They look very strange, and don't appear to have any support.

Replies

• cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    They look just a little odd to me - and I agree, I don't think I could do those - need more foot and arch support!
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've not tried them mainly because I can't imagine having anything between my toes. However, I have several co-workers that wear them when working out and said once you get used to them they are amazing and extremely light. Apparently great for runners.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    They are designed for a natural running style, basically barefoot, I have done research and they arent good for overweight people. You have to relearn how to run in them, the guy at the running store I got my new shoes said that you can injure yourself if you dont run in them right and if you want to use them or go with barefoot running to get those as a second pair and use them a couple day a week till you get comfortable running in them/
  • mmiley1111
    mmiley1111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for about 2 months now. I love them. You have build up to running in them. I ran my first ever 5k and had only been using them for about 3 weeks and not everytime. I could hardly walk for about 3 days. They give your calves a great work out. I have ran with them the last 2 times I ran and I am just taking it easy. I ran for 20 minutes in them today and while I am sore, I am not in pain... They do look weird but I say go for it!!
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with them when I tried them on...But can't bear to shell out $100.. ...Waiting for a discount or something.
  • LaDiiBk
    LaDiiBk Posts: 1
    Options
    I have 2 pairs & love them to death..... They are sooooo COMFORTABLE :-)
  • 30in11
    30in11 Posts: 14
    Options
    I ran 5k in them this weekend (twice) and my knees have never felt so good while running. It's all about helping you to learn the proper running form by taking away the rigid sole and making you rely on what your feet are telling you about your stride. It can feel awkward at first, but once your form improves, it is a very free and natural feeling to be running in these.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Although ugly, they do actually have a surprising amount of support! I don't own a pair, but I did check some out at a sporting goods store, and was surprised! They're meant to replicate barefoot running as closely as possible, but they do have a substantial sole; t's just a different shape than that of most other running shoes (which is typically a flat sole). The sole of Five Fingers is contoured to the shape of an actual human foot.

It's a neat idea, but MAN are they ugly! lol I'm still contemplating purchasing a pair, though!
  • ewtx1000
    ewtx1000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I didn't but my girlfriend just got some. They're designed with arch support in addition to a thin sole. I'm not ready to try them myself.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I love them!
    I firmly believe the 'modern shoe' has effectively crippled people slowly, forcing them to need special insoles and such. Mother nature gave you the tools to walk without pain, and traditional shoes only get in the way.

When you buy a pair of VFF you need to ease into them, an hour at a time. Your feet will need time to adjust to using muscles that were otherwise supported by a crutch (modern shoe).
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    They are designed to simulate bare foot running. There are 2 very opposite points of view on the bare foot thing. I have not tried them myself but am very interested. Supposedly you work your calf muscles more with the Vibrams because you are forced to use a more "natural" running form and run on the balls of your feet.
  • travelgirl09
    travelgirl09 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair and I love them for yoga! They give my feet a better grip on my mat. My old regular running shoes were getting stretched out of shape during yoga and bare did not work. I also wear them around the house. They are so comfortable!
  • twitchywombat
    Options
    I recently got a pair and LOVE them. Please, visit this site: http://birthdayshoes.com/what-are-they for loads of information. Jogging always hurt my feet and sometimes my back, and now I know it's because I've been doing it wrong since I "learned" how to run in heavily padded and supported shoes.

So far, I've been wearing the Five Fingers for 2 straight weeks. The first 3 days, my feet and legs were tired but did not hurt at all. I work 8 hours a day on concrete, and I've had no joint, back, or foot pain. I jogged for the first time last night and could not believe how awesome they felt on my feet! Also, you don't want to run on the balls of your feet. You need to take it slowly and learn how to use your entire foot to cushion your landing and push off into the next step. Running just on the balls of your feet can stress fracture those tiny bones, much like running on your heels can lead to all kinds of bone and knee problems. Seriously, check that blog out and see what you think about "toe shoes" and the like.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback!! I do prefer to workout barefoot, so maybe they will help me learn to love running!! :)
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about 6 months. I've been very cautious about overdoing it in them and just ran in for the first time on Friday. It was a great run, but WOW are my calves sore! I definitely recommend checking them out. They are worth the money, in my opinion. I am a runner by nature and haven't been injured (KNOCK ON WOOD!) since I started tweaking my stride to be a more natural one. If you are at all interested in the barefoot running culture, I *highly, highly* recommend reading Born to Run. It is eyeopening. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about vibrams/barefoot running in general! It has forever changed the way I run.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I love mine. You can read what I just posted in the barefoot/minimalist shoe thread.
  • kjb0976
    kjb0976 Posts: 68
    Options
    If you pronate and generally wear stability shoes, be very careful running in these shoes. It takes a little longer to get used to them.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I love(d) mine until I developed plantar fasciitis. Now I'm not going to blame the shoes for this but I never had issues with my heel until I started wearing them.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    99.9% of runners who develop plantar fasciitis wear traditional running shoes, so perhaps it's something else. Perhaps it developed because your calf muscles were brought into play more than with traditional shoes. Just a thought.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    There is zero support and zero cushion so you are forced to use your feet and legs as they are designed. There is just enough protection on the sole to stop your feet from getting cut or burned on hot pavement. There is not enough protection to stop rocks from hurting when you step on them.

I have been running and walking in them all this year and think they are great. The biggest downside is that walking in shoes with heels and substantial soles has become highly uncomfortable.

Like others have said, it takes a while to build up the foot and lower leg strength to be able to run a lot in them without hurting yourself.