Exercise & trying to get pregnant...

Options
Ok...so I'm throwing this out there because I tried researching it online and have been finding conflicting info...I have an appointment with my gyno in 4 weeks but just wanted to see if any of my MFP peeps had any advice :)

I recently found out after a hysteroscopy & laproscopy that I can go ahead and try to conceive! We can have a baby! YAY...so I am beyond excited because I have wanted this for SO long. But I want to maximize my chances of conceiving as much as possible because I am also somewhat scared about how long it may take for me to get pregnant.

I exercise 3-5 times per week doing weight training/circuit training, spin, yoga, plyometric training and I still am working towards hitting my goal weight and getting as healthy as possible. I know that this is a good thing working on improving my health etc...but just want to double check about the exercise and trying to get pregnant thing.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Anything you got would be appreciated! :o) Thank you! :wink:

Replies

• mrsfeuer
    mrsfeuer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's ok to exercise and TTC (try to conceive.) Losing weight and working out is said to improve your chances of getting pregnant.
    Talk to your doctor about working out while pregnant. I know you can, but you 'should' take it easy, and your dietary needs change once you get pregnant as well.

My husband and I are TTC after a loss in November.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I am not a doctor by any means but I would think that as long as that is part of your normal routine it would not effect your chances of conceiving. As long as you are within a healthy BMI not to high or low you would be okay. I would check with your doctor for sure...
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Most OBs will tell you that you can continue your current exercise regime until your body tells you to take it easy. It's not recommended to start doing something new during pregnancy. Good luck!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Exercise will not prevent you from getting pregnant, and if you're exercising currently you can keep doing it through a pregnancy. I discovered from personal experience that losing 10% of my body weight doubled my fertility, and I was 38 when I had my child. Got pregnant right after I lost 20 lbs. Another thing that helped me get pregnant was to relax and stop worrying about it, I think. You can also prop up your hips for 30 minutes or so right after "sexercise".
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Most OBs will tell you that you can continue your current exercise regime until your body tells you to take it easy. It's not recommended to start doing something new during pregnancy. Good luck!

^ this. And, as other posters have stated, losing weight increases your chances of getting pregnant (and having a healthy pregnancy)

Good Luck!

And...if you aren't already, go ahead and start taking pre-natal vitamins! Folic acid is very important early in pregnancy :-)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Yes exercise is ok, in fact being over weight will hurt you chances.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am SOOOOOO excited for you!!! :D:D:D:D:D
    My midwives and fertility docs all agreed: Keep on what you've been doing. And that you'll know when it's time to back off because you won't be able to do it at that intensity any longer. I've had friends who've literally ran a few miles a week their entire pregnancies and who've lifted weights and ridden their bikes...the old belief that we are to back off is very archaic and it is entirely safe and even advisable to workout.
    In fact I was told NOT to back off exercising when TTC #1 as it could alter my hormones again. YIKES!

GOOD LUCK! I can't wait for that message to pop up on my news feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!