freezing banana's

Options
timbotina
timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
Not to be stupid but I read where you can freeze bananas---I know some do it to eat right away as like a dessert, but I mean to use later in a smoothie.....I have tried both in skin and without skin, ..neither seems to work right...am I doing something wrong??

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I freeze them whole, in the skin. Then when I want to use it, I peel it with a paring knife while it's still frozen. I've heard you can peel, slice, and then freeze, but it works better for me this way.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I usually peel mine and put them in a tupperware container in the freezer. When I want to use them (usually in bread but I bet a smoothie would work too) I let them defrost on the counter and then draine the liquid that collects before dumping them in the mixer.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I peel them and slice them before throwing them in a plastic zip loc baggie. I mainly make "ice cream" and smoothies with them, so I usually thrown them straight in the blender or food processor from the baggie without defrosting.
  • shiroosh111
    Options
    I peel them then throw them in a freezer bag. Because I use them in smoothies I do not defrost. I also freeze strawberries and other fruits. You need less ice when you just use them frozen.
  • sahlah
    sahlah Posts: 52
    Options
    I freeze mine all the time. They look horrible if you have them in there very long but they still work and it makes it better then using Ice.
  • ladybugny
    ladybugny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I peel and wrap in foil then eat like a ice pop.

Another GREAT idea, if you are craving banana ice cream, is you freeze the bananas and then let them melt a bit and whip them in the food processor. I usually throw the whipped stuff back in the freezer and eat later. It somehow takes on a creamy texture and feels like ice cream. Sometimes I throw in a tbsp of nutella too to mix it up. SUPER good and only tastes like bananas when it actually melts down otherwise tastes/ feels like ice cream.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options

Another GREAT idea, if you are craving banana ice cream, is you freeze the bananas and then let them melt a bit and whip them in the food processor. I usually throw the whipped stuff back in the freezer and eat later. It somehow takes on a creamy texture and feels like ice cream. Sometimes I throw in a tbsp of nutella too to mix it up. SUPER good and only tastes like bananas when it actually melts down otherwise tastes/ feels like ice cream.

That is AWESOME!!! Make it all the time!
  • katzav
    katzav Posts: 67
    Options

sounds yummy. anything with nutella HAS to be good!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I peel them then throw them in a freezer bag. Because I use them in smoothies I do not defrost. I also freeze strawberries and other fruits. You need less ice when you just use them frozen.

Ditto. I freeze all my fruits to use frozen in my smoothie and use less ice. I freeze them in 1/2's so that I can only use 1/2 as I want it.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i peel, quarter them and throw em in a freezer bag. I then put them in the blender with my protein powder and water and make a protein shake that tastes amazing!!! They end up looking brown and gross but that's ok, they are still perfectly fine to eat!!
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Peel the banana, and freeze it. When its frozen its easy to break up and blend.
  • taz00071
    taz00071 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried freezing grapes? It is a great and healthy snake.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I freeze bananas with unpeeled and when I'm ready for them I peel what I can, cut off both ends and throw in the blender. I have blended an unpeeled banana before out of sheer laziness and it didn't taste any different...