calories in canned fruit........

Options
sbwood888
sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
Are the calories listed on the can JUST for the fruit or is it for the fruit WITH the liquid? :smile:

Replies

• WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Fruit and syrup usually...I never much liked the syrup so I always strained it out.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Either way, your fruit has now been completely filled with all the processed sugars it absorbed from being canned in crap. May as well just buy fresh fruit....it's cheaper anyway.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    The fresh stuff is way better, just saying! I'm sure the calorie count for the can includes the syrup unless otherwise noted.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You can buy fruit in natural juices so I don't know why everyone has just jumped to the conclusion that the original poster is talking about fruit in syrup.

Also some people LIKE fruit which is tinned or in jars, the texture etc is completely different.

sbwood888 yes I am sure it will include everything inside the tin, whatever that may be! :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    You can buy fruit in natural juices so I don't know why everyone has just jumped to the conclusion that the original poster is talking about fruit in syrup.

Also some people LIKE fruit which is tinned or in jars, the texture etc is completely different.

sbwood888 yes I am sure it will include everything inside the tin, whatever that may be! :)

Thanks. You are correct. I do buy it in the natural juices. Maybe I just have the look of someone who buys her fruit in HEAVY SYRUP! :laugh:
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

here here, well done for saying that. too many people on here jump in with the know it all attitude and it puts people off. you can get tinned fruit in syrup AND natural juice. i often have tins in my cupboard for when i run low on fruit just to tide mw over till i can go shopping and theres NOTHING wrong with it. tin should give you the cals with and without the juice hun :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Either way, your fruit has now been completely filled with all the processed sugars it absorbed from being canned in crap. May as well just buy fresh fruit....it's cheaper anyway.

Fresh fruit is cheaper than canned!? Wow - I must be shopping at the wrong stores.

Look for "juice packed" fruit. This is much more prevalent than it used to be.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options

Fresh fruit is cheaper than canned!? Wow - I must be shopping at the wrong stores.

Look for "juice packed" fruit. This is much more prevalent than it used to be.

You guys realize that "juice" even "natural" juice is just the sugar extracted from the fruit, so either way, you're still getting way more sugar than what's good.

And yes, at my grocery store, you can get a can of fruit for a buck, or a pound of fresh apples for a buck....I'd definitely say fresh fruit is cheaper! I wasn't trying to be all "high and mighty" as some are saying, I'm merely pointing out that fresh is ALWAYS better for you in the long run, and I was in no way assuming the original poster was talking about syrup-packed fruit. Unless it's packed in water, it's still not going to be as good for you.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    yep... calories go for everything in the can! but i agree fresh is alway best.. but dang it i love canned fruit medley.. especially the VERY CHERRY! lol but we've actually started buying frozen fruit too.. it lasts longer than fresh and is just as good for you as fresh.. sam's club has a HUGE bag of fruit, i think it has cantelope, grapes, watermelon, honeydew, mangos, and etc in it... it's tasty!
  • JLWinwonderland
    JLWinwonderland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always buy the canned fruit packed in water and sweetened with Splenda-pears, peaches & mandarian oranges.:love: