Over protein calories, but under overall calories?

Options
Hi everyone! Just been at this AGAIN for about three weeks and found this website on Saturday. So far, I love the food diary and how it tracks everything for you. Wow, what an eye opener.

About 3 to 4 years ago, I lost about 50 pounds on South Beach, but due to too many things to get into have gained it all back and now I find myself back over 200 pounds and am so pissed at myself. I have not seen the scale move much over the three weeks I've been at this and I'm wondering even though I've been right at my calorie limit of 1200 calories, I'm going over my protein calories. Being a former SB follower, that is not seen as a bad thing, but now I don't know if that is bad?

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It is not bad at all. The ratio that is set by MFP is on the low end. You should go over in protein & fiber.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Protein first! Then Fiber and water, all keep you fuller longer and help your body burn fat and build lean muscle.

Just watch the calories, don't want to go under 1200 unless under Dr's orders.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I go over in protein calories all the time, well at least I did until I manually changed my protein limits to a higher numer. Protein and fiber are good things for a dieting person. Both make you feel fuller longer....ALWAYS a plus. :smile:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    They both said exactly what I was going to say.

You should actually change your protein and fiber goals higher and aim to break them.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    MFP has protein set at 15% which is pretty low so going over is definitely a good thing! I have mine set at 40%, which seems to work great for me.
  • GARider
    GARider Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks. :happy: I figured it would be best to be over in that area than fats and carbs. :tongue:
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that your protein looks fine. Your protein appears to be calculated at the MFP default level of 15%, which is fine if you are just dieting, but probably low if you are engaging in regular strenuous exercise, and definitely low if you are strength training. You can adjust the goal level for carbs, protein, fat, etc by just going into goals - adjust manually - and just change the percentages. I set mine to 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat. But that is based on my level and type of exercise and my age (folks over 50 need more protein!) Hope this helps.
  • GARider
    Options
    So, I'm a 41 year old Female. Should I search around on the internet to find out what my carb, fat and protein levels should be set at? Right now, I'm just doing moderate walking during the week up to 3 miles and longer walks up to 6 miles on the weekend, with some 4 to 5 mile hikes thrown in to mix it up. I am not doing any strength training; because to be honest I don't like it and don't see the point. I feel like I need to get some of the fat off before I can tone anything up.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Try 40 (protein) /30 (carb) /30 (fat).
  • GARider
    Options
    Thanks Foxxy
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I am not doing any strength training; because to be honest I don't like it and don't see the point. I feel like I need to get some of the fat off before I can tone anything up.

This is one of the biggest mistakes people make. Lift, lift now, and lift heavy. Muscle burns more fat at rest, you'd be strengthening your metabolism, not just your body.
    Are you aiming to be "skinny", or strong, fast, fit, and healthy?
    As the fat falls off, you'll be revealing a fit physique underneath rather than a scrawny saggy physique.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I am not doing any strength training; because to be honest I don't like it and don't see the point. I feel like I need to get some of the fat off before I can tone anything up.

This is one of the biggest mistakes people make. Lift, lift now, and lift heavy. Muscle burns more fat at rest, you'd be strengthening your metabolism, not just your body.
    Are you aiming to be "skinny", or strong, fast, fit, and healthy?
    As the fat falls off, you'll be revealing a fit physique underneath rather than a scrawny saggy physique.

Agree. I just heard a piece on NPR yesterday citing a new study showing that muscle mass is the most important factor in predicting overall health and quality of life in our latter years. And we naturally lose muscle mass as we age so strength training along with proper diet form the foundation of future health. The piece also commented that older folk need more protein than the RDA to help offset the natural loss of muscle. But, one must be doing something to build muscle in order to use that extra protein or it just goes to fat. So everyone, all ages and both genders, need to strength train regularly and bump up protein to take advantage of the effort.