I just want my bf to be healthy...

Options
So I really want my bf to be healthy and he's expressed that he wants to be too. Whenever we make meals together we always make sure it's good food like whole grains, lot's of veggies, etc. The problem is that we rarely get to do that anymore and when I'm not with him, he doesn't eat that great. A lot of times he eats fast food, mostly because it's quick and he doesn't have much time in between his two jobs to stop and eat something healthier. In an effort to help him, I looked up some healthier options from fast food places so if he does have to stop he can get those and cut down on the sodium and calories but he doesn't always do that.

He's also expressed that he wants to work out but hasn't gotten around to actually joining a gym. I told him I would split the cost with him gladly but it's been 7 months now and he hasn't done anything. I've tried giving him his space cuz I know you can't force someone to exercise and be healthy unless they really do want it for themselves, but I've also tried to motivate him and use exercise as a bonding experience, like going for walks in the park together. He keeps saying he wants to but he keeps finding an excuse not to do anything about it.

I know that women and men think about nutrition and exercise differently, in our case it's especially true since I dance and it's a huge part of my life. I recognize that and I don't care that he's not all buff or whatever, I just want him to be healthy and happy cuz I know how good it makes me feel when I'm eating right and exercising and I want him to feel that same happiness.

Sorry this is a long post but I wanted to know if there was anything I can do to help him get started without nagging him? Or do I really just have to wait for him to be ready to do it for himself, no matter how long it takes? I need some perspective on this so any advice would be a big help. Thanks so much!

Replies

• kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Sometimes people just need a little encouragement, even if they have the best of intentions. My husband finds it easier to be healthy when I exercise with him. We plan fun dates of hiking, biking, or just plain taking a walk in the evening. Since your boyfriend works so often, maybe this would be a good way for you to catch up with him. Have you considered joining the gym with him and going together?
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I think it is a mindset thing. He has to want to make the changes, or no amount of talking will convince him to do so.