Need help really bad.

Options
I am a ER nurse that works night shift usually 7p-7a 4 days a week and surprisingly I do really good on the days I work. I count my calories out and get up before work and do at least an hour on the treadmill but on the days I don't have work (and that is usually the weekends and my husband is off too) I really can't seem to keep it together. I don't feel like getting on the treadmill or watching what I eat. I feel really good about how I am doing on my work days and feel like I am making progress but feel like I undo everything on the weekends that I have worked so hard for. My husband says it is because I am so tired from work and not sleeping much during the week. I am just lost and need some help. I really need to get some weight off before we go to the beach. Any suggestions on how to keep motivated on my off days? I pass up so much food while I am working and don't understand while I can't put it down at home.

Replies

• WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    I wish I had an easy answer for you, but I'm the exact same way. And I keep reading bulletins about others having the same issue. It's all about routine. If you can slowly get yourself into a weekend routine, eventually it will follow your work week routine. That's what I'm trying to work on myself. Keep your head up and just try, try, try!!!
  • CBKMom
    CBKMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For me it is giving myself permission to relax. It is my days off so I should be able to kick back and relax. This thinking has gotten the best of me for some time. Once I decided that I was way better off planning my meals ahead of time and doing some prep work on them as well, then I was way more successful in my eating habits.

- Decide that you are not too tired to be chasing your goals.
    -Make time for you! That means eating right to get where you want to be.
    -Make food less of a priority and your life your focus.

Give a couple weekends a try and see the results and you will be hooked!

Good luck!
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    try getting outside with your hubbie...I know that when I'm with my hubbie and kidson the weekend i tend to be the same way, so I try to do stuff that keeps us moving...local flea market...farmers market even the mall and just move...plan your weekend meals...or even if on one of the days you give your self the freedom to take off on day a week. Hope that helps!! Friend me
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For me I do best when my weekend "schedule" is the same as through the week, I don't "sleep in" just because it's the weekend, I always have a hard time getting up at normal time on Monday if I sleep in over the weekend, if I want extra sleep I go to bed an hour earlier, that extra hour before midnight seems to be better for me than an extra 3 or 4 hours after midnight.

That said I still haven't figured out a gym schedule around my job schedule, and besides gardening I'm not doing much at home, but work is highly active so I'm still way more active than I was when I started.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I work 12hr swing shifts and I've noticed it's harder for me when I'm off, too. I don't have as much of a routine on off days, and when I'm drifting aimlessly, I end up at the fridge! I think I want to reward myself for working hard by indulging on days off. I try to remember how easy it is to derail all my hard work with just one or two lax days.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the only one that can really make a difference in your mindset is yourself. If you are convinced that this is what you want to do, you will do it.

You definitely have some extra problems by working night shift. I have spoken to a number of people over the years who work nights and they have all complained that it messes them up one way or another. That being said, you obviously have been able to overcome some of those problems. Good for you!

You just need the resolve to not consider your days off from work as days off from this lifestyle change. You need to work hard to lose weight and I don't mean in the gym, although that helps. You need to keep track of your food all the time.

Remember, this is for life, not just until you lose some weight. Maintenance is something that requires as much devotion as losing weight.
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    It took me forever to figure out a way to work through this. I started weighing in on Sunday instead of Saturday that way I'd stop myself if I got tempted on Saturday. On Sunday instead of giving myself a "free" day I give myself a "free" meal and log everything else. It took 5 months to make it work for me. You'll find something that works for you :happy:
  • katy4193
    katy4193 Posts: 44
    Options
    I would encourage you to add more friends and perhaps log on more..I find that knowing what others are doing, motivates me. I did not want to work out the other day but then noticed that everyone else was working out that day and then went ahead to the gym and was glad I did....Feel free to add me if you need more support!! :)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to keep motivated on my off days? I pass up so much food while I am working and don't understand while I can't put it down at home.

This could be a major part of the problem. If you are skipping meals during the week at work, by the time you're off on the weekend you may be feeling like you should reward yourself for passing up so much food. Firstly, skipping meals during work might sound like the right thing to do but you're slowing your metabolism by doing so. Secondly, and this is from experience, when I don't eat during work, I usually eat way more than I need in the evenings or on the weekends. I think you need to establish a routine with your eating on a daily basis. It should be easy to transition to weekend if you eat regularly during the week. I understand the difficulty in working nights then trying to function on days during the weekend. I wish you luck and maybe something in the forum will click for you. Just my 2cents.
    Paul
  • mandrigo99
    mandrigo99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Were I work nights I switch myself back to a day schedule so I can do stuff with my kids and husband on the weekends. So I can't keep my same schedule. Maybe that is were my problem is when I work I set myself certain times to eat and sleep and excercise but on the weekends I end up backwards.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I edited my post before you posted. I think you are right and the trouble is in your transition. Do you eat during the day while working nights? I think shift work sucks for people with families. I really feel for you.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    get the bad foods out of your house. the better choices you have in your home the better you can make.
  • ReadySara
    ReadySara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I can't really give you good advice because I sometimes do that too, butttttt it starts off with you, you are the one who controls what you eat/do, I try to keep myself busy but when I need a lazy day, that's when I fall off :(. Girl if you or anyone have any ideas let me know, don't hold out on us....lol
    Don't worrie girl, everyone does that, because I know I do....lol
  • alraybuc
    alraybuc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been following the Special K diet, just to jumpstart me into getting into a routine. I get bored easily and I will cheat if I am not on a set schedule. I had the same problem on weekends. My fiance would be home on the weekends and although he doesn't even too awful, he still eats often and sometimes things that I really want to eat too! And so I do, promising myself that I would work it off the next week. The Special K diet is only two weeks which is nice, bc it is shortterm. And the recipes are delicious! Try a few on the weekends. I am sure your husband will not be disappointed. They are easy and all I have tasted so far are great! (pomegranate pork chops for sure!). Good luck and friend me if you want support. My friends and I encourage each other when we work out or lose any weight at all. You are welcome. :smile:
  • mandrigo99
    mandrigo99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No I don't eat during the day when I work nights. I even went and bought one of those smart phone things so i could log in from my phone but it doesn't sync what I have put in on my computer before I leave for work. I haven't figured out how to fix that yet. ( I am not really electronically smart). I am going to try and do better this weekend though my sister's baby shower is Saturday and my little girl's birthday party is Sunday. So this weekend will be a real test of will power. Since January I have lost a total of 29.5 lbs It just seems like I have been losing and gaining the same 5 lbs for the last month.