Any older women out there??

Options
I am 57 years old and new to this. Losing weight as an older woman is quite different than when I was young!! Things moved around on my body and they won't go back to where they belong as easily! Anyone else notice this and what can we do differently?? I don't want to be 30 again, but seriously, 45 would be nice!

Replies

• mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am 59 and yes, losing weight is different now. That being said, I have been successful using this site to log food and exercise. Please send a friend request. My food diary is open:glasses:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Same here, I am 60 and love this site. Send a friend request.
  • karalli
    karalli Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm with you there! I'm 55 and would love to have my 30 year old body back! It's like the metabolism stopped 8-( But I also had a hysterectomy 10+ years ago and ever since...it's been a losing battle. I work out almost everyday, but I like my sweets too much.
    Bottom line is...we have to behave and eat real food (no processed stuff) and get out of the house/work and move!
  • Grammykate
    Options
    I don't like to think of myself as an "older" woman, but at 55 years young I guess you can say that! Yes, it's not easy losing weight at this age, but I love that I can log my food in daily as it helps me think about what I am eating or not to eat! And yes, like you a 45 year old body would be good! :)
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    50 year old guy here and it's not any easier for me to lose weight than for 50+ women. The hardest part is the mindset. After going so many years without having to watch what I eat, it's all caught up with me in the last 5 years. Now, this old dog has to learn some new tricks.
  • determined3138
    Options
    My grandma always used to say, "You'll never look as good as you do right now" so I guess learning to appreciate TODAY, no matter the weight or age, is paramount.
  • caljorob
    caljorob Posts: 2
    Options
    I will be 57 next month and I too would love to look like my Daughter who is 30 year old today. I have lost 11 pounds but have not been able to loose any more this last week. I will not give up until I reach my goal . I think it will just take us a little longer than other to loose but we CAN do it!
  • MEMA5
    MEMA5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :smile: HEY I'M 62 AND HAVE BEEN USUING THE SITE FOR MORE THAN 1 YEAR IT'S GREAT, IF U NEED A FRIEND I'M HERE..GOOD LUCK ISSY:laugh:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and always thought it would be easy to lose the weight I gained from my busy life, but I forgot about the impact of age. But I am doing it. I am taking my time and doing it the way that is right for me. I started with upping the exercise but it took MFP and logging food and exercise to really help me turn things around. I have friends of all age but agree we have our own issues so I would love it if you friend me for mutual support.
  • Diana35bha
    Diana35bha Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 this year and losing weight is not easy. I've got more bits than I want or need, perhaps I can give some away!!! LOL :laugh:

Anyway, I'll send a freind request in case you're interested in joining me in our campaign to try to stop so many bits heading south.... :sad:

:flowerforyou:
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have been fortunate enough - with the help of this site - to lose 40 lbs over the last year. I thought that because of my age, I would never be able to lose weight. But, I did it!! And, you can too!!! Sure, we have to work harder at working out, but it's so worth it when you can finally feel good about yourself! I've been at my goal weight since about September 2010, so I'm proof that we older women (and men!) can do this!!!
  • catherinenappier
    Options
    Hi, I am catherine, I am 68 years old and trying to get ahold of my weight problem. 10 years age I had a kidney removed and have been gaining weight ever since. Have had to move, as husband retired, loss a daughter to cancer and really have very little interest in anything. Trying very hard to turn this around.
  • praimondi
    praimondi Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 49 and am looking to reach my goal weight by the time I hit 50. I've been using menopause as my excuse - until I was told you can only use that excuse for so long. My belly is big and round - like back in my pregnant days - and it won't budge!!
  • LoisHoffmann
    LoisHoffmann Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am so encouraged by using the My Fitness Pal website to track my food intake. I'm 63 and thought I'd never get a pound off at this age. I have dropped 43 lbs. since last November. I am feeling wonderful and know I'll keep on using this website to help. Add me as a friend! and keep on keeping on!!!!
  • sheBB
    sheBB Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Hi & welcome. Now that you mention it I am an "older woman" there I said it. I am 50 & it is harder for me to lose weight than it ever was. I still feel like I can run anywhere for long periods of time as I used to or work out for an hour then take a step class , but the body just won't let me, I'm huffing & puffing just thinking about it now. But I am getting to where I can workout for an hour, then take step class another day. You will love this site, it's fantastic. Sending you a friend request.
  • dellr
    dellr Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm 51 and have never been on a diet. I've managed to set a goal that I can manage at a rate of 1.5 pounds per week. I used to be very active, but after injuries, surgeries and what not, I'm not anywhere near as fit as I once was. I like this program because I worked on training my brain first, and am now cranking up on the exercise. I've lost 10 pounds in a month + so I think I'm doing just fine. You will, too.
  • sheBB
    sheBB Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    To determined3138 I love your Grandma's saying "You'll never look as good as you do right now" smart lady, so true.:smile:
  • trishhunter
    Options
    I started dieting seriously in August 2010. My weight was 234 lbs and I'm 5'4" tall and tomorrow I will be 53 years young! I've managed to lose 63 lbs since then with walking and watching my carbs. I've gone from a size 24W (wide, LOL) to a 10 -12 regular. I need to lose 26 lbs more to make my goal. I am currently going to ZUMBA three times a week and I love it. I noticed in the last week or so that my upper torso doesn't look so flabby and my cellulite on my big butt is less. I think the key for me now is just "stay the course" and keep plugging away. I really love the MFP it helps before I got my iphone I was keeping a journal with the same basic information and that seems to help when you see how much and what you've eating during the day. I would love to have some friends on here to keep up with so if anyone is interested please friend me! :flowerforyou:
  • trishhunter
    Options
    You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Started using MFP seriously after my 55th birthday... I guess I am an older woman, just don't feel like one on the inside and I'm starting to not feel that way on the outside. Send a friend request if you want :)