drinking water is drying me out!

Options
Does anybody else have this problem? It seems like the more water I drink the dryer my skin gets. Its driving me crazy! Is there some science behind this or am I just weird?

Replies

• abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I always thought it makes the skin more hydrated :S
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    HOW IN THE HECK DOES THAT HAPPEN?
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking tap water? Do you have a water softener?
  • LaurieBLouise
    LaurieBLouise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hmm, maybe you are drinking water to hydrate yourself, and as a result you're more conscious of you body's moisture? i can't see how drinking water more would dry you out. i do know air conditioning is really bad for dry skin, are you in AC all day?
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    it might be a change in weather. drinking more water makes your skin more elastic and hudrated.
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    guess that answers it lol I'm weird! I don't know why but ever since I quit drinking soda and switched over to only water a couple weeks ago my skin has been getting dryer and dryer!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    it might be a reaction.. i mean, not directly but when i started drinking more water i did suddenly become really really thirsty all the time, even though i was drinking more than ever. it's probably just temporary.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It's probably other culprits that are making your skin dry... hot weather and sun always dries me out :|
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It's probably other culprits that are making your skin dry... hot weather and sun always dries me out :|
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water and cut out fizzy drinks. My skin isn't too bad but I do suffere from 'dry eyes' particularly in the mornings.

Not sure if this is similar to your problem or not - but at least you know you're not the only one!! :blushing:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    If your diet changes are recent it could be a backlash to the lower fat consumed...mine went the same way, get a water spritzer and spritz your face regularly, also use a face friendly oil on your face after a shower/bath, it locks the moisture in
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Here's what happened to me. I never drank enough water. I began trying to drink, then going up to at least the 8 cups a day. I started peeing like a race horse and for a few months I was thirstier and thirstier. Meanwhile peeing it all right back out. My body finally allowed water in to go out, instead of hoarding it for the drought. I was less puffy, and it helped me lose weight, too. I sweat more and quicker! I don't have dry eyes that I needed eye drops for. I don't survive on chap stick to be able to move my dried up lips. Yes it hydrates you, but the 8 cups is a minimum. Yes you will be thirsty and know when you are thirsty more, because your body isn't saving it up like a camel anymore. You lost your hump! So drink more!
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? If you drink too much, you could be flushing out vitamins/minerals that your body needs, making your skin dry. Yes, there is such a thing as too much water! hehe
  • hello_kitty3
    Options
    Well I do live in FL and its been really hot and I spend most of my day inside enjoying the A/C so that must be it! Thanks everyone! I didn't think A/C was that bad for me lol oh well I'll get some more lotion there's no way to survive the summer without it!
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Must be something else, water does not hydrate nor dehydrate skin.
    I know some people think it hydrates skin but it does not, I saw it on DR Ozz.

This is 100 percent correct. The only way you can hydrate your skin is externally and temporarily. Water may improve your general health which is sometimes reflected in your skin, drinking water won't hydrate your skin. Nor does it "flush toxins" of sore muscles (another water myth).
  • hello_kitty3
    Options
    I drink a combination of bottled water and water from my filter at home. I would say I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, but many days I drink a little more. I have noticed that I am thirsty almost all the time now and my bladder must really hate me! lol my husband is always hounding me to take my vitamins but I hate taking them because they give me a headache but if I'm flushing everything out then I guess I need to listen to him!
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I used to be a terrible water drinker. awful. I'd go all day and realize that all I'd had to drink was 2 cups of coffee and a glass of wine.
    You might have been drinking more liquid than me, but soda is not the same as water, as you know, and the caffiene in soda dries you out.

When I first started drinking more water, I actually felt thirstier/dryer. It was like my body was in shock from this influx of water.. it was so used to being bone dry that I think it pumped out more diuretic hormones "get rid of this water! where's it all coming from?! aaaah, too much water!" I was messing with what my body was used to.

this lasted a week or two? Now my body seems to have accepted that this is my new level of hydration. Now I only get really thirsty if I dont drink my 8-10 glasses of water a day..instead of feeling thirsty when i DO drink.

I say give it a few more weeks. make sure you're getting some good omega fats in your diet or supplementing as well. good luck!