Vegetarianism & Protein

Options
Because I'm working my way into becoming a full vegetarian (I don't eat red meat right now, but going meatless in a few weeks) I realize I'm going to need to replace the protein I'm losing from meat. What are some good low-calorie sources?

Replies

• Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Try eating the meat that your body was intended to consume and see if that helps the protein issue.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, edamame, nuts, seeds, TVP, protein powder in shakes, eggs, egg whites, soy milk, milk products (Greek yogurt has 3X the protein of regular yogurt)

Some grains of higher protein as well, Brown vs white, quinoa is also a good source
  • 03hens
    03hens Posts: 1
    Options
    There are several veggie products that contain protein. Morning Star and Boca are 2 of my favorites. Nuts are also a good source of protein. I drink almond milk. These items are not only a good source of protein, but are also low in calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There are several veggie products that contain protein. Morning Star and Boca are 2 of my favorites. Nuts are also a good source of protein. I drink almond milk. These items are not only a good source of protein, but are also low in calories.
    Almond milk does not have any protein, but is a good base for a protein shake.
  • Chrissle
    Chrissle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Tofurkey (delicious), Cottage Cheese....it is easy. :)
  • Chrissle
    Chrissle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Tofurkey (delicious), Cottage Cheese....it is easy. :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Quinoa!
  • LOLmerrill
    LOLmerrill Posts: 43
    Options
    Try eating the meat that your body was intended to consume and see if that helps the protein issue.

You're a big help.
  • LOLmerrill
    LOLmerrill Posts: 43
    Options
    Do you want solid foods or protein shake type substitutes? Vega health optimizer is a miracle mix.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Because I'm working my way into becoming a full vegetarian (I don't eat red meat right now, but going meatless in a few weeks) I realize I'm going to need to replace the protein I'm losing from meat. What are some good low-calorie sources?

lentils (all beans fr that matter)
    quinoa
    spinach
    eggs if you choose to eat them
    cheese, just be careful of those that contain animal rennet

I'm ovo-vegetarian, my diary is public & I am on a fixed income. Feel free to peek.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Morning Star and Boca are good but are as processed as any other food in a box. I would recommend only eating them in small, limited amounts. You can easily make your own veggie burgers with beans, veg and rice or oats to bind.

Almond milk contain a very small amount of protein, but is good when used as the base for a protein shake. I use Vegan Biochem protein powder.