suggestions for less pressure on my hands

Options
ok so i'm gonna be blunt with you all. I hate working out. I do it because I need to do it but I will use any excuse to not do it. Because i'm tired of sabotaging myself, i'm askin for help.

I've found within the last few weeks that my hands and wrists are hurting quite a bit from work and my crafts. I've since stopped all crafting (which breaks my damned heart!!!) and upon advice from a great friend i've started icing and doing hand stretches as well as looking into those stress balls for my hands.

ok down to the question...

Right now i'm doing a combo of cardio and strength. Treadmill, arms legs, recumbent bike. But now my wrists cannot handle the strength training. :(

I WILL USE THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO STOP!!! :(

so can anyone suggest exercises i can do with less pressure for my wrists and hands???

Thanks!

Replies

• swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    You should try working on exercises that will strengthen your wrist and hands. Once they improve, you shouldn't have that problem anymore.

IMHO
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    you can always brace your wrists. I find it actually helps me.
  • roplo
    roplo Posts: 1
    Options
    Try getting push up bars. I have a similar problem when doing push ups and planks. I found the push up bars help to keep your wrists straighter and more in line so there is less pressure on them. Try doing less weight and more reps too when using free weights and machines.

If all else fails...wrist guards or gloves to keep them steady and wrapped during your work out.

Hope it helps!!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I used to have sore wrists when I worked as a cake decorator, just from overuse. I found using a compression bandage helped.

And I think part of the 'secret' to getting lots of exercise is finding stuff you actually enjoy doing.

Good luck!
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    In addition to exercises that will help your wrists and forearms, use hooks and straps. You can find at many bodybuilding sites and gyms. They are designed for this purpose...to offer support and prevent hand/wrist fatigue.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you do any exercises in the plank position, do it on your forearms instead of your hands. You could also try wrist weights so that you can reduce the weight of any hand weights you are using. Perhaps try a pilates class. The instructors are trained to help you with any injuries and can advise you of alternative exercises that will actually help your hands and wrists. Resistance bands can also be quite helpful if used in the right way (a pilates instructor would be able to advise on that too if they are any good).

Of course swimming is a great all-round toner and is excellent for strengthening the whole body without putting any pressure on any part. Also perhaps aqua-aerobics if you are able to get to a class.

I hope you get some more answers and your hands and wrists are better soon.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    you people are amazing. thank you so much! all suggestions are welcome and i'm gonna be doing a lot of googling tonight and the suggestions so far :)
  • atrivedi
    atrivedi Posts: 4
    Options
    I am a Dentist and I have that problem too. Wraps and gloves help. Ibuprofen also. I read all of the posts and I think it was all really good advice that has worked for me.