Body Bug

Options
Anyone have any thoughts on the Body Bug? My doctor recommended I get one, but I already track calories on here and exercise calories with a HRM. Is it worth it?

Replies

• kim824
    kim824 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Mine should be here Thursday. I'll let you know.
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg as well. I love it. You know exactly what you are burning all day long and while you are sleep if you leave it on. It is meant to be worn all day and the Hrm is not. I would recommend it as well.
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    **I don't own a BodyBugg** I love them! My issue, and why I haven't purchased one yet, is that they are fairly expensive (but that's okay it's an investment right?) but they also don't have a display unit (unless you purchase that separately) so unless you buy it you have no idea where you are for the day so until you find a rhythm you really have no idea how many calories you need to consume to create the deficit. Also, it requires a monthly membership to their website in order to track it all...I wish it was more simple...I am getting the Polar FT7 HRM and think that'll be just fine (though it can't be worn all day).
  • willimh
    Options
    2 things with the bodybugg. As I said, I have one and I have the display which you can use as a regular watch as well. If you don't want to invest you can go this route. It's for you so don't let anyone persuade you away from what you need to do for you. We spend money on things we want so why not invest in something that will be beneficial.

# 1- Pay your subscription every six months so you don't have to worry about it.

# 2- You don't have to have the display, you can upload every afternoon or evening to see what you've done already for the day so you will know if you have to do more to reach you goal that day.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    So , tell us the reasons why it's more beneficial.

So my understanding. The extra benefit is you can find out how many calories burned when your wearing it all day and/or sleeping.
    Is it worth all the extra money to buy one device, then have to buy another device and then have to pay for monthly subscriptions?

Did the bodybug tell you something totally different than what an HRM or MFP's calorie count when figuring out your calories burned all day?
  • willimh
    Options
    The benefit for me is, it's design to wear all day and nite, it counts my steps as well. I have never owned a hrm but, I've heard you can't wear them all day. You only wear it when you workout. I personally like knowing how im doing all day with my calorie burn. MFP estimate of cals burned are way to low.

It really depends on what you like.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    So , tell us the reasons why it's more beneficial.

So my understanding. The extra benefit is you can find out how many calories burned when your wearing it all day and/or sleeping.
    Is it worth all the extra money to buy one device, then have to buy another device and then have to pay for monthly subscriptions?

Did the bodybug tell you something totally different than what an HRM or MFP's calorie count when figuring out your calories burned all day?

Reason One: Moment by moment feedback. Helps me up my intensity on body weight training opportunities while lowering stress/cortisol from unplanned cardio. Most of my calories burned are lifestyle related rather than training. Knowing that sprinting will burn more calories for my restful hours afterward when compared with walking the same distance means they my time grocery shopping becomes more productive than 'gym time'.

Reason Two: Results - MFP 'exercise calories expended' is not accurate enough for me to shed even one lb per month. I come here for the community. I also track, focusing on getting enough Fat and curbing Carb intake here using my Droid Incredible. Laptop being broken led to not tracking led to plateau. When I can, I intend to upgrade to the new BodyBugg which will not require a computer but connects directly via WiFi to Android OS phones, so no extra display to buy. Less devices equal happier me. Incidentally, I hate the BodyBugg tracking, so I don't track there. I still have to pay the monthly fee which is annoying. I am hoping their competitors will give us more options.

In conclusion, buy one that works with your phone, way more lbs burned per month when used correctly than HRM for me. YMMV