Is it a bad idea to do a weigh in while on your period?

Options
Hi guys! I don't know about everyone else, but I get so bloated when I am on my period!!!! It looks like I have gained 10 lbs! And sometimes, I do! It does go away after my period, but it is really discouraging when I weigh in that week. Any suggestions on beating the bloat or when I should weigh? Thanks GUYS!!!!

Replies

• amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I weigh myself during my period, but just kind of ignore it knowing that I'll "lose weight" when it's over. I just don't record my weight the week I'm on my period.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself, but I never log it. I figure the number isn't accurate if I'm bloated, retaining water and such. I like to know what kind of weight I've gained during my period, but I don't count it against me (since I always lose it without a short time after ward). :)
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I just go with the flow (bad pun) and drink extra water to try and deal with the bloat. Honestly...it's a real bite in the butt - and I am trying to resign myself to the fact that my body goes through changes every month and there isn't much I can do about it but hang on for the ride. Afterwards any extra "bloat" weight usually goes away plus some so I guess it all works out in the end. And for the record - whatever idiot came up with the Have a Happy Period thing really needs to be shot!!

Hang in there hon!! :flowerforyou:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky because I have not once gained during that time. Though afterwards I lose a larger amount than average, so something is going on for sure.

Personally I weigh myself every day, and post my weight here every Sunday. Be it a 'special' week or not, I'm putting that number in. Whether the number is bigger or smaller, I put that number in here! I want to look back and see my trends and what I ate during that time that might influence a gain/loss. So I try to stay consistent.

I will admit, sometimes I put in my weight more than once a week if I see a large drop!! :)
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself, too, during my period. I figure that if I stay true to my plan, then the gains are just interesting to keep track of. It amazes me that my body can gain 10 pounds during that week or so and then a couple days later it's gone plus at least another pound. Weird.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Don't weigh in the week before or week of. I have had as much as 6 lbs extra weight bc of menstruation. And then right after, it and more weight was gone.
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    I weigh during mine and keep track, my weight fluctuates so darn much from week to week I like to have an idea of when and why
  • ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    Drink lemon water. Its a natural cleanser and will help rid the bloating (it helps in getting rid of excess salt/sodium that attributes to bloating).
  • naivesuper
    Options
    I read a lot about people bloating and gaining lbs during their period, but I find I'm bloated and uncomfortable the week before and I lose it during. I've only experienced this since I turned 30 too, it didn't happen at all before.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    I usually cannot weigh in the week before because that is when I will not see a change or an increase of up to 2lbs. After my period am usually down a pound or 2. I think it depends on everyone.
    Also, I think it is really up to you if you want to weighin our not. If the scales number will bother you if it goes up, then wait until after.
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I weigh and log every week without fail .... I think its important to understand how your body works and if you're aware you gain 2lbs / 4lbs / 10lbs during your period then you can just account for it and move on!!
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take Midol.... it helps from water retention and bloating. I actually lost 2 lbs while on my period and it jump started me out of my plateau.

Then again due to my obesity I haven't had a period in over a year. But still I have lost 3.5 lbs since my period 2 weeks ago.
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I don't do it because I get so discouraged to see the gain (even if I'm 100% that it is water weight). So I just wait until the next week.
  • stephlake
    stephlake Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I logged it this month bc I am in a weigh in challenge and I felt like a cheater when I considered leaving my weight alone. I figure next week I will be super excited because those three lbs will drop off in addition to any other weight I lose.
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. This way I see the monthly gaining and losing it again pattern, up to 10 pounds with me!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    how can you guys retain water during your period???? All mine usually comes out in tears.....jkjk....its your own decision, if you see your number has gone up or has not gone down and it will discourage you, then don't do it.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and enter the figures into a spreadsheet which produces a graph. Because of this, the effects of events such as TOM are really obvious, and it's easy to see past that and get a clear picture of what the overall trend is doing.
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks goodness for this blog. I weighed in today and I was a tiny bit discourage even though I know Ive been doing well. Still going strong. Toodles.
  • justimogen
    justimogen Posts: 76
    Options
    I just go with the flow (bad pun)

Ha! :)

I weigh myself just to be sure things are relatively "in check" but I expect at least a 3-5 pound gain from water retention and I don't beat myself up or change anything because of the numbers I see during that week.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself two days ago (off schedule from my normal Monday weigh-in) during TOM and noted a 4 pound gain. I'm not sure if this was just TOM or eating like crap last week while in Europe. Probably both.

We'll see what happens on my Monday weigh-in after eating at regular calorie levels and working out consistently for 4 days with to TOM present.