Using sauna/steam room to recover after exercise?

Options
My gym has both a sauna and a steam room, and I was wondering how best to incorporate them into my exercise routine to minimise muscle cramps and aid recovery. At the moment whenever I've had a harder-than-normal session (or tried something new), or when I feel like I've "pulled something" I go and spend 15-20 minutes in the steam room to recover.

Is this actually beneficial? Does anyone have any specific tips on using the sauna or the steam room to aid muscle recovery or prevent soreness the next day?

(I also feel like the steam room helps my skin, but that could be just because I'm drinking so much more water...)

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    The steam room definitely helps your skin! I love it cause it opens your pores up so they can get cleaned out!

I like to stretch after a workout because the steam allows the muscles to relax therefore getting a better stretch in which all ties together to lead to less soreness the next day also while increasing flexibility :)
  • LaniBaby88
    LaniBaby88 Posts: 12
    Options
    I also have a sauna and steam room at my gym and I use the sauna after working out. I let out more sweat which someone told me is good because u sweat out all the bad juices from ur body. It is very good for ur skin though. I have noticed it after a few weeks. I dont know about it relaxing muscles but the jacuzzi does help with that :) It makes u feel very very good after a great workout.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I love the sauna! Hooray for sweat!
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    steam rooms are amazing, the heat will relax the muscles and always makes my skin feel better. unfortunately i cant afford a gym membership right now :( so havent been for a while, but steam rooms are the best thing ever
  • natl27
    natl27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also like saunas a lot. Question for you that go a lot: what do you wear when you go in? Clothes? Towel? Nothing? I'm never sure what the proper etiquette is.
  • allywilkes
    allywilkes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also like saunas a lot. Question for you that go a lot: what do you wear when you go in? Clothes? Towel? Nothing? I'm never sure what the proper etiquette is.

Hmm! The sauna in my gym is through the changing rooms but is unisex, so I usually change into a tankini after my workout and go in wearing that (towel to sit on). I see a lot of men in there wearing just shorts, but I've never yet seen another woman in there so I don't know if I've got the dress code badly wrong... the rules outside do say to shower before going in, so I think "proper" clothing might be out.