Anyone know how to make a healthy Dominos Pizza?

Options
2»

Replies

• catemar
    catemar Posts: 3
    Options
    well the nitrates and nitrites and sodium in pepperoni and not healthy even if you don't want to lose weight. (don't shoot the messenger).

refined flour likewise.

Make a pizza using whole wheat flour or ww mixed with 1/4 corn meal and less that usual amount of olive oil, use turkey sausage in small slices, small amount of cheese, (very very..perhaps mozzarello which is lower in sodium and fat), lots of herbs, sugar free tomato stuff or just fresh tomatoes as the best alternative...roll thinly....You can add other vegies as well.

It isn't only about calories but also the quality of those calories. It is possible (honest) to get used to healthy alternatives.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have made a lot of pizza at home, and I can say for sure that the thicker, more bread-y crusts do up the calories.

If the crust is what you really love about the pizza more than anything else, maybe you can make substitutions elsewhere to make up for it.
    - Turkey pepperoni is really tasty and has half the calories of regular
    - Or swap the pepperoni completely for vegetables instead
    - Reduced fat cheese
    - Maybe go a little lighter on the toppings in general
    - If you're going all in on your ideal crust, try to bump up its nutritional value by using part whole wheat flour, part all purpose

Aside from the actual pizza itself, my best advice would be portion control!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a garlic and herb pizza crust that is pretty good. If you are going to make your own, I'd definitely say try that!

If you like the pizza that much, the one recommendation that I would have is DO NOT make it something forbidden. Don't "quit cold turkey" and tell yourself that you can never eat it again. Just try to gradually cut down on how much you eat it and how often you eat it. If you really want it, have some- just plan your day around it. Put it into your food diary the night before so that you can see how much you'll have leftover for the rest of the day and go from there. Make sure to exercise on those days so that you have a little bit more leeway. If you make it a forbidden item, you are only going to want it more. The whole point of doing this is to make a lifestyle change- and in life, you are going to want, and have, pizza sometimes. That's ok!! It is just learning how to be reasonable with it. Everything in moderation. :smile:
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I make my pizzas on small wheat tortillas. With a couple of teaspoons of pizza sauce, fat free mozzarella cheese, sliced cherry tomatoes and either the mini pepperoni's or morning star italian sausage crumbled up. Put 'em on a tray, put foil over them and bake them for like.. 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted. So good.

How many calories does that wind up being? That sounds so good!
  • oooamyooo
    oooamyooo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is what I do:

1 - Joseph's Pita *60 cal*
    1/4 c - Pizza sauce (Contadina squeeze bottle) *30 cal*
    1 - Jimmy Dean Fully Cooked Turkey sausage patty *60 cal*
    1/4 c - 2% finely shredded mozzarella cheese *80 cal*
    2 - slices of canadian bacon *24 cal*

Total calories: about 254 (i'm sure there are other substitutions you can use)

I layer it all on the pita, sprinkle with some garlic salt and even some oregano and put it on a cookie sheet and bake it until the cheese is melted on 350 degrees.

Very delicious and it takes care of my pizza cravings!!