Week 2 of CSA box...so excited!

live2dream
live2dream Posts: 614 Member
How many of you out there are supporting local farms and getting produce from a local farm's CSA?? It's my 2nd year of doing this and it's so awesome! I get a box of super-fresh (like just-picked- not sitting in the supermarket losing nutrients for a month), organic, LOCAL vegetables and fruits every week for 22 weeks and get whatever's in season...they have them all over the U.S. - just check out http://www.localharvest.org/csa. It forces me to eat more veggies and try new veggies that I've never tried and is more cost-effective and convenient- I just pick up the box at the local co-op where they have their drop off location. Plus it all tastes SO MUCH better than the crap in the supermarket. Support local farmers! :D

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    My CSA starts June 18th. Can't wait!
  • His_Kid
    His_Kid Posts: 44
    Love, love, LOVE my CSA. It's like veggie Christmas!

I just put on a big pot of what I call "CSA Soup" because sometimes I just need to use up whatever's in the fridge before the next box!

2011-06-07153056.jpg

(I did mention that it's a big pot full? This is AFTER I wilted the kale and savoy cabbage just to make them FIT!)
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Omg, I can't rave enough about CSA's! I had a spring share that just ended and our summer share is starting Thursday. Being a member of a CSA is so helpful to weight loss because the fruits and vegetables I get there literally become the basis of my meals. I don't have to buy much at the grocery store and I eat so much more healthy food because my meals are better planned. I read somewhere that organic food has 30% more nutrients in it than "conventionally" grown food. I also put in a big vegetable garden this year and I'm looking forward to its harvest supplementing what I get from my CSA. Way, WAY better quality food than you can find in most grocery stores, even organic ones, I think.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Love, love, LOVE my CSA. It's like veggie Christmas!

I just put on a big pot of what I call "CSA Soup" because sometimes I just need to use up whatever's in the fridge before the next box!

2011-06-07153056.jpg

(I did mention that it's a big pot full? This is AFTER I wilted the kale and savoy cabbage just to make them FIT!)

I do the same thing with soup---LOVE IT!!
  • His_Kid
    His_Kid Posts: 44
    So, not to threadjack, but I just wanted to show the type of things I got recently, in case others wanted to see what kind of things you might get

2011-05-05142914-1.jpg

Also, here is a good ad for them. This ONE head of lettuce weighed in at 2 1/2 lb! It was so fresh that it lasted for a couple of weeks, as we used it up, and was still totally fresh and crisp when I finished it up.

2011-05-05154421-1.jpg