HOUR LUNCH

Options
Hello where i work i get a hour lunch ...i work in retail...in the past i always have gone out to eat...not only does it cost me to much money but i have put on alot of weight since i started there a year ago. my question is does anyone have any ideas what i can pack in a lunch that will be good and yet hold me over till dinner... dureing my shift at work i do not have time for small snacks in between meals so that is out. any ideas would be great thank you so much. oh and happy new year lets make it great in 2008

Replies

• fitzio1015
    Options
    Hello where i work i get a hour lunch ...i work in retail...in the past i always have gone out to eat...not only does it cost me to much money but i have put on alot of weight since i started there a year ago. my question is does anyone have any ideas what i can pack in a lunch that will be good and yet hold me over till dinner... dureing my shift at work i do not have time for small snacks in between meals so that is out. any ideas would be great thank you so much. oh and happy new year lets make it great in 2008
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Hello there! Do you have a microwave and refrigerator at work?
  • fitzio1015
    Options
    YEP AND A TOASTER PLUS I WORK AT A WALMART SUPER CENER SO I CAN BUY PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING. JUST NEED SOME IDEAS
  • MissMe9669
    Options
    Hi there! Try eating Fresh Vegatables, fruit and Protein...try to stay away from the carbs! Carbs digest too fast... making you feel tired and hungry. The Protein will help you feel full longer..as it digests at a slower rate. Fresh vegatables and fruit have a lot of fiber... which also makes you feel fuller longer!

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    dannon fit & lite yogurt with any kind of granola as long as it has the oatmeal in it. That tends to keep me full for a good long time and I do think it's because of the oatmeal in it. I make a home made granola which is great. It has nuts in it and maple syrup. Hope this helps
  • adubin
    adubin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I send my husband to work with enough food to get him through until dinner. This is what he gets (he's 6'4", 210 lbs right now):

1 apple washed
    1/4-1/2 cup mixed nuts
    1 whole turkey with mustard or PB&J sandwich
    1/2 cup Fritos for munching

Sometimes I'll add a 6 oz or 8 oz lowfat or nonfat yogurt.
    Sometimes he takes fresh veggies instead of an apple: carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, tomato
    Also, sometimes I'll add 1 small chocolate candy or a cookie

The nuts are great for you and really satisfy the appetite. You know you can't go wrong with an apple, either! We get the veggies as a tray at Sam's Club, and the tray lasts our family of 6 almost one week. Sam's Club also sells 5lb bags of apples - Gala taste really nice. And, you can get a large can of mixed nuts there too. Just try to add some walnuts to your nut mix to get the good oils for your brain:)

Look at it this way... hopefully you ate a good breakfast that included protein so you can make it until lunch. Then, don't feel bad about eating a hearty, healthy lunch. It should be a larger meal than dinner anyway, because you'll have more time left in the day to burn those lunch calories.

Having a nice variety of food to eat at lunch feels better than packing one big salad or relegating yourself to 1 sandwich, 1 fruit.
    Hope this helps!
  • jessjess
    Options
    I agree completely with "adubin"....fruits, veggies, and nuts (in moderation) are great. Also, if I don't have time to make a sandwich the night before, I grab a tuna/cracker pack. They are a great source of protein, just make sure to get the low fat ones.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hello, do you like to "pick" or "feed" ? by that I mean will a baggy full of celery and carrot sticks be more in style with you eating or a hugmongus salad with a can of tuna on top be more in line with a lunch you would like? I take a medium retangle plastic container and put in a bundh of celery sticks, some carrot slices, cuke slices, some green peppers if I have them, a couple of olives, some pickles, 1 ounce of cheese, (squares) 1 TBS peanut butter, and a sliced apple. then I munch my way through lunch while reading a book. I use the pnut butter as a dip. this gives me a veggie, carb, protein, dairy and fat all in one meal. around 250-300 calories depending on the cheese. its all finger food too. which is my favorite way to go. hope this helps. another quick idea.....have a protein drink, and go for a 45 minute walk around the store. :laugh:
  • Fayezer14
    Options
    always try the meals they sell Like the lean hot pockets.
    or those other kind of meals.
    the lean cuisine and things like that.
    They taste good,coast less, and are pretty simple.

Also soup in hand is very filling.
    =]]
  • jackielovesuriel
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I like the Smart Ones frozen dinners and a salad. It is quick and simple. The salad I buy prepared so all it needs is a little dressing and wala, there you have it. I like to put my frozen food on a plate with the salad once it is done cooking. It says home cooked all over it!
  • whathappened
    Options
    I buy a quart container of low sodium, no fat chicken broth and then I add a can of rinsed kidney beans ( or bean of your choice ) and add a frozen box of vegetables , ( mixed, broccoli, peas&onions , you get the idea ) and this makes a very filling hot soup to put in a thermos or to heat up at work. There's enough for a couple of days. Have a piece of part skim cheese and a Wasa cracker too.
  • amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What I do is on Sunday I cook up a large batch of stir fried chicken, mixed veggies and brown rice, or lean chili with kidney beans (lots of good protein) and I put them in small rubbermaid containers (all portioned out). Add an apple or some celery stix with FF dressing and you have a balanced meal, heat it up and eat it! I bet you will have extra time on your break for more exciting things!