roomies = bad food???

Options
I am having trouble staying motivated....i live with 3 roomates and they always buy cookies and chips and ice cream....pretty much everything that im trying to avoid!! And i sometimes find myself craving what they have...and ocassionally eat some....ugh how do i get over this problem.

Also i feel like i eat whenever i am just sitting in my apartment, even sometimes when im not sure if im hungry.....HELP!!! :ohwell:

Replies

• afoster4
    Options
    I am having trouble staying motivated....i live with 3 roomates and they always buy cookies and chips and ice cream....pretty much everything that im trying to avoid!! And i sometimes find myself craving what they have...and ocassionally eat some....ugh how do i get over this problem.

Also i feel like i eat whenever i am just sitting in my apartment, even sometimes when im not sure if im hungry.....HELP!!! :ohwell:
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I find logging before I eat helps. My roommate loves to order pizza and buy chips and make nachos and all that jazz. I find if I log it in and stare at just how many calories I'd have to burn off to "pay" for it I'm less likely to snatch some.
  • lesliedionne
    Options
    I have the same problem!

I don't know if there is an answer!! other then to STAY STRONG! lol...

i'm curious to see what people say! I could use the info as well!! hahaha...

either way just remember how much better you'll feel after saying no! i know for me if i do give in i usually feel really bad about myself and i hate that feeling so i try to remember that!!!

good luck!!!

:heart:
  • cassangelidy
    Options
    I find logging before I eat helps. My roommate loves to order pizza and buy chips and make nachos and all that jazz. I find if I log it in and stare at just how many calories I'd have to burn off to "pay" for it I'm less likely to snatch some.

I agree with this. If there is something bad in the house...pizza, ice cream, cake....I find out how many calories are in it....it usually deters me from eating it. We had pizza the other day...but I planned ahead and only have 2 SMALL pieces.

Once you know how many calories are in stuff...it doesn't look at tempting.
  • cassangelidy
    Options

I agree with this. If there is something bad in the house...pizza, ice cream, cake....I find out how many calories are in it....it usually deters me from eating it. We had pizza the other day...but I planned ahead and only have 2 SMALL pieces.

Once you know how many calories are in stuff...it doesn't look at tempting.
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i buy healthy alternatives to junk. when my husband is munching on doritos, i'm munching on crackers. when he's eating cookies, i eat hostess cupcakes 100 calorie pack. that way, i'm not tempted to reach in his bag and go nuts. oh, and i potion out my servings so i don't eat all the crackers in one sitting. if you can afford them, 100 calories packs are great for portion control.

good luck!
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    I know its hard living with roomates but you have to look inside u and see how bad u want this for your self and maybe explain and ask your roomates to keep those kind of foods in different non see through containers rather than original packages, so the visual temptation is not there when u open drawers and cabinets. you can also find something u like doing or go for a walk when u get those urges to snack. hope it helps a little. im sure others will have good ideas for you too. good luck and god bless.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    i buy healthy alternatives to junk. when my husband is munching on doritos, i'm munching on crackers. when he's eating cookies, i eat hostess cupcakes 100 calorie pack. that way, i'm not tempted to reach in his bag and go nuts. oh, and i potion out my servings so i don't eat all the crackers in one sitting. if you can afford them, 100 calories packs are great for portion control.

good luck!
    Exactly what I am learning to do. The DH is actually following suit.

Top thing to do is be proactive. Have something sweet and low cal to resist the ice cream and cookies on side. have Lean Cuisine Pizzas on hand to resist the order in. (one LC Pizza is equal to just one slice of regular pizza and just as tasty!!)

The next thing to do is sit down and explain how much they are sabotaging your efforts. If they are understanding and caring roommates, they will step up and help you when you're feeling weak.

:flowerforyou:
  • dancer33
    dancer33 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your problem completely!!!! Luckily for me, my three roommates generally watch what they eat as well, and one has actually been using weight watchers since last spring...BUT, there's still those times when someone brings home oreos or leftover cake or something. The other day I was about to take a few oreos out of the package for a little desert, then realized there's SEVENTY calories in each one. That stopped my craving right away. Me and my roommate thats on weight watchers have even put "bad" food in a cupboard up high that we never think about opening....out of sight, out of mind! It really worked! and, like others have said, planning ahead is the best way to go. Every night, I get on MFP and plan out what I'm going to eat the next day for every meal and snack. Getting into the habit of doing it every night makes you feel in control and like nothing can sabotage you! (I've still had relapses but it's definitely gotten better!) It's also helped with the late night eating binges...when you're thinking about the next day and how healthy you're going to be, you won't even think about grabbing a bag of chips to munch on while you study or do your homework! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!:flowerforyou:
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Like some of the others, I just eat an alternative. I eat 100 calorie packs when DH is eating chips, and when he eats pizza, I eat a lean cuisine pizza, things like that. I really dont feel like im missing out too much
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too last year...my roommate ate junk.
    She loved her McNuggets and her Ben and Jerry's

Basically as the year went on, she began gaining weight rapidly...and I stayed the same.
    I realized how damaging her lifestyle was to her and it motivated me more.