Why do some people never look like the weight they see on th

Options
My bf asked me hoe much I weigh because he likes picking me up...(he does it because i get scared--i HATE being picked up). i told him roughly 220 (im 219.4) and he laughed at me! He said you have to be at most 190! Why is it that i've gotten this "compliment" so many times?! why do people not look the weight they really are!

Replies

• arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    I wish I knew. I get that a lot. It is actually kind of frustrating. It's nice too, but people get after me when they find out that I am watching what I eat and my excersize routine. They don't believe that I weigh what I do.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I get he same thing all the time.... my husband thought I was lying when I told him I was 205!! I am pretty tall (5'9) so I think it is because I have more height to carry all my weight =)
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't know why that is. I was always told I didn't look as heavy as I am. And even now my friends say I am "skinny" but I am still 5-20lbs overweight (based on BMI). I am 150. When I was 180 people thought I was "slim". I don't get it, and I certainly don't see it.

But I think you look awesome! I looked horribly Jabba the Hut-esque when I was 220.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Were you an athlete when you were younger? Everyone always thinks I am nuts when I tell them what I weigh, thinking it should be at least 20 pounds less. Are they being nice? I've always assumed it was because even though I've gained weight I still have a pretty muscular physique under my fat layer, so I think that's why I look like I weigh less. Could be 100% wrong though!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I can't see your picture, but I think some people "look" like they weigh less than they do b/c of how or where they carry the weight.

Like if you have a thin face/chin or a narrow waist or flat stomach, it can trick the eye.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    When women dress nicely & in a way that's flattering to their body type, I think it can make you look thinner/lighter too.
  • cfer843625
    cfer843625 Posts: 57
    Options
    we all carry out weight differently.... I guess its due to some having more muscles tone than others?!! I have always been told that I didnt look like what my weight said but I was more solid I guess... I actually had some muscle under it all!!! LOL :smile:
  • omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i get that a lot...which is weird, because i'm short. as someone else mentioned, i'm pretty muscular (underneath my chub), so maybe that's it? :)
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    Were you an athlete when you were younger? Everyone always thinks I am nuts when I tell them what I weigh, thinking it should be at least 20 pounds less. Are they being nice? I've always assumed it was because even though I've gained weight I still have a pretty muscular physique under my fat layer, so I think that's why I look like I weigh less. Could be 100% wrong though!

yes yes! I swam for 10 years! That's how i feel too!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I get that too. It's nuts. Someone asked the other day and I said 191 and they were like, no way. That's not even possible. I was like yep, why would I lie heavy? Insane. Whatever. I'm horrible at guessing what people weigh.
  • nataliesophia
    Options
    I definitely think it has something to do with muscle. Even when I was 200lbs, no one could ever see it. I'm 173 now and everyone asks the same question every day - where is all of it? It guess it's just how you are built. I have a LOT of muscle for my age and as my stomach is getting smaller, it looks like everything else is even smaller, but it's not. I've learned to turn it into a compliment and it makes my day :)
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Body fat composition! People at the same weight will look differently depending on how much muscle and fat their body has.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you carry your weight. Those who have a big belly and thighs look like they weigh more than someone who has a flat belly with a big butt and boobs. I think it's a perception thing.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how this works but it's really true. I have a friend who weights less then me but looks like 25lbs heavier then I do. And we are the same height.Go figure!
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I think basing what you should weigh on BMI is bad. I am 6 foot tall and my BMI says I should be some where around 160-180 I just can't imagine being that skinny!!!! I'm 275 now and when I look in the mirror I'm not that far from where I see myself looking good. A good BMI is another 100 smaller than I am now!
  • sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of muscle too and always look about 20 pounds less than what I am, it frustrates me cuz I want to weight what I look like. One of my friends weighs about 35 pounds less than me, and I am one pant size bigger than her. I just wonder if everyone else lies about there weight but she has tiny legs and mine are all muscle.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Men are actually notoriously rubbish at guessing women's weight or clothes sizes....
  • MsTae84
    MsTae84 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same thing at times and I never understand why people tell me I look smaller than what I am. I think it is mainly based on how your body is structured. Some people carry weight different from others which tends to make some people look slimmer.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot as well. I always assumed it's because I'm apple shaped and therefore prone to storing fat in my body cavity (visceral fat as opposed to subcutaneous fat).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!