Too much protein?

Options
I have a question about protein. Each day I am under my calorie limit and my fat limit, but somehow I am over my protein limits. Is this bad? I do not think I am consuming too much protein, but it is replacing a lot of my carbs now. How much is too much?

Replies

• Siy26
    Siy26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Protein is very good to develop your muscles. Just make sure you get enough fiber so you don't get constipated. I always go over my protein goal, so, that's not a problem. Make sure you drink plenty of water and exercise at least 20 min in your down days. Good luck! :D
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    It's often stated here, and I agree, the automatic settings are too low on protein. I changed mine by upping my protein and dropping my carbs. I feel alot better!!!
  • mozyrpat
    mozyrpat Posts: 9
    Options
    A good question and an excellent answer.....funny I had been wondering the same thing ! :-)
  • chica1090
    chica1090 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks soo much for asking this because I've been getting freaked out about this. I'm always over but I am still losing. It was making nervous because I was over my proteins but way under calorie-wise. Thanks for the suggestion of changing my settings!!
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    Its better to go over protein than carbs. You should eat 0.8-1 gr of protein per pound a day. And the more you exercise the greater your protein will be.
  • FabOma08
    Options
    Its better to go over protein than carbs. You should eat 0.8-1 gr of protein per pound a day. And the more you exercise the greater your protein will be.

I hadn't heard this one! OMG! That would put my protein at a minimum of 200g! Hmmm, gotta find a T-Rex steak for that!!!!
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

That seems high to me. Even at the low end that would put me at about 136g of protein a day! I know we're saying that MFP numbers are low, but they only have me set at 48, and a calculator I just found online puts me at 76! How would I go about getting 136g of protein a day??
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I changed my setting to balance all my food out for the day, mine reads this way , 35% Protein, 35% CArbs and 30% fats. You can have a gram of protein for every pound of lean body weight. I think I would feel deprieved if I stuck with the percentage MFP gave on protein.
  • gcox31750
    gcox31750 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have always that protein is a good thing because it keeps your from being hungry and takes longer to process but who knows
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I alway go over my protein and fiber. I think MFP has it set to low.
    I watch my sodium though. I need to keep that low.
  • FabOma08
    Options
    I changed my setting to balance all my food out for the day, mine reads this way , 35% Protein, 35% CArbs and 30% fats. You can have a gram of protein for every pound of lean body weight. I think I would feel deprieved if I stuck with the percentage MFP gave on protein.

Ahh! every pound of LEAN body weight! Now that does make a difference! I also have mine at 35/35/30
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i had to change my settings so that i have 45% protein/140 grams per day. my trainer said that i need that protein because of the amount of workouts i do. if i dont replace that protein, then your body uses up protien from your muscles to repair and rebuild itself, which is what you dont want. More muscle burns more fat. whats hard is staying at 1400 calories and 140 grams of protein
  • keljo720
    keljo720 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How do I change the settings for carbs, protein, etc.?
  • keljo720
    keljo720 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Disregard my post...after digging some more, I found it.
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have always tried to get as close as i can w 1gram per lb i weigh. i feel great when i do and in turn crave protein n veggies over cake n cookies! I found that when doing extreme fitness routine aka p90x or insanity it helps to have that protein - but i split it w 60% coming from actual meat (chicken breast turkey or fish) and 40% coming from a powder. I would gag if i had to eat that much meat! I love muscle milk- keeps me full n blend in frozen fruit it makes a killer smoothie. But there are a million other great powders out there i prefer this cause i am lactose intolerant and it give you the added vitamins and carbs you need post workout. Seriously give it a shot!
  • ketojeanna
    ketojeanna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Where do I go to adjust these settings?
    It's often stated here, and I agree, the automatic settings are too low on protein. I changed mine by upping my protein and dropping my carbs. I feel alot better!!!